News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:41:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unusual Drill - Square?????  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Unusual Drill - Square?????
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 04:03:06 PM »
Mortising bit!
AMA 13001

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 04:54:25 PM »
When I was in the 8th grade, (1955) our wood shop instructor showed us one of these, and told us it would drill a square hole.

I have never seen one in action, though.
De Hill

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 05:06:03 PM »
I just watched a Home Machinist video on the same subject for how to make a square hole lengthwise through round stock [and without the proper tool]

Here is some "problem solver" hardware for poorly drilled holes........

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 07:19:54 PM »
Check this out - anyone ever use one?

Bob Z.

https://sanrico.com/products/easysquare-drill-bit-set?pp=0&epik=dj0yJnU9R2gxVy1wOFlPeTJIakw4SHNqSTN2QWt2dE5mWW5hVlomcD0xJm49akkzdTc1R0JVWUlWZVdmY2ExRXRJQSZ0PUFBQUFBR0F1OENj

Yes. It's for mortise & tenon. I used one in high school wood shop back in '58

Makes a square hole when used in a drill press.

Jerry

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »
We used them in 7th grade shop class, 1976. Only on I’ve ever seen or used.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 09:36:40 PM »
Where do you get the square bolts to fit .

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 10:57:09 PM »
I used them a fair bit in dedicated mortising machines during my cabinet making days.
The drill press attachment ones are kind of a pain to set up but are easier than hand chopping mortices for the occasional furniture making home project.

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 04:50:49 AM »
Try it in metal and find out its limitations LOL! Its only a round drill inside a hollow, square broaching chisel - FOR WOOD !

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 05:23:28 AM »
Robert Z.

The concept has been around for years. Early on the old furniture makers would auger out a hole followed with using a mortising chisel to square it up; a visit to Maine to a cabinets makers shop and you will still find some artists at work making square holes by hand. Note from the photo the course drill for hauling out the material leaving a thin wall for the beveled squaring tool to follow and collapse the remaining material inward for removal.

The photos here show what looks like soft pine and another fiber or particleboard?? Unless the tool is made from high-quality hardened steel its longevity will be questionable, the true test is holing out Hard Maple or Grey Elm. Restoring (sharpening) the square tools' inside edges may pose a challenge as well especially at the inside corners. Go to Rockler Tools first and check out theirs before buying here. Just a suggestion, good luck if you are making a purchase. Wear an n-95 in that shop as well.

Steve

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 11:03:27 AM »
Robert Z.

The concept has been around for years. Early on the old furniture makers would auger out a hole followed with using a mortising chisel to square it up; a visit to Maine to a cabinets makers shop and you will still find some artists at work making square holes by hand. Note from the photo the course drill for hauling out the material leaving a thin wall for the beveled squaring tool to follow and collapse the remaining material inward for removal.

That's still probably the right option unless you are doing a lot of them. This mortising bit (in a drill press or dedicated mortising machine) makes sense when you have a lot of long mortises to do, like a production system, or very large or multiple home projects. For occasionally projects, setting it up and aligning takes longer than just drilling holes and squaring them out manually.

I did a lot of woodworking back in the day (when I had access to a shop), and like everyone else, the only time I used such a device was in a college woodworking class.

Brett

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »
The requirement for most tenons in furniture building is less than an inch, any longer it's of little value. I'd say the reason this mortising tool is this long is for accessibility around the jig. If you had to make mortise holes all day in a shop I'd say definitely use this tool or find another job.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
Oh, well - looked interesting to me!
Never saw anything like it before.
Bob Z.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 11:18:57 PM »
There's also a wobbly drill or oscillating drill that will do the same, but it best suited to a milling machine or stiff drill press. Not a hand tool, but then, neither is a mortising bit....

When drilling holes in thin sheet, like aluminum aircraft skins, a regular 2-flute drill wants to make a triangular hole. The video shows how this can be a "feature" instead of a defect...

The Divot

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 07:24:44 AM »
Wow! I always thought it was used with a hammer !

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here