News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:32:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unknown Combat plane  (Read 871 times)

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
Unknown Combat plane
« on: May 19, 2023, 04:53:09 PM »

I looked through some of Al Ferraro's classic Combat videos trying to ID this plane and came up empty.

There's no apparent damage. I found no evidence of it's being flown. It's a great rehab winter project. I'd like to see plans or the box art to determine what the shrouds on the top and bottom looked like.

Ara

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Unknown Combat plane
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 05:32:52 PM »
Dar Wing?

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 06:30:45 PM »
Not a Darwing

I would say Dmeco Sportwing.
Mark Troutman recently built a Sportwing.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 06:32:47 PM »
Confirmed by looking at the picture of Mark's plane.
A Sportwing. For Stunt, not a combat plane.

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »
 Debolt Sport wing

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 08:01:02 PM »

Thanks everyone,

Got the plans from Outerzone, it's a 1949 design. So there's my Brodak 2024 Old Time Stunt entry. Looks like I have to add some structure back. Plans show it set up for clockwise flight.

Ara

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 02:05:29 PM »
         Thanks everyone,

Got the plans from Outerzone, it's a 1949 design. So there's my Brodak 2024 Old Time Stunt entry. Looks like I have to add some structure back. Plans show it set up for clockwise flight.

Ara

If it's like the other DeBolt designs, they typically have lots of wing offset and no tipweight, making them very sketchy on takeoff when flown CCW. Some guys flew All American Sr. in OTS with a Fox .35 Stunt with a reverse rotation crank and a pusher prop, flying CCW, to fix the takeoff problem. At least measure the asymmetry and make a plan.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 12:58:01 PM »
If it's like the other DeBolt designs, they typically have lots of wing offset and no tipweight, making them very sketchy on takeoff when flown CCW. Some guys flew All American Sr. in OTS with a Fox .35 Stunt with a reverse rotation crank and a pusher prop, flying CCW, to fix the takeoff problem. At least measure the asymmetry and make a plan.  H^^ Steve

Steve,

I have some Fox 35 reverse cranks and TopFlite white plastic pusher props from an estate (I know, I know; I've read the warnings on here). Always wondered what they were intended for. The wing I have was built for CCW flight with the leadouts on the left and some tip weight. Could be a fun project installing the reverse components.

Ara

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 01:46:48 PM »
Measure the Sportwing, pretty sure its NOT assymetircal span

As for the lefty turning Fox, build an All American Senior - and have a blast!  Mine's electric, so the reverse rotation was easy.  Boring-easy to take-off.  Since I put it on Spectra I've been experimenting with INBOARD tip weight to try to counteract the effect of the extreme assymetry (3.5" I think)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here