News:

• May 12, 2024, 12:48:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Announcement about the StingRay Kit  (Read 4626 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Announcement about the StingRay Kit
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
There has not been enough intrest to warrant the production of the full kit of the Stingray so there will be no full kit produced.  However, I can offer you plans and a full set of ribs if you are interested. Please see my posting in Control Line Flyers in the Vendors Corner Section

Thanks

Mike

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Announcement about the StingRay Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
I can remember several years ago when a "new" kit was offered guys would go nuts. Not so anymore. I wonder if the excitement for a new kit will ever return? Sadly, I just don't think so.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:22:58 PM »
I can remember several years ago when a "new" kit was offered guys would go nuts. Not so anymore. I wonder if the excitement for a new kit will ever return? Sadly, I just don't think so.

Bill, Eric Rule and I were talking about this today.  This was my last attempt to produce a kit .  I thought this one would generate some interest but it didn't.  I am going to turn my attention to finishing up some planes I have started.  I enjoyed doing it when I did but just not feasible anymore.

Mike

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »
Mike,  build and fly FOR YOURSELF now and have some dad gum FUN!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
Here's three kits that should have generated more interest: RSM Blue Max and DQ Master. Both designed by Kaz Minato...KAZ MINATO folks! A modern day super stunt hero and all around nice guy. Modern designs and still available, call Eric...I did.  Hi Johnson Stuka, kitted by BMJR. With all the talk about this Stuka and that Stuka on this forum, I haven't heard a "Peep" about this one. BMJR kits mostly free-flight designs and has a reputation for using good, light wood. There are others that have been overlooked.  Too bad about the Stingray. Kits, if you like 'em, get 'em while you can. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »
I think that part of the problem is that the market is saturated, at least many of the flyers I know have more kits than they'll be able to build any time soon.  I always really liked the StingRay and bought the plans many years ago from HobbyHelpers.  But I have gobs of kits to build and really, really can't justify buying anymore.

We need more people doing the "Reach one - teach one" thing and getting more recruits into the hobby.  But that is easier said than done in our present culture.

Scott

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »
I really think the economy has something do with it too at one time i could afford to buy the new kits when they came out but not today.
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »
I would like the plans for the Stingray and the Eclipse.
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 06:12:30 PM »
I really think the economy has something do with it too at one time i could afford to buy the new kits when they came out but not today.

I agree with Brad.  Also a lot of the folks who build are now living on a FIXED INCOME and worried about the continuation of the Federal Insurance program called Social Security!  y1 <=

Some of us are already well stocked for the next 50 years or so also.  y1 y1 LL~ LL~ LL~

The Blue Max of Kaz M. is, by the way, a spectacular flier!   As is it's designer!  y1

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Mike Griffin

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:01:44 PM »
I think you all make very valid points.  I thought the design was very eye appaling and it was a Nats winner in 1964.  I was really surprised by the lack of response it drew and for a small cottage kit maker like myself, it just was not economically feasible to kit the plane with all that has to go into getting it out. 

I have turned my attention now to completing some planes of my own that are way overdue for completion.  I do want to thank everyone who bought my kits in the past.  I hope they bring you a lot of fun in building and flying...

Mike

Mike Griffin

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »
I would like the plans for the Stingray and the Eclipse.

Brad I am offering the plans for the Stingray and Rib sets for the wing in my area of Vendors Corner...which is CONTROL LINE FLYERS....after you go there you can send me a PM if you want to order the plans or ribs.  The Eclipse, we have not done the plans on yet and do not know if we will at this point.  It really is just a bigger version of the StingRay....

Mike

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »
I thought the design was very eye appaling and it was a Nats winner in 1964.

I suppose whether its appalling or appealing or somewhere in between is in the eye of the beholder. 

The Sting Ray won in 1963.  I saw Mr. Gialdini at a contest in Kokomo a couple of weeks after the 1963 Nats.  I asked him who won.  He was quite pleased to inform me. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 06:29:27 AM »
You should be able to see his Eclipse in the AMA Museum when you visit there.

And Mike, I really wish you had gotten sufficient response to make a kit of the Stingray as it is a truly beautiful airplane.  And thanks for making the effort!

Scott

Mike Griffin

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »
I suppose whether its appalling or appealing or somewhere in between is in the eye of the beholder. 

The Sting Ray won in 1963.  I saw Mr. Gialdini at a contest in Kokomo a couple of weeks after the 1963 Nats.  I asked him who won.  He was quite pleased to inform me. 

You are right Howard.  I was off by a year.  Old age I guess sneaking up on me.

Mike

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »
Hi Mike,

I think it was a noble effort on your part to attempt to supply some really unique model kits to the public.  Unfortunately, the economy for most of us is getting squeezed and our hobby has to suffer first.  With dwindling numbers in our "C/L" population, the market just doesn't appear to be there.

Before my surgery I had a total of three kits of all kinds.  2 were 1/2A! LOL!!  Now I would have to count as I started buying quality kits a year or so before surgery.  Money was good and I had high hopes!  So, since this board began I went from "0" kits to over a dozen full or short kits.  I can no longer afford one in good conscious.  Things will get better but by then I will have probably have come to my senses and realize there are not enough years left for me to
build what I have.

I know you like to build and fly, so take this time to build and fly!  I am glad you seem to be doing so much better after your surgery and hopefully you can get the full enjoyment out of YOUR hobby.

Best Wishes and have fun!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »
I personally think that there are a lot of cats out there, that should be looking at Kaz's Blue Max kit. That, coupled with an EVO 60 makes for a VERY competitive package at an affordable price.

When I go to the local contests, I see a lot of guys that could be doing better with the combination mentioned above, with not much more total effort then a Oriental and a Fox 35. y1
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
I've got an Enya 61 RE which I reckon would be great with the Blue Max.  Has anyone here built one?  I'm curious about what sort of wing construction it uses, and anything else that might be of relevance.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
I personally think that there are a lot of cats out there, that should be looking at Kaz's Blue Max kit. That, coupled with an EVO 60 makes for a VERY competitive package at an affordable price.

When I go to the local contests, I see a lot of guys that could be doing better with the combination mentioned above, with not much more total effort then a Oriental and a Fox 35. y1

HI Milt,

I agree, there are many top line model kits available.   Maybe too many.  I have seen new guys moving up the ladder who are compromised by their equipment.  I also see others of us who are aging (beats the alternative!) where it is becoming a "part time" hobby in a sense.  Not able to do what we could so building is slowing down and participation in meets is also slowing down.  Grandchildren whom we may or may not be able to influence into an interest in the hobby take our time, etc., etc..  So use old geezers are slowing down.

Don't forget the kits from UHP:  The Impact and '96 Bear.  Both top level stunt planes and the Impact is a World Champion.  So good, high quality kits are available.  There will probably be some top level Electric powered stunter kits which will not need converting in the future.  who knows what that will bring.  Unfortunately I will probably never be able to get to them all. ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 09:13:14 AM »
I personally think that there are a lot of cats out there

Way too many in my neighborhood. If anyone knows a good deterrent other than a dog let me know.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »
I have more kits than a rational member of this hobby should. That said I still buy because I still can.  With a shrinking number of participants  in C/L they are not a good investment in time or money for either the manufacturer or the buyer. The reasoning has been put forward too well to require elaboration. I  know for certain that I will never live long enough to get even 1/8 of the pile done.
I have no idea what will happen to mine when I'm gone but it will be someone else's problem to either liquidate them or burn them. Meanwhile I'll continue to enjoy them.

Dennis

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
I personally think that there are a lot of cats out there

Way too many in my neighborhood. If anyone knows a good deterrent other than a dog let me know.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here