News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Videos of the 2018 NATS  (Read 7139 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Videos of the 2018 NATS
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2018, 09:52:37 AM »
Sparky, the old DOC really appreciates what you and a few others are doing for those of us that can't or don't attend the NATS.   Not having sound on main computer I just watch the videos and later go to the lap top which has sound.   Remember your goal is to make the top twenty if not the top five.  Be great if you and Dave Trible could make top 5.  By the nay sayers probably don't even know what they are looking at.   So you all keep having fun. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
Re: Eyes on the Prize
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
Bob - this may be too late to help, but while I like seeing what it going on, don't lose track of the real goal - qualifying. You have a golden opportunity here, a good clean flight seems to be all you need, and then you are a NATs Qualifier. Lots of people have lost the bubble and had that slip away. Videos are swell, but you are there to compete, not play Steven Spielberg.

Brett

He made it. Qualified 4th on his circle.

Derek

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »
That’s great news!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »
He made it. Qualified 4th on his circle.

Beat Dixon, huh?  That's nothing to sneeze at, Tom was flying great last I saw him in Classic.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
I'm going with two thumbs up to you, and anyone taking the time and trouble to record contests for those unable to attend.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2018, 11:33:11 AM »
  Beat Dixon, huh?  That's nothing to sneeze at, Tom was flying great last I saw him in Classic.

Brett

That's pretty much what I told him.

Derek

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »
Congrats Robert!
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2018, 02:18:59 PM »
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »
Is the heat getting to the recorder?  Thanks for the video.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2018, 07:24:21 AM »
Wow. A pay phone? You don’t see those every day.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »
AMA 12366

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
If I had them, Sparky, I'd give you THREE thumbs up.  Ignore the negatives.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2018, 07:49:44 AM »
What happened to the finals video?  I only had time to watch a small part yesterday.  Had my popcorn ready and went to see the whole show - not there!

Just curious, I am sure there is a good reason.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »
What happened to the finals video?  I only had time to watch a small part yesterday.  Had my popcorn ready and went to see the whole show - not there!

Ken

So much whining about my crappy reporting I took is down to use in the edited version. I will have it done soon.
AMA 12366

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2018, 09:24:16 AM »
So much whining about my crappy reporting I took is down to use in the edited version. I will have it done soon.
The only thing crappy about your reporting was the idiots complaining about it.  As for the inverted - Somebody forgot to tell one of the judges that you only judge the 3rd & 4th laps!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »
One of the things, other than the flights, that caught my attention was the modest handful of spectators and hangers on following the action.  Their presence and enthusiastic response for the final flights used to be a big part of the flyoff's magic.    The lack of crowds milling around the score boards in the Pagoda was especially surprising.

I'm curious to know whether there was a banquet such as there used to be, after the finals, which tended to keep folks around and, thus, watching the Top V, Junior/Senior finals and Walker Flyoff.  Thus, that evening's banquet and awards ceremony was the standard CLPA Nats wind-up for most participants.  Seemed a little bit of an energy sapping let down.  Hope I'm wrong.

Ted

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
I, like many, wish I could have been there.  But.  The Nats are a full week long and that is a lot of time and money to be spent in Muncie Indiana.  Years ago when I attended the Nats, they moved around the country and when you went you actually got to see ALL of the model airplane (even Indoor at Chicopee) activities.  There is no hope of consolidating all events into one Nats.  But, I really wish we could do 2 things: 1) shorten the Nats for PA to 4 days; 2) move it around the country.

I suppose there are a number of reasons why we can't, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good idea.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
Seemed a little bit of an energy sapping let down.  Hope I'm wrong.

I obviously wasn't there the last few years, but the energy has been sapping out of it, obviously, for about 10 years now. Since it has been held in Muncie, the attendance from remote areas (like, more than a days drive or so) has fallen off dramatically, and almost no one goes who isn't directly involved. So few spectators. The experiment with Expert also had a negative effect - instead of drawing more entrants, it split the existing advanced field. Then, when it was dropped, those people didn't show back up or enter open, they just didn't go.

As you know as well as anyone, with it permanently 2500 miles from the biggest area of participation, any no practical way to get there aside from driving, it's a grind. Now, you get mostly midwest/east coast local competitors, and the guys going for the top places, and not a lot of the guys in the middle going for experience.

This is just my opinion, of course, but going to Muncie every year for 20+ years, it has lost a lot of the appeal as a special event. You still get the best fliers showing up, for the most part, it's still a the best contest,  but it's not a "happening" the way it used to be. You get more turnout and spectators, and "hangers on" at the NWR or the Golden State meet, than the NATs

I know you were trying to make a point, but of late, as far as I can tell, no one considered the banquet a draw, and just like the event itself, it was getting very ordinary and there's not a lot you can do about it. How many times can you go to the Muncie convention center and have it be special? What you saw on Saturday was not a lot different from what it was on Thursday (at least at the recent NATs I have attended). It has the feel of a Team Trials much more than the old NATs.

Brett

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »

Ken

Watch the unedited version here.

Word of warning this is an unlisted video and can only be accessed from Stunt Hangar.
AMA 12366

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
Watch the unedited version here.

Word of warning this is an unlisted video and can only be accessed from Stunt Hangar.

THANKS!
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »
  I obviously wasn't there the last few years, but the energy has been sapping out of it, obviously, for about 10 years now. Since it has been held in Muncie, the attendance from remote areas (like, more than a days drive or so) has fallen off dramatically, and almost no one goes who isn't directly involved. So few spectators. The experiment with Expert also had a negative effect - instead of drawing more entrants, it split the existing advanced field. Then, when it was dropped, those people didn't show back up or enter open, they just didn't go.

As you know as well as anyone, with it permanently 2500 miles from the biggest area of participation, any no practical way to get there aside from driving, it's a grind. Now, you get mostly midwest/east coast local competitors, and the guys going for the top places, and not a lot of the guys in the middle going for experience.

This is just my opinion, of course, but going to Muncie every year for 20+ years, it has lost a lot of the appeal as a special event. You still get the best fliers showing up, for the most part, it's still a the best contest,  but it's not a "happening" the way it used to be. You get more turnout and spectators, and "hangers on" at the NWR or the Golden State meet, than the NATs

I know you were trying to make a point, but of late, as far as I can tell, no one considered the banquet a draw, and just like the event itself, it was getting very ordinary and there's not a lot you can do about it. How many times can you go to the Muncie convention center and have it be special? What you saw on Saturday was not a lot different from what it was on Thursday (at least at the recent NATs I have attended). It has the feel of a Team Trials much more than the old NATs.

Brett

Brett:

I think I agree with you about 110%.  The extra 10% is the week long format.  Unless this is all you do then getting away for a week is difficult and if you don't have a family that wants to go along it is really difficult.  Then you have may have just come back from a week at Brodak and almost that at VSC.  If I can only do one which it looks like will be the case in the upcoming 2-3 years, I cannot make a case for the NATS over the others.

One other change that may be causing lower turn out is other events.  We have had this format for a while so the initial affect was probably years ago but many of us fly something other than stunt.  If you are going to compete it means a summer in Muncie.  That is really cool if you live in Muncie but if you don't it means you have to pick your event.

I do not have the long recent history that you do.  I have only been back at it since January and flying since March
and remotely competitive since June.  When I look at the planes in the finals and ask myself if I have the time to build one I have to say that I don't think I do if the only place it really matters will be the NATS.  If there was one plane in the finals that had under 500 hours in it I would be shocked, especially if you count trimming and the travel necessary to do it.  Maybe the NATS has become a gathering of the elites and we should treat it as such.  Other sports use regionals to qualify.  Perhaps that may be an answer, maybe not.  Maybe there just isn't an answer.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:30:37 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here