News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VF-211 and the F-14 I am quite proud of these photos  (Read 8921 times)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
VF-211 and the F-14 I am quite proud of these photos
« on: March 18, 2006, 08:21:30 PM »
Here is my paint scheme from 1975. if you like F-14's http://instapinch.com/blog/?p=103

I am not sure when these photos were taken but the paint hasn't changed much, however they did loose the Red white and blue stripes from the canopy area down.

In 75 we were off the Constellation then onto the big E. Anyone notice the F4U in the center?

I cant believe it I found a picture of the Bicentennial plane there too. I designed this paint scheme for VF-124 as well. Got a 7 day pass for it.

Thats my baby! If you cant see model airplane there I don't know what to tell you! this picture was taken in front of VF-124's hangar NAS Mirimar CA. However now that I look at this picture I could have laid the 76 out differently. The paint used on these planes was  2 part EPOXY. Cost of this KIT in 1974 was 23 million dollars (not bad because it included two PA JET 8500000 engines Plus wheels and fuel tanks).The Phoenix missiles extra at 1 mil EA.

Anyone for a donut?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 06:35:13 AM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
Re: VF-211
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 09:28:50 PM »
The John C. Stennis did not start sailing with an Air Wing on board until 1996 or 1997, so the pics are at least that old. 
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 07:47:03 AM »
Must be fun when they pop thru that hole.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »
 F-14's are the coolest jets EVER and I don't even like jet's!
 I will never EVER forget the full-blown carrier demo I witnessed around '79-'80 when I was about 14 at Oshkosh. I was lucky enough to have some "connections" and was standing right out on the edge of the runway during a full afterburner takeoff, probably not more than 50 feet from the airplane. The guy launched it, and as soon as you noticed daylight under the wheels he pointed it STRAIGHT up into a clear blue sky and started slow-rolling vertical while the wings started sweeping back. He didn't chop the throttle until about 10 seconds after he and the glow from the pipes completely disappeared. It was a few seconds after that when the ground stopped shaking. The only thing that even compares to this experience is standing right between two Top Fuel cars at the Christmas tree when the light goes green, but as crazy as that is it's not like the Tomcat!
 I for one thought it was a sad day recently when they retired the last of the "Cats".
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
I was a thrill when we use to run the engines at the test cell and throw them into Zone 5 AB. Felt like a million HP.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:42:11 PM by Robert Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
Re: VF-211 and the F-14 I am quite proud of these photos
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 08:11:45 AM »
I used to be the MMCO at NAS Memphis AIMD.  Robert, as you already know, the A-4 and A-6 engine is the loudest engine ever to be produced, especially on a static test cell.  Well, we had a backlog of A-4 engines to RFI.  My Power Plant CPO wanted to work the weekend and get caught up, so, I let him.  He ran one of those things up on the test cell during morning church services.  Needless to say, I got a call from the Base Commanding Officer to shut that thing down.  Guess he thought "God" did not enjoy the "Sound of Freedom".
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:08:09 AM »
Worked the flight deck on the USS Hancock and USS Ranger during 1974-1978.
Worked the catapult on both, launched many of these aircraft,Also A-4 and F-7.  Best time of my life
Steve Adams

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 06:50:04 AM »
I always wondered who painted those cool planes. Nice job Sparky!

I got to do a dependent cruise in the Med back in the 70’s onboard the USS America. We were laying in the webbing around the flight deck after the planes were launched and we got a free airshow.  I will never forget the sound and the feel when an F-4 came by and broke the sound barrier. Very loud and very kewl.

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 11:08:44 AM »
Paul,

I was on the last cruise of the USS America 1996.  It was a cold dreary cruise, we spent most of the time off the coast of Bosnia.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 11:43:21 AM »
Paul,

I was on the last cruise of the USS America 1996.  It was a cold dreary cruise, we spent most of the time off the coast of Bosnia.

Louis,
Hope you are feeling better, and about ready to fly when the weather warms up!

I was sad to hear that they took her out and sank it as a reef.  Seems like they could have docked it and gave tours or something.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline madhitter

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 10:51:50 PM »
I had about the same experince as wwwarbird while viewing a show at (the late) NAS Glenview, IL.    It was one of the last shows they had at Glenview and my boys and I will never forget it.

SB
Stephen F Bonczkowski

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 09:25:52 PM »
Sparky,
You might have been on board the Big E during my Dad's last cruise.  He was Maint/Materials officer for an E-2Q squadron.  He retired shortly thereafter.  An early member of the Gulf of Tonkiin Yatch Club and avionics instructor at NATS Millington a couple of rotations.   Was the NCOIC of some of the electronics systems installations on the Big E.
CWO-4 Bill Little.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 06:50:56 AM »
The most dangerous place on earth is an aircraft carrier. It was organized confusion. Unlike ground combat were you kind of have an idea where the fire is coming from on a AC you have no idea weather you will be blown overboard or cut in half by an arresting wire, burned alive by LOX or anyone of at least a hundred different flammables on board, Run over by a hundred mile an hour tool box. Step off the elevator and not touch it till its at the bottom. But it was also the most fun.

My advice to young people join the armed services and see the world you won't regret it. You will most likely not be able to afford it on your own so why not get paid to do it.
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 07:10:40 AM »
Good advice Sparky.  I was 19 when I tried to join.  The recruiter told me to go back to the farm and stay there.  At the time they were very choosy and told me I had perferated ear drum.  So it was back to milking cows, plowing fields and throwing hay bales around.  I admire all those that have served our great country.    DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 09:52:35 AM »
Mr. Storick,

Thanks for your service.  I had a couple Navy friends tell me stories about carrier flight decks.  They truely are a very dangerous place.  My hat is off to you.

Youre absolutely right, the Armed Services are a great opportunity for young people to see the world and gain experiences unequaled elsewhere. 

I spent 20 years in the Army and lived all over the U.S. and the world.  Mostly I was in Special Forces but I also flew Hueys a while.   The Army gave me the opportunity to Freefall parachute, scuba dive, mountain climb, and ski the Alps. 

The part of my military life that sticks in my mind the most is how lucky we Americans really are.  I was able as a young man to see how others around the world live.  This gave me an appreciation for everything "we" have and the freedoms we hold dear.  Although retired now, I work on Ft Bragg, NC keeping close to the life I embraced and my work training new soldiers. 

I thank all that have served our country and give a very special thanks to those that may not have served but support our troops regardless of politics.  Everyone can be very proud of our Service Men and Women.  I know some that are already on their fifth tour in Iraq or Afganistan.

"Fredom has a flavor the protected will never know"
Thomas

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 11:06:29 AM »
VA-145, A6A Intruders, 71-72  Whibey Is. Wa. They weren't the most gorgeous but got the job done and just a little loud. My 4 yrs. were up 2 weeks before West-Pac on U.S.S. Ranger.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 06:00:16 AM »
I was aboard the USS Ranger near the end of 1975.  Worked as blue shirt and then on to crash crew for awhile.  Great time.  Did time on the USS Hancock during operation freq wind. 1974-1975, untill her decom. Made west-pac with them.  USS Ranger was out of San Diego.  USS Hancock out of Alameda. Best time of my life.  As Robert said total confusion on Flight deck and hanger deck. Best time of my life
Steve Adams

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 05:54:19 PM »
VA-145, A6A Intruders, 71-72  Whibey Is. Wa. They weren't the most gorgeous but got the job done and just a little loud. My 4 yrs. were up 2 weeks before West-Pac on U.S.S. Ranger.

Like these?  Couple of EA-6B's on the flanks and a diamond of A-6s circa 1988 at a WINAS air show and the Blues were in their first season in the Hornets.

The Seattle Skyraiders put on a flying demo.  Not quite as loud as the J-52 Pratt & Whitneys. 

Yeah, the A-6's were loud but nothing compared to my visit to an elementary school during the summer months - just as a pair of B-1B's still on full burner just after lifting off.  This school was directly in line with the McChord AFB runway and the B-1B's had paid a visit from Ellsworth, AFB, SD for an airshow.  People came runnin' outdoors to grab their kids.  That was after the first one then they all got the full effect of the trail Lancer.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 08:36:49 PM »
Good advice Sparky.  I was 19 when I tried to join.  The recruiter told me to go back to the farm and stay there.  At the time they were very choosy and told me I had perferated ear drum.  So it was back to milking cows, plowing fields and throwing hay bales around.  I admire all those that have served our great country.    DOC Holliday

Careful there, It don't always happen that way.  I enlisted (unmarried) in Childress TX, Got sworn in and physical in Amarillo TX, Basic training at Lackland AFB (San Antonio TX),  A & E School at Sheppard AFB (Wichita Falls TX), first PCS at Carswell AFB (Ft. Worth TX) on the magnesium overcast, then final PCS move to Biggs AFB (El Paso TX)  Discharged there and moved to Lubbock TX.  Never even got to see ALL of Texas, as I never got east of Dallas.
  I did get married along the way though.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 10:09:37 PM »
Bob,

Here is my old Squadron, VFA-27.  I was the Aircraft Division Officer.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 06:19:36 AM »
Are there plans out there for jet style stunter
Steve Adams

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 08:39:06 AM »
Ty,

Here is a picture for you:
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 03:27:59 PM »
I was on the USS Ticonderoga from 1968 >July 1072. First WESTPAC as Atack and last 2 as anti submarine warfare. Just missed the Apollo 16 pick-up by one day. My wife TEENA's dad had passed away and I caught a ride to Christmas islandthen to Hawaii, San Jose, and on to LA. But made it to the funeral. I ran AV fuels repair until the last cruise and 1/2. then  fuels quality control. Had my own locked space to build airplanes. Did do some flying in Sasebo, Japan. Got really tired working 18>22 hours a day. Don't know where I would be if I had gone To San Jose State for Aeronautical Engineering. But I wouldn't have met Teena. Still my wife after 36 years. And the reason she even considered going out with a sailor was when she saw me working on a combat plane in my apartment when we were in dry dock in Long Beach. Best thing to ever happen to me. She supports my hobbies 100% and I hers. Really looking forward to meeting everybody when we retire in a couple years. We will end up in South Eastern OK or North Eastern Texas and plan to travel to a lot of contests, Rug hooking conventions and see lot's of the good old USA. Should have enough room for several circles, RC runway, and shooting range. Also want to set up some camp sites and RV hook-ups for those who might want to stop by and have fun.

Bruce (Wackydaddy1) and Teena

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here