News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:54:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage Combat Festival 9-23-18  (Read 15860 times)

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Vintage Combat Festival 9-23-18
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
This years event is rapidly approaching. I have two new planes ready to go.
First, is a Scarinzi designed Hatchet. I had this in silk last year but not completed. Weight should come in around 18.5 oz.
 Secondly, a new Super Satan. This is probably my best effort so far. All assembled weight is 16.5 oz. Finish is 4.5mm thai silk, dye gold.
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Vintage Combat Festival 9-23-18
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »
Super Satan
AMA 13001

Offline Dennis Warchol

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »
Super nice Tom
Dennis Warchol

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:44:39 AM »
I'll take them both. Gift wrap unnecessary.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 05:58:14 AM »
Drooling already!!  Got ne Voodoo. Not flown yet. Sorry, no pics H^^  TS

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:02:29 AM »
 Wow!!! Really nice, a new contender for the shoot out. VD~
Al

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:53 AM »
Very nice.  Never enough ammo in your arsenal!
Jim Vigani

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »
Motor man....fun time for vintage combat guys...run what ya brung...few if any rules

Period correct is preferred but if you want to hang a Nelson N36C  on a Nemesis...go for it!

Big Iron with a honking hot 40 pylon engine...do IT!

Zoom back each year in the combat section and see the events and what every body brought and showed off

Up north Look in flying lines to see how they do vintage or Graffiti combat...then Bob Mears in Lubbock...then this north east Fun Fly...

old
Super Tigers
K&Bs
Johnsons
Fox mark or Xs
65% Nitro with Poly prop
6 to 12 pitch props

Note,,,if you do put a Nelson N36c on a modern Mikey Pratt Nemesis II....Make the wing durable!.....mine folded in three laps....did not get a speed but I know it was faster than Ron Columbo's fast win at the the last bladder grabber

Beating the supper Satan in a speed contest....is a serious challenge

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
MM, The whole event is an excuse to see and hear vintage combat planes in action. The more obscure the better.  There is plenty of variety!!   The LS challenge is to see how fast we can get a .36x to go on 60 ft. lines. Best so far , I think, is 126+.  G21 .35 are also 'legal' as are other vintage motors although using Blast in a Greenie or Series '61 maybe not a good idea VD~   TS

PS Matches are not disallowed but seldom take place.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »

Tom, you have become a Master Craftsman.

Those are absolutely superb. The SS is simply stunning. IF there's some type of award for "Best In Show"... the others had better get with it or you'll take home all the marbles!

You East Coast Crazies build some beautiful planes.

Andre

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
Thanks for the compliments gents! I have a couple more I'm working on and something really special if I can get them done in time.
The Hatchet will have a Johnson Combat Special. Larry's original had a small case.

Here's what I'm hoping will go down with the powerplant for this SS. I have a brand new in the box 36x bb purchased several years ago from the original owner. My hope is to get LS hisself and Al to come to my home to build one more official LS tuned 36x! Hopefully,  this motor has a good case and a p&l that can be worked. 

Yes, I'm hoping this will be a contender. Performance wise this one should really do well at 16.5 oz. My original was 18.2 and flew very well. It is now(after being buried twice) 20 oz. and still flies well.

Hope to get out soon for some test hops!

Tom
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:47:47 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »
Thanks Andre!
You will be missed this year. I have been contemplating the 17hr. drive to Tulsa for this year.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »
Tom:

IF you decide to go for it, be sure to let me know and come hell or high water I will be there so we can meet up.

Andre

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
Motorman,
  Just bring something to play with. The fun, comradery  is off the charts!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »
It's at the famed Garden State Circle Burner field.
Two Bridges rd. Lincoln park NJ. A $5 donation is all that's ask. We are there from 8am til dark!
Tom
Check out the videos from previous events. A quick search will get you there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:17:52 AM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
It's me again.

At the last few stunt contests some of the guys expressed interest in flying speed stunt with our Vintage combat planes during our gathering. So, now not only the Scarinizi speed challenge we'll add the Scarinzi stunt challenge. I have ran this by our CD Tom Hampshire and he and I will develop some rules. However, I'm asking for some input from the forum members as they may have some experience in such an event. IE: fastest pattern from launch to end of clover with bonus points for 5' bottoms #^ lol, judged , not judged. Unfortunately, we wont be able to use all suggestions but, I would appreciate some feedback. This could really be fun and some carnage too!!

Flight streaks might do really well in this one!

I think this will be loads of fun more so for the spectators than the pilots themselves!

Best
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 12:03:46 PM »
Oh if I could get him to do it again.  A gentleman used to fly my rat racers in the 60's by the name of Mike McAdams.  He would fly his VooDoos through the AMA pattern every time he flew it.   In one contest the judges said he flew too fast and they get the score written down,  Of course he gave up take off and landing points, no landing gear.   These were VooDoos on full crank case pressure.  If I had only had video recorders back then. H^^

A hint or suggestion start watch when hand signal is given to start engine and stop watch two laps after leveling off rom the clover.   Any maneuvers missed is 5 second penalty.   No points given for maneuvers just do then all on order with required laps between. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »
A few years ago at the Bladder Grabber old (very old) Bob Carver was competing in Big Block Fast and doing quite well with balsa wing (dreamsickles?) ....near the end of the day he won a match and had a full bladder to run out.... I was amazed to see a 80+ year old guy on 60 foot lines and super fast lap times....do about 80% of the PAMPA pattern.....square 8s were almost too fast to recognize
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
Yeah, I know there's plenty of guys out there that can do it. Fast guys have unbeilavable reflexes...…..

Wait a minute :! How can I not extend the invitation to the Jive Combat Team.. These guys are the most famous combat guys in the stunt community. Bring your Nemesis, Granderdogs, Tyrantulas, Winders, etc. and come fly some stunt! Heck, I'll even build some for you!

Tom

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:54:20 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 07:28:29 AM »
The following is our guidelines/rules. We want to keep it light and encourage participation.  Fly at whatever speed your comfortable with;

The objective is to perform the stunt pattern maneuvers in minimum time, from first entry to completion of the 4 leaf clover. In order to permit nostagia combat airplanes to fly without oversize fuel tanks, only one full lap between maneuvers is required. The maneuvers are not scored per se; rather the pattern is reviewed by the timer to see that all maneuvers are completed in order.

Model Eligibility Any model designed, sketched, published, constructed or offered for sale in kit form prior to 1980 which could have been used in combat is eligible, the older the better. The use of original survivor aircraft is specifically encouraged. There is no prohibition of foam wings or plastic covering, but the competitors are at liberty to abuse the fakers who ignore the tradition of silk and dope .

Fight Takeoffs and landings are not judged, handlaunch is expressly permitted. Timing starts at entry into the reverse wing over and stops at the last crossing of the intersection of the 4 leaf clover. Four inverted laps are required. One and a half laps are required after the exit from the overhead eight prior to entry into the 4 leaf clover. Any or all of the following are permitted: level flight height as high as practical, short lines, or smaller maneuvers; all to minmize flight distance and time. An entry not completing all manuevers shall receive no score, but will be accorded as many attempts as time permits.

We will also come up with some special surprise awards.

Thanks,
Tom

AMA 13001

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
Sounds really fun, wish I could make it. If anyone could shoot some video that'd be great! Thx.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
Mike,
  I will definitely have the camera rolling all day! It should be very exciting! I do hope the camera cooperates this year. mw~ Rumor has it that a few big time stunt guys might be showing up. Some even building their own combat planes.  H^^

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »
On the high speed challenge,

Please bring plenty of NITRO. I'll be looking to pass the award on to the next recipient. I'm the holder since 2015!
Unless we donate it to the "Hurl" guys!

AMA 13001

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
Today I finally got my junk running well enough to try the 'speed pattern' as described by CD  tom Hampshire. Here's the specs.  Fox .36x on pressure, original Flite Streak, 60 ft. lines, Master 10-6, about 22 sec. on the flat.

Time   2min 7 sec.   I had no idea what the time would be so this was revelatory. Potential?  Thas what we find out eh?   TS

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
You guys are gonna have a ball. Way, way back I had a flapped Flight Streak with a 36xBB. It flew a respectable pattern and I won the UMAC Weight Lift with it...somewhere around 1971 or 72. Over 8 lbs., if I recall correctly. Somewhere, I have one of  Scarinzi's  sketches of the event with all the details.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 07:42:41 AM »
Frank: Your post reads as if you aren't going to be there? (i.e. "You guys are gonna have a ball".)

Shucks, I won't be there... but if the above is so... I'm already missing you not being there!

Andre

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
Hey Andre :

You're melting my heart good buddy !

Yup, can't make this one. But I'll be back next year and I hope you will be, too.

Best regards,
Frank

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10:58 PM »
Frank:

Wife and I are thinking in terms of a New England vacation fall of 2019... but the date of same might not be conducive to attending the Combat Festival. However, if it turns out that New England is a "go" for fall of 2019, we are considering trying to swing through the Whippany area and meet up with as many of you East Coast Crazies that would be willing to do so, and eat supper together somewhere. (Or something like that.)

And yes, it's beginning to sound like this year's Combat Festival is going to be a dandy.

Andre

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 05:04:04 AM »
Andre,
  We will certainly make a day of it if you come out. We could start with a nice big Taylor Ham & egg sandwich for breakfast, Go Fly, break for lunch with a Jimmy Buff Italian hotdog. Go fly! Top the day off with a great dinner. I have a very good cardiologist to clear us out!!
  Seriously, if you make it out your welcome to grab a flight with any of my fleet.

Weather permitting test flight on the new SS tomorrow!

Best,
Tom
AMA 13001

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 06:42:58 AM »
What is the record?

I think short lines are a mistake and a safety issue.   

Vintage combat planes flew on .015" x 60' until they started breaking on test flights.
.018" x 60' triggered the flyaway shutoff rule.
I think permitting substandard lines puts you on thin ice.
Paul Smith

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 08:00:07 AM »
Paul,
  There have been zero comments about using substandard equipment in any of our speed runs. We are all flying on 015× 60' lines. Truly period correct stuff! If you care not to believe that we are going the speeds we claim, you have that right.  However, you're wrong!

We are all having a tremendous amount of fun with these vintage combat days. Why must some people insist on trying to bring it down.  I'll yet again record flights and walk the lines with a tape measure and do everything to accurately back up our results. Yet someone will say the video isn't in real time!
I will add that we are not flying matches on 015 lines.

Let's put that to bed and have FUN with these old designs and stop the BS!

TOM
AMA 13001

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
Paul :
I will add to what Tom said. The construction and finished products( read silk and dope) that are displayed and flown at the Vintage Combat Meet here in NJ are the equal of top line stunt models. I guess that it's more than coincidence that the entries are built and flown by some really good stunt flyers. These ships are too nice for combating, IMO.

As Tom said, .015 x60' 7 strand lines( all fresh , not left over from the 60s and 70s) are period correct .
If someone wishes to do a match(rare), they hook up .018s.

Folks have driven very long distances to observe and join in what we're doing here. And the comments and compliments
match the products, efforts, and attention to safety.
Frank

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Getting back on track. I had mentioned this before. Here's an old picture of a very young Frank Imbriaco launching Mike Luciano's Super Satan.
 I have some others of Scarinzi as a very young man too. Need to dig them up!
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
An intelligent man will also know when to use common sense. For instance, my 55mph 64oz. Crossfire in level flight pulls probably 5 times harder on the same lines as 18.5oz 120 mph Super Satan. I would love to see this speed to weight formula. I'm sure we are well within it. The move to 018 was to help prevent line cuts from prop strikes or line tangles. Heck I see flyaways in speed limit on 018's.

Hope you make it Walt!!
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
From AMA speed section,

When calculating the expected flight loads for the "acceleration" events, 1/2A Proto, .21 Proto and F-40 speed, ect, use 107% of the Record Speed as a base.  Multiple the Record Speed by 1.07 and use this number as "V" for calculating the Max Expected Flight Loads." Max load (pounds) = .0668 x M x 1.2 x V2 R  M = maximum model weight (pounds), R = line length in feet. 

Line Sizes The line sizes for single line applications shall be such that the maximum expected flight load in pounds shall not exceed 56% of the minimum breaking strength of the wire size being utilized. If the maximum expected flight load exceeds this number, the line size shall be increased to the next standard wire size that will satisfy the above criteria.  Additionally, for two-line control systems, the maximum expected flight load in pounds must not exceed 86% of the minimum breaking strength of one wire.  In the event this number is exceeded, the line size shall be increased as described above.

If I'm doing this correctly, I come up with 28lbs(1.1lb model at 130mph). I believe .015 wire min. breaking strength is 40lbs. 86% of 40 is 34.4ibs. Again not sure if all my facts are correct.
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
Figured I better share prior to test flights. As it sits it came in at 16.89oz. With APC it will be 17oz. I will probably grab a qtr.oz. when I sand and buff. Should still be a great weight just really wanted to hit 16.5 or below.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:11:25 PM by Tom Luciano »
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
Beautiful  airplane, Tom, simply beautiful.

Andre

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2018, 09:19:17 PM »
      Very nice, get LS to autograph it and clear over it.
Al

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2018, 09:34:55 PM »
What is the record?
  127 MPH, Super Satan powerd with a 36XBB, 4 timers in front of at least 20 people, 2016 Combat festival.
Al 

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2018, 06:37:48 AM »
Figured I better share prior to test flights. As it sits it came in at 16.89oz. With APC it will be 17oz. I will probably grab a qtr.oz. when I stand and buff. Should still be a great weight just really wanted to hit 16.5 or below.

ARTWORK !!

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »
Started building one of my designs from 1960 when I was in high school.  Found some pictures of it in an old box full of photos.  I called it the "Able."  Redrew the plans in CAD and cut the parts.  Should be framed up by next week.
Jim Vigani

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 12:27:09 PM »
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Very nice!!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »
I like it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Yesssss!

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »
Jim :

To think you were doing all of this 10 miles or so from Union and not a UMAC'er ...

Neat ship !

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2018, 06:38:47 AM »
This one is ready too. Wrap readouts tonight. A bit porky but a fairly large wing. I believe this to be very similar to the original VooDoo not the kitted version. Its considerably bigger when I hold them together. It's a replacement for my 45 year old VooDoo.
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2018, 06:39:19 AM »
AMA 13001

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »
Oooo... Johnson CS powered!

You guys are gonna' have a ton of fun!

Andre

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2018, 05:01:08 AM »
We got out yesterday to dust off all the old girls. We did a lot of tinkering in preparation of next months festival. I got to maiden my new Super Satan. I made a quick clip of the mostly boring flight, for those that were interested. This plane is by far my best example of this design. Engine ran great on Sig 10-22 fuel. This plane should be in the hunt for top speed. We also played around with Speed Stunt a bit. That was a tremendous amount of fun!

AMA 13001

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here