News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:53:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video camera for practice  (Read 2035 times)

Offline TDM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Video camera for practice
« on: October 30, 2018, 06:44:18 AM »
I have started to use the video camera in my phone to record practice flights. I quickly learned that it may not be so good for that. Maybe is better with more light.
So here is the subject on hand do you practice with video camera and if yes is there a inexpensive camera good for this purpose a camera that you want to leave in your flight box and you can beat it up. Maybe something that can focus on the plane rather than the pilot in the center.

Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Video camera for practice
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:51:02 AM »
I use a Sony Cx-405. Records in hd. Pretty versatile. Small. Paid $275 4 years ago for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Donald Main

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »
I have used a Go Pro with a hat clip and was impressed with the results. I didn't know I was making noises as I was flying.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
Oh yea I also use my gopro. Heres a vid from yesterday.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 07:30:58 AM »
I don't want to use it in the center of the circle but outside it like in the judges position so it will be fixed position.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 07:32:42 AM »
I don't want to use it in the center of the circle but outside it like in the judges position so it will be fixed position.

Thats how i use my sony handheld. Tripod outside circle

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 07:40:52 AM »
James what do you do for focus?
Or maybe the question should be: any tips on how to properly set the camera for best results?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
I have a Snap-Cam and a cheapie Go-Pro.   That I have been learning to use.  Had a good video from outside of circle that I took of one of Dave Trible's practice flights.   Both cameras have no focus and the videos look okay.  Problem is down loading as I had Dave's flight down loaded and when I watched it disappeared .   Ialso have the head mount for the Go-Pro.  Need to get in the mood to go fly. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
I use a Mobius ActionCam.  Cost me $70 and it does 1080P at 30FPS and 720P at 60FPS.  Very good picture for the price.  I keep it on 1080P.  I just took a throw-away ballcap my wife gave me after one of her meetings and mounted the camera to the bill with a velcro strap.  It weighs so little that I don't even know the camera is there.  Evidenced by the fact that I usually forget to stop recording after my flights, and have to delete a half hour of footage of just walking around after the plane lands.  Here's the cap, sorry for the large picture size, but I'm at work and don't have time to size.

Mark

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »
Or maybe the question should be: any tips on how to properly set the camera for best results?
Usually I aim to fet camera at a distance to where you can see the plane make the laps  then zoom in till the plane is maybe a 1/8 or so from the edge of both sides of the screen. Its hard for me to explain. But Ill dig around as I have many videos of me and others flying.

The hardest thing bout filming myself is having the camera setup up recording downwind and then the wind change and having to do manuevers at a viewing angle thats tough to see how correctly Im doing them. Which isnt often lol.

I recorded my first 2 flights from our contest weekend before last. Had camera right by my flight box by the pit and sadly its facing sideways. All you can really see good is my laps. Ill look into editing it and getting it loaded. I do however have my 2nd flight of PA in Tulsa from last month. Ill get the link and time spot to start watching.

Im using a small tripod that stands a foot up. Not ideal. A full size tripod that sits at 5ft would be best as you would be eye level.  I dont mind my.little tripod from the upward angle it shows.cause the judges at the contests i been goin too are sitting down most of the time so I see what they see in a way.

Hold tight

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
Yea most video of me recording from the circle can most certainly not be rated PG13 lol
I talk to my plane all the time, it's when it starts talking back is the problem.

Motorman 8)

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 03:18:26 PM »
Here is the video from Tulsa. It was very overcast so lighting is bad and hard to see my dark twister at times.

At 1:04:00 on the vid I start walking into the circle for my 2nd Official PA flight and its terrible lol.

Video is over an hour long. If ya start from beginning youll see the beginners and Jr. Beginners. Im the last to fly.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 06:45:52 AM »
That kind of answer my question. Your camera on auto focus focused on the judges all the time and the part we want to evaluate got shot out of the picture. So my take on this is put the camera on manual focus and set for the background where the plane does the maneuvers.
Right now i will stay with the phone camera because I don't have 200$ to burn on a new camera.
James you are ready for a better bird. Get an SV11.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 06:50:09 AM »
That kind of answer my question. Your camera on auto focus focused on the judges all the time and the part we want to evaluate got shot out of the picture. So my take on this is put the camera on manual focus and set for the background where the plane does the maneuvers.
Right now i will stay with the phone camera because I don't have 200$ to burn on a new camera.
James you are ready for a better bird. Get an SV11.
Honestly Ive never looked into switch the focus to manual. This is something I will play with Friday when I get to ElDorado for their contest.  Watching this video last night on my 50" tv i noticed it was grainy during laps.

Always ready for a new plane :). Infact waiting for it to get in the mail. Will be my winter build and hopefully I build it good enough to maybe take to the Nats this year.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
Ill see you at the NATS then. What did you buy? I was watching your video and flight and the camera was focusing on everything it wanted to sometimes on the pilot most of the time on the judges.
Guise it look like at minimum we need manual focus and a 60 in tripod. Good resolution is a plus.
The second question is do we need a High def or 4K camera? It looks that 4K might be a better option.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:46:54 AM by TDM »

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
Ill see you at the NATS then. What did you buy? I was watching your video and flight and the camera was focusing on everything it wanted to sometimes on the pilot most of the time on the judges.
Guise it look like at minimum we need manual focus and a 60 in tripod. Good resolution is a plus.
The second question is do we need a High def or 4K camera? It looks that 4K might be a better option.
Legacy 40

I dont think a 4K is needed.  Its all in the camera height. The focus as you mentioned. And lighting. Plus being close enough to really see.

My camera was a foot off the ground at an up angle. Plus with judges in front as well.  Get my camera at 5ft. With noone but me in the circle flying. On a good sunshine day. It looks fine.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
Should have gone with the full size Legacy. You just switched from a 40 size to another 40 size with a little more performance.

Here is the thing I discovered how to lock the exposure and focus on my smart phone and it has enough resolution so that will have to do. If i find that it works I will share my findings. Thanks everyone.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »
I paid big buck a couple years ago for a special Sony camcorder with wide angle and projection so I could hopefully shoot it up on the wall and maybe use a grease pencil to mark spots.  It is very sensitive to light so nearly any sunlight makes for a very dark picture even on the playback screen and the projection then is nearly worthless.  The slo-mow would be great-if I could see anything.  I've tried hard to obtain a proper cable to down load onto the computer.  I had to get the Sony software download.  Neither the MacBook nor the Inspiron will recognize the cam......
I then used my phone on a stand a few times.  The video is great and the MacBook loves it but the battery drops FAST and the memory fills in a hurry.
Finally a found a cheap Vivitar type Go Pro cam at Walmart-about $50.  This seems to be the bees knees.  It records on a TINY card.  I then put that into a bigger card gadget then slip it into the computer.  "Marvelous Dolling!!"
I do think a camera at the center of the circle has limited utility.  You can't get any perspective on the shapes from the the most important place-the judges viewpoint, and it's moving all the time.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 05:44:53 AM »
I would never place the camera at the center of the circle for practice footage, for sure outside the circle far enough to catch everything. For a few flights i think the smart phone should work OK.
I have a question for Go Pro users: is there a way to adjust manually the focus and exposure? I do believe that is important.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 05:49:54 AM »
I would never place the camera at the center of the circle for practice footage, for sure outside the circle far enough to catch everything. For a few flights i think the smart phone should work OK.
I have a question for Go Pro users: is there a way to adjust manually the focus and exposure? I do believe that is important.
You can turn the "fisheye view" off. But it still was a widish round effect.

I use the GoPro Hero 4 session. It lacks what all other big gopros have. A replaceable battery.  And I dont believe there is a zoom option. And I never noticed it focus on one certain thing.

I love the quality of the video Gopro makes. Just wish mine would record a normal looking video.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 11:34:59 PM »
I have been using an old IPhone5 successfully for awhile.  I have a small cell phone tripod that I set about 1' off of the ground about 10' back from where our judges sit.  I angle it so that the bottom is just showing the circle.  Only  problem is that it won't move when the wind changes.  I usually end up with the camera about 10-15 degrees off.  I bought a cheap video editor to crop off the old bald fat guy walking from the camera to start his engine and the trip back when the flight is done.  Works pretty good.  I also have an IPhone6.  It takes better pictures but not that much better. 

This was the first flight after adding a new Morris system so forgive the sloppy intersections.  I highly recommend recording your pattern every so often.  Sometimes we think that we are not making progress and getting better is hopeless.  Going back and seeing just how much worse I was makes me feel better about how bad I still am.  It is also a fantastic way to check trim.

Even watching it here is pointing to something I need to change.  Yea, I know the intersections are in different zip codes but that was a difference in turn rate that I trimmed out already.  No, this was intentional.  I exit the overhead 8 to the side to keep from having to turn around.  It is past the "stop" so I didn't think it mattered and, maybe officially it doesn't,  but man does it look like crap and it is the last thing the judges see before writing down the score.

Ken

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:05:55 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
Here is the video from Tulsa.
James - I think your camera angle is near perfect.  I do it almost exactly the same only about 10' closer to the circle.  We normally have sitting judges too and this angle is the closest to what they see.  If you go to 5' you end up cutting the top of the pattern off and you can't see what you are doing wrong overhead.  I moved mine in till I started to go off camera at the top then moved it back.  I am covering all of my practice planes in white now.  Very easy to see against the background.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
James - I think your camera angle is near perfect.  I do it almost exactly the same only about 10' closer to the circle.  We normally have sitting judges too and this angle is the closest to what they see.  If you go to 5' you end up cutting the top of the pattern off and you can't see what you are doing wrong overhead.  I moved mine in till I started to go off camera at the top then moved it back.  I am covering all of my practice planes in white now.  Very easy to see against the background.

Ken
Cool. Just got into Eldorado. Goin to walmart now to get a big tripod lol

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
I have started to use the video camera in my phone to record practice flights. I quickly learned that it may not be so good for that. Maybe is better with more light.
So here is the subject on hand do you practice with video camera and if yes is there a inexpensive camera good for this purpose a camera that you want to leave in your flight box and you can beat it up. Maybe something that can focus on the plane rather than the pilot in the center.

TDM-
I'd suggest you look on Ebay or such for an older interchangeable lense camera with video.  I've used several Panasonic G series cameras.  You can pick several different screen sizes, standard 1080p is probably the best for this.  Use a tripod with the camera 5 ft off the ground.  Set it back about 20 ft from the flight path.  Mark the center of the circle so you don't wander into the camera by accident.  Arrange the bottom of the picture at the pilot's feet.  Adjust the manual focus, the lens size(mm diameter) for the width of the picture, and the f setting and shutter speed for the brightness of the picture.  Put a flag or other marker directly across from the camera to keep the maneuvers centered.

You can probably find a Panasonic DMC G-5 and a 25mm lens for under $200.  Or with the 14-44 kit lens.  either will work.

You get the truest picture from straight upwind.  But it's a good idea to practice 10-15° off downwind.  It'll happen in competition and it is REALLY good to know how the wind affects the plane when your off center.
phil Cartier

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
Definitely a used camera will do just fine.
For now I want to check to see what results do I get with what I have. Pretty sure I have to use the manual focus.
James that was good but you see the focus is on you all the time and the model in the background gets lost. One thing I noticed is that you can get nice video with just your phone.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »

TDM,
I use my old phone as well..   Usually, I just leave my old Samsung S-3 in my flight box either for to video flights or provides background tunes (using Bluetooth).  The rez on the phone seems not too bad for that purpose. 

Here's a clip I took with it a while back.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:42:19 PM by Joe Yau »

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 04:26:53 AM »
I tried the manual focus on my camera and it is something you would have to mess with. Recorded all day saturday just to find out its all fuzzy. Back to auto focus for me.

Now what I do like is the trippd I got from walmart comes with a Gopro mount and a phone mount!!!!
 Just so happen to have an old Galaxy S4 that I could try with it. Tough part is prying it from my 1 yr old cause she loves "her" phone since she cant touch mommie n daddies phone lol.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 06:37:00 AM »
So was the focus in the general area where the model would fly?
I wonder maybe more frame rate will work better? Yes is tough to get the model in focus and the picture relatively clear. These cameras are not made for small fast moving objects. 

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 06:44:51 AM »
So was the focus in the general area where the model would fly?
I wonder maybe more frame rate will work better? Yes is tough to get the model in focus and the picture relatively clear. These cameras are not made for small fast moving objects.
Yea thats why i think a more advanced camera would work. Also hard to tell the focus on the flip out lcd screen when outside. It looked clear when i started recording. Low and behold it wasnt.

I can see my plane fine when auto focus is on. Get the angle of camera where the ground is just on bottom of screen and its fine. You wont get a perfect 1080 or 4k view of the plane by itself especially when flying by yourself.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
Cameras, including video, require some tricks.
Depth of field- you get good focus over a limited distance.  A higher f-stop setting gives a deeper depth of focus.  At f8-f11 or so you can get a depth of field around 50 ft.  There are calculators on line to help.  BUT it cuts down the amount of light.  The latest phones do a pretty good job, but the useable size of the image is small.  It takes all sorts of internal processing tricks to get a decent image from a tiny sensor with not very much light.

Shutter speed- a faster shutter speed gives a clearer picture because the plane moves less while the shutter is open.  1/1000th of a second is sort of a minimum shutter speed.  On a bright sunny day you can go as much a 1/3200 and stop a 90mph plane in it's tracks.

ISO setting adjusts the sensor to mimic various film speeds.  With good light, a trophy picture at ISO 125-200 will look great on almost any camera.  As the light gets dimmer the ISO has to go up.  ISO 800-1600 is about the limit for most consumer cameras.  In bright sunshine ISO 3200 and at f1.7-2.8 you can clear, sharp pictures of planes in flight.

Speed of focus- it takes the camera time to adjust with autofocus.  Unless you have a really good camera(>>$1000) you have to balance the ISO setting("film" sensitivity), focal length, shutter speed, and the lens.  I have been able to get the camera(Pana DMC-G7) at 6frames/sec get 5 out of 6 shots focused on a stunt plane about 40 ft. from the edge of the circle.

Now you can have a whole 'nother Hobby!

I still pine for my dad's old 35mm Kodak camera.  It had a great lens and an automatic light sensor adjustment.  With ISO 400 film you could get nice pictures almost anywhere.
phil Cartier

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
You definitely want a tripod positioned up wind with a checkered flag or marker on the opposite downwind side. Use the tripod and the checkered flag for intersections and try not to move with the wind changes. You do want to see the maneuvers, otherwise what is the point?

Like previously said, practicing to one side or the other of dead downwind is not necessarily a bad thing if the wind changes a bit. It will happen at a contest with the added benefit of also changing for overhead maneuvers. Use a bit of common sense here, biasing maneuvers around a changing wind is fine with 7mph winds, but it is an entirely different animal in 17MPH winds. Some days are just not good filming days.

For focusing, most video cameras and phones have an AE Focus Lock. Focus on the downwind checkered flag and use AE Focus Lock with a higher aperture (11-16 is OK - even F8 will work in a pinch) and the fastest shutter speed you can get with those aperture settings for the lighting conditions. Your focus will not change once you enter AE Focus Lock. Bright daylight will yield the best combination for aperture and shutter speed settings.

If you are using a phone camera, do NOT use the digital zoom feature in your filming. It will result in much lower image resolution. Even optical zooms lens are not ideal. Use your feet and a non zoom lens of the correct size to position the tripod, just make sure you can get most of the pattern in the view without getting too close to the inside of the circle. You can get a variety of clip on wide angle lenses for most phone cameras online (Amazon, etc.) which will fit the bill with a little experimenting. My iPhone XS has two separate camera lenses, one wide angle and one telephoto. You can experiment attaching a wide angle clip to either of the cameras to add more flexibility to the equation. With phone cameras, never activate the digital zoom by pinching or pulling the screen.

Get your camera up high on the tripod - five feet if you can get there or the closest you can get to that. Shooting from a low or high angle distorts the image (and the accuracy of your maneuvers on film). You might consider weighting the base of your tripod on windy days to keep things steady. Some cameras have image stabilization, thought I have not experimented with that. The bottom of the frame should be no lower than the feet of the pilot. I personally try to get the pilot waist up to include everything I can of the maneuvers.

Along with the other benefits of using a tripod, if you have a helper who can actually operate the tripod while you are flying, they can use the tilting feature to raise the camera angle for overheads if needed. Panning is not much of an option considering your helper may have no idea when or where you are going to start a maneuver if you decide you need to follow the wind. Light winds are obviously best for maintaining the same intersection points consistently thru the flight.

You have a lot of good suggestions here - good filming :)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 10:45:57 PM »
You definitely want a tripod positioned up wind with a checkered flag or marker on the opposite downwind side. Use the tripod and the checkered flag for intersections and try not to move with the wind changes. You do want to see the maneuvers, otherwise what is the point?
Your setup is perfect but, I don't think it is a good idea to force the position of maneuvers just for the camera.  Unless there is a radical wind shift the judges are going to stay put.  Seeing the pattern from an angle can really help if you are called on to judge.  The Hourglass is the worst of the bunch if viewed from an angle.  I position the camera just like you do but I forget it is there when I fly.  When the wind blows at Hobby Park in Dallas it always choppy and constantly changing direction.  I think there is a local wizard that hates stunt fliers hiding in the bushes who causes the wind to shift 90 degrees just after you start the overhead eight. We are used to it and so are our judges so you don't see them sprinting around the circle to keep up with the wind shifts much and if you stick around you will see some rather comical OH8's from some pretty good fliers....on video.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2018, 07:35:49 AM »
Hustle right over to Home Depot today and pick this up-$30.00.  Video cam for practice with WiFi download to your computer.  Very limited number brought in for Black Friday- not a normal stock item.  I’m using a Vivitar nearly like it but without the WiFi and paid double.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »
AMA 20934

Advertise Here