News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:10:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL NATS TOP 5!  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
UNOFFICIAL NATS TOP 5!
« on: June 24, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »
1° ORESTES HERNANDEZ.
2° PAUL WALKER.
3° DAVID FITZGERALD.
4° JOE GILBERT.
5° JOSEPH DALY.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: UNOFFICIAL NATS TOP 5!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 04:31:15 PM »
Sparky streamed it live and those guys were working hard (thanks again Sparky). The wind was 18 -20+. Very tuff conditions, scoring was best 2 out of 3 flights. They all took 3 flights. Orestes was very solid and a well deserved win.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 08:07:52 PM »
It was amazing. I've have never said that about watching guys fly u/c and I've seen Paul and David duke it out several times. But, this was amazing. I had my wind gauge out from round two on. I set it to max, and then cleared it after each maneuver. Paul Walker's second round flight had one or two maneuvers that were BELOW 20 mph wind, and I think they were 19 and 18mph. I think David's second round was even higher. The peak I saw was 26mph. One expert standing by said his flight, even though not his highest score ever, was probably his best flight ever due to conditions.

By round three, the wind was down around 12-18 continual, but still a couple 20+ gusts.  Orestes's third round started rough with a couple obvious errors, but then he flew like you were looking at the drawings from the rule book. Joe Daly too, but may have been penalized for doing higher pullouts, but they looked 5 feet to me. Some expert thought Joe Gilbert's third round flight was the best of the meet. ,

It blew so hard on Joe Daly's second flight that (I am assuming) it triggered the esc safety shut off at the top of his overhead 8s and he somehow got it down from straight overhead in 20mph wind. After he safely landed the wind blew the plane across the runway and flipped it over. From then on, pilots had buddies positioned to grab the aircraft after landing.

If you watched video without sound, all five looked as if there were no wind. Their flying was astounding. I'm also going to make a youtube video in a few weeks where I am calling out windspeed after each stunt.

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 09:30:13 PM »
One of the best displays of PURE flying ive ever seen.

Those conditions were just simply " You wouldn't fly unless it was the finals. "

But we arent talking about 1 or 2 pilots and maybe 2 flights in bad wind.. no no everyone saw wind, it was the speed of the Top5 one after another, In terrible conditions, no waiting it out.
Round 1 2 and 3.. thats what impressed me.

Well done to Joe Gilbert on managing to get in his daily walk in during competiting in those winds, If the ringmaster fight was good, this was better!

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 09:40:22 PM »

Where can the video be found?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 09:53:14 PM »
Video can be found at Sparky's youtube channel.  Link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96GB5l5-lNYSEtieSfFFCQ

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 07:58:43 AM »
It was amazing. I've have never said that about watching guys fly u/c and I've seen Paul and David duke it out several times. But, this was amazing. I had my wind gauge out from round two on. I set it to max, and then cleared it after each maneuver. Paul Walker's second round flight had one or two maneuvers that were BELOW 20 mph wind, and I think they were 19 and 18mph. I think David's second round was even higher. The peak I saw was 26mph. One expert standing by said his flight, even though not his highest score ever, was probably his best flight ever due to conditions.

By round three, the wind was down around 12-18 continual, but still a couple 20+ gusts.  Orestes's third round started rough with a couple obvious errors, but then he flew like you were looking at the drawings from the rule book. Joe Daly too, but may have been penalized for doing higher pullouts, but they looked 5 feet to me. Some expert thought Joe Gilbert's third round flight was the best of the meet. ,

It blew so hard on Joe Daly's second flight that (I am assuming) it triggered the esc safety shut off at the top of his overhead 8s and he somehow got it down from straight overhead in 20mph wind. After he safely landed the wind blew the plane across the runway and flipped it over. From then on, pilots had buddies positioned to grab the aircraft after landing.

If you watched video without sound, all five looked as if there were no wind. Their flying was astounding. I'm also going to make a youtube video in a few weeks where I am calling out windspeed after each stunt.

WOW!
Yes, EXTREME wind conditions!
UNHUMAN flying skills!
Must be seen to be believed!  :o

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
It was simply astounding. The conditions attest to the best of equipment and the the skills of the best flyers in the world. We all sat with our mouths open watching it unfold.

Congratulations to all who flew. And to the team of Gilbert and Gilbert. Joe, you done good.
Jim Kraft

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 12:01:02 AM »
After reading David's post I realized that I had watched the finals without sound.  I had the stream on a monitor in my office.  Just watched it again with sound - WOW.   
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here