Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VA .049  (Read 941 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
VA .049
« on: March 31, 2020, 06:34:38 PM »
I found one of these brand new in a box of "stuff".
Anyone had experience with one of these?

Bob Z.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: VA .049
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »
I found one of these brand new in a box of "stuff".
Anyone had experience with one of these?

"Dirty" Dan Rutherford was behind the VA, so I would recommend contacting him.

Brett

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
The ones I have are Hi-Zoot Free Flight or 1/2A Combat motors. They run best on a bladder and still fetch around $120 on Ebay NIB. Not competitive in Combat anymore but still desirable in FF. I have one on Samuel's RC Gentle Lady glider on a bladder. Zing's that plane up in no time.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 07:05:36 PM »
Do you have a Mk1 or Mk2?
Mk1 has a split case, the Mk2 has a screw-in backplate and is easier handling.
I fly 1/2A Gas FF with a Mk2.
It turns the little green prop 30k.
I've had some success with it at the Nats and other events.
120 bucks is an optimistic price for one.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 07:28:00 PM »
             I own a few of them and enjoy them. However, the MK 2 which uses the Nelson head can be problematic at times due to it seizing in the head button. In addition, I'm not a big fan of the conrod which has a landing on it. The landing threads into the skirt of the piston. You can change the timing of the engine in doing so. Not something you do whenever you choose. I have had issues with this coming loose and performance degrades quickly. No parts support for these sadly. Terrific little engines and the MK 2 is my highest turning .049 bushed engine. The MK 1 is known as the split case due it's bottom being in half.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 07:46:50 PM »
             I own a few of them and enjoy them. However, the MK 2 which uses the Nelson head can be problematic at times due to it seizing in the head button. In addition, I'm not a big fan of the conrod which has a landing on it. The landing threads into the skirt of the piston. You can change the timing of the engine in doing so. Not something you do whenever you choose. I have had issues with this coming loose and performance degrades quickly. No parts support for these sadly. Terrific little engines and the MK 2 is my highest turning .049 bushed engine. The MK 1 is known as the split case due it's bottom being in half.

Currently I am running the one I bought from you. I think two Nats wins with it.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »
Ken I have 2 that I can't run right now just for that reason. Any sources for new nelson heads for these? Thx
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 10:25:46 PM »
Larry Driskill might have some heads left (Kitting it Together)
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 05:47:08 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses.
Mine is indeed the split-case version.
I also found a very nice write up by Dan Rutherford describing characteristics, running and maintenance properties of the VA engine.
It appears to be very well made and shows no sign a having been mounted or run.
It has a Cox glow head and a very interesting method of shimming the piston to vary the port timing and compression ratio.

Thanks again for the help.

Bob Z.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 06:37:22 AM »
I may have one or two of those. Wasn't the VA what got Norvel introduced to the market? And/Or AME?? Just curious.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEnee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 04:18:35 PM »
The AME is what turned into the NORVEL.  IIRC. 

The split case VA with RYOT is a snappy little engine.  It's like a lighter, more powerful Teedee that actually starts and runs.  The standard long needle is easily bent.  Mine broke off, and I adapted the NVA from a OS 15 size carb and run it as a remote setup into the VA spraybar.  There's a stubby combat needle that was offered, but I feel better about my chances of not being able to break the remote setup.  The threaded piston arrangement likes to self adjust.  IIRC you're supposed to shim the piston where you want it and hit it with red loctite.  I only ran mine a few times before the piston self adjusted.  From what I've read, it sounds like even if they're treated to thread locker they can move.  Mine is on a second hand 1/2a combat plane that was intended for a TD 049.  With the VA I had to add a good chunk of weight to bring the CG far enough forward to make the plane flyable.  Without the weight it flew like the EKG readout on a medical drama.  Or the cheat code for a video game.  Up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-loop-loop-loop-ground.  I've never tried the suction venturi, the split case leaks fuel everywhere, so I suspect anything other than a bladder would probably be an exercise in frustration.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
If you have the Mk1 and are serious about getting to scoot Larry Driskill can give you the rundown on what to do. He might also know what to do with the AME. Bob Mears knows what to do with the AME.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 12:00:21 PM »
I may have one or two of those. Wasn't the VA what got Norvel introduced to the market? And/Or AME?? Just curious.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEnee

No, that was the Stels.  The VA is a different mfr. altogether. 
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »
My friend Jerry Hull just emailed me earlier today. He flew his FF satellite 226 on a VA today. Maiden flight. The tick off timer didn't shut the engine off in time and it went OOS
 Fortunately, at the dry lake, a few gents happened upon it about a half mile away. It was returned safely.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 06:22:56 AM »
               Dane, Jerry was lucky. I'm glad to see he got the model and engine back. Dan Berry wasn't so lucky and I recall when he lost his. I know personally how disturbing that is. These models offer great satisfaction regardless of what they are. To lose one including a engine that is difficult to obtain is even more heart wrenching.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 06:59:58 AM »
A bunch of truly interesting replies!

I came across another box of small engines that I hope we can identify.
One has two round exhaust ports top and bottom at a 45 degree angle.
The others are unknown to me.
I’ll post some photos as soon as I return home.

Bob Z.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 07:48:17 AM »
               Dane, Jerry was lucky. I'm glad to see he got the model and engine back. Dan Berry wasn't so lucky and I recall when he lost his. I know personally how disturbing that is. These models offer great satisfaction regardless of what they are. To lose one including a engine that is difficult to obtain is even more heart wrenching.

Especially irksome when it has a tracker. And you track it for 78 minutes and you know it is down and you know mostly where it is. And it was your best (31k) engine. The replacement plane is more than an ounce lighter.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »
Ken I have 2 that I can't run right now just for that reason. Any sources for new nelson heads for these? Thx
Mike ,send them to me and I will see if I have something that fits
rad racer

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 08:55:30 AM »

Absolutely. If I crash something and I know at least what happened, fine. At least I get my engine back. But to be lost and never know where it went... that's awful

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 09:25:58 AM »
Mike ,send them to me and I will see if I have something that fits
I'll dig them out, thx Bob.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here