News:

• May 12, 2024, 10:08:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Balsa Prices  (Read 580 times)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Balsa Prices
« on: October 24, 2019, 09:36:11 AM »
Just FYI, I have bought balsa from Bud Nosen for years and yesterday I called to check on availability of contest balsa and pricing.  I was told first of all, contest balsa availability was sketchy at best and to add 40% across the board on ALL grades of balsa.  That is the heftiest price increase I can remember in many years.

Kit manufacturers will have to raise their prices accordingly very soon if they have not done so already.  I just got off the phone with Mike Hanson who bought RSM from Eric and he is in the process of doing that right now. 

I noticed the thread just recently where Eric was building a prototype of the Toreador using alternative materials.  He and I discussed this some time back and I think this is something that deserves serious consideration.  I am anxious to see his final product using the materials he was discussing. 

Many of you may already be aware of all of this but I just wanted to pass the information along in case you didn't.  Sticker shock can be a nasty thing.

Mike Griffin

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Balsa Prices
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
Mike,
I like the idea of alternate approaches, one way we could do this is using thinner but stronger balsa. Molded blocks kinda started this, I think some of the foam core wing suppliers have also done this and it works pretty good. The designers might have to revise some of the internal structure and shapes to maintain stiffness but a few cross braces should do that. Keep us informed of the progress.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here