News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:36:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ukraine lines  (Read 47559 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Ukraine lines
« Reply #200 on: May 01, 2022, 01:51:38 PM »
But anyway, I think I've found a better product; PTFE (Teflon) dry lubricant. Like silicone, it leaves a thin, dry polymer layer over the surface that repels water, dirt and oil very well, and seems to last quite long, too.

As I mentioned (4 years ago in this same thread, reply #45!), it doesn't last long on solids but I hadn't tried it on the brass-plated lines (since I have exactly 1 set of the .0165s and no more likely to be forthcoming...). I am surprised it helps anything with corrosion.

Brett

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #201 on: May 01, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:36:39 PM by Lauri Malila »

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2022, 12:54:34 AM »
Rain-X does not work?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2022, 01:00:26 AM »
Oh, I missed that one.
But, how did you apply it back then? As I wrote, just wiping with a paper with PTFE spray in it didn't do much, it's better to put way too much and then wipe it off and let it really be burnished into clean surface. Maybe that makes a difference? With solid lines, no idea. But with years and years of braided carbon steel, I can absolutely tell the difference it makes. So far I've only been using the product for 2 weeks, only time will tell how labour-intensive it'll be to keep it working like that but so far I've been happy. Maybe, especially with IC, it would be a good idea to deep-clean the lines in ultrasonic bath every now and then, and re-do the treatment to totally clean lines. L

The difference might be that you don't have a large enough surface area of the lines rubbing together to shear it off, or at least, not as fast.

I sprayed it from the spray can it came in. There was *plenty* of it on there, the lines went from polished silver to flat white. Then it flaked off in flight, and you could see it stripped off in large sections. It worked pretty well, with similar wear effects, on things like table saw and jointer tables. That's where I got my first can - my dad was using it on woodworking tools.

Brett

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2022, 02:23:22 AM »
Rain-X works on solid lines. Apply, let dry, burnish. I can't say how long it lasts, but it got me thru one full race in a steady rain. No lockup at all on the controls. I believe we would have lost the plane without it.

Dave

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2022, 02:29:32 AM »
I use rain-X for years on this topic type lines for years without problem, it will clean them, lubricate and I think also protect to some extent. Also never problems in rain.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2022, 06:47:44 AM »
Since "Rain Shield" (The green aerosol can) hasn't been available years, I've tried the guitar/banjo/mandolin product "Finger Ease" for cleaning and avoiding sticking due to moisture. Only on stranded lines have I tried, having discarded solids long ago.

FWIW,
dg

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2022, 01:26:34 AM »
I expected that Ruslan will jump in, but they have proably other problems on Ukraine than reading Stunthangar, so I will repost his earlier post.

BTW Rain-x and also other "liquid wipers" are also PMDS (with some solvent), here is link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain-X

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydimethylsiloxane

Hello, friends !
Today I want to tell you about our new fluid that we developed and tested for long-term storage and use of steel brass lines. This liquid completely removes moisture and any contaminants from the surface of the lines and completely prevents rusting of brass steel lines during long-term storage and long-term operation. The liquid is applied from the bottle to the cotton cloth and then with this cloth you wipe the lines before training and after finishing flying before reeling onto the reel. After wiping the lines with PMDS-20 liquid, you will immediately feel how it becomes easier to control your plane. When rubbing against each other, the lines begin to slide and the friction decreases significantly. Water, rain, fog and dew when dropped on your brass lines are immediately thrown to the side. The liquid has a strong water-repellent effect, it penetrates inward between individual strands and forcing out dirt, dust and water no longer allows water to penetrate between the strands and start corrosion there. The anti-corrosion fluid must be used before each workout, and during training flights, wipe the lines with a dry cotton cloth without any means. Before reeling up the lines, wipe the lines again with a cotton cloth dampened with liquid.
If you are careful about your lines, carefully unwind and rewind them, carefully fasten and unfasten them from the carabiners on the control handle and on the wing, do not step on them, do not cling to the lines when planting on stones on asphalt or tall dense grass, constantly wipe the lines with a cotton cloth from dust and dirt, from castor oil which from the engine will get onto the lines, from moisture with the help of PDMS-20 - your lines will last you a very long time and will give you many good flights and a lot of good mood.
Regards
Ruslan Kurenkov
https://controllineparts.com/lines/191-polydimethylsiloxane.html

Advertise Here

Advertise Here