News:

• May 06, 2024, 03:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: U.S. FAI team trials coverage......  (Read 41708 times)

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: U.S. FAI team trials coverage......
« Reply #300 on: September 03, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
A little late, but for those who would like to see the scores in Excel ... here you go.

Offline kenny stevens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #301 on: September 03, 2013, 10:41:57 AM »
 Hi All  Dallas had a tree fall through his shop so he is down for a month or so. David Fitz. has a spare for a Thunder Gazer that may work.  We will talk tonight and check measurements .

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
Dave T.  I really appreciate your tour of the "new" AMA Museum!  It has changed a lot since I visited back in the early '70s.

I hope someone can give more details on the model of the Yates "Madman" in the museum.  (who built it.  Who supplied the Orwick engine). I think I have color photos or Yates' original model, and my memory of flying with Yates is a bit hazy.  I have tried to duplicate his colors, but maybe not accurately.

thanks  Floyd Carter
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #303 on: September 03, 2013, 02:24:49 PM »
That's an interesting approach.  It might enable you to meet the current airline size rules and still have access to the bellcrank and flap controls. Folks tell me, though, that the rigidity of a fuselage that doesn't have the wing cutout helps their score.

There was a young European Jr at the 1994 WCs who had the division I liked best.  The fuse, tail and inboard half of both wings were one piece.  Only the outer half (probably more, as Dave suggested, just outside the gear mount) of each wing separated.  It could be the fixed span was equal to that of the stab which would alter the planform depending on the AR of the Stab...of course, it could have plug in tips as well if you wanted Les McDonald style glider wing stabs!

I liked the fact that the highest stress areas were really solid, the control system never had to be disassembled and that no significant single screw was likely to result in a demolished airplane.  IIRC, the outer panels plugged in like the Hannah, Morris fixtures and were held in place with fore and aft keys and a couple of 4-40 (or metric equivalent) screws and blind nuts.

I'm unsure on whether it would meet current airline regs but the max dimension was much less than the classic 60" or so span.

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #304 on: September 03, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
Dave T.  I really appreciate your tour of the "new" AMA Museum!  It has changed a lot since I visited back in the early '70s.

I hope someone can give more details on the model of the Yates "Madman" in the museum.  (who built it.  Who supplied the Orwick engine). I think I have color photos or Yates' original model, and my memory of flying with Yates is a bit hazy.  I have tried to duplicate his colors, but maybe not accurately.

thanks  Floyd Carter

Floyd,  I think the Madman was built and donated by Don Hutchinson but don't quote me...oh wait, I just published it.  Alas.

Ted

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #305 on: September 03, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
Unfortunately, the 62" baggage allowance forces the wing to come in half at the root and the fuse must splice somewhere as well. Also, the stab must remove to fit in the remainder of the space that the fuse, wing etc don't take.

Or, if you are bloddy rich, just ship a one piece airplane by air. Won't cost too much.   ;DAfter all, the F1 teams do it all the time to go to all the various world F1 sites. If they can do that, why not you?

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #306 on: September 03, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
Unfortunately, the 62" baggage allowance forces the wing to come in half at the root and the fuse must splice somewhere as well. Also, the stab must remove to fit in the remainder of the space that the fuse, wing etc don't take.

Or, if you are bloddy rich, just ship a one piece airplane by air. Won't cost too much.   ;DAfter all, the F1 teams do it all the time to go to all the various world F1 sites. If they can do that, why not you?

I have seen 4 wakefields in a box 1/3 the volume of a stunt plane box, that makes it somewhat cheaper.

I still don't see how you get batteries to Poland (or anywhere past the TSA checkpoint)

Brett

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #307 on: September 03, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
A little late, but for those who would like to see the scores in Excel ... here you go.

Even later but here is Mike's table in rank order. Makes it a little easier to compare how the scores sort out.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #308 on: September 03, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »
Batteries, TSA, no problem!

I was concerned about that going to Bulgaria, and had 2 shipped ahead.  Much $$$$$. I then took one in carry on. No issue with TSA as it was packed per their instructions.

Being bold, I brought all three back as carry on. They all made it home. I saw it on the scanner in Paris. No concern about a battery with wires sticking out of it!!

I would suggest that each team member ship at least one battery ahead and carry on the rest.

Online Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #309 on: September 03, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »
This is what I used which meant the box is as long as the fuz less rudder.  Sorry about just the link to another forum but.!!

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=307979&mesg_id=307979&listing_type=search

Was easy to transport to UK from OZ back in 2008 without any problems.  Model is about 62" span.

HH

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #310 on: September 03, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
In the 'good old days' did we ever imagine that international competition with model airplanes would become so @#$%&$ complicated?

It's a weird world out there...and becoming worse every day, it seems.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #311 on: September 03, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »

thanks  Floyd Carter

Floyd,

Tom Lay can give you the particulars on the Yates Madman at the AMA museum.  I am pretty sure the colors on that model in the museum is close to what JC had on the originals.  Cream trimmed in maroon.

Keith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
Here are pictures of the F2B team and of Orestes, who won by a wide margin.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »
Congrats Howard,, and all,, better get busy building  D>K
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #314 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »
Congrats to all!  Enjoy your adventure! 

Bruce

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #315 on: September 04, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »
I was concerned about that going to Bulgaria, and had 2 shipped ahead.  Much $$$$$.

Because of custom and VAT. There is a way to order batteries here ... for example from european hobbyking store, then it comes without troubles and cheap. I can do it if anyone wants.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2013, 04:36:29 AM »
Because of custom and VAT. There is a way to order batteries here ... for example from european hobbyking store, then it comes without troubles and cheap. I can do it if anyone wants.

I think if it were me I would use Igor's idea.

I noticed just recently when I go to the post office that they are now specifically asking if I am shipping Lipos. They have always done the "liquid, perishable, flammable, questions. They just added lipo to the list. I have not asked what would happen if I were shipping one.

Derek

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2013, 07:49:39 AM »
I have not asked what would happen if I were shipping one.

I believe they would restrict you to Ground Shipping.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #318 on: September 04, 2013, 09:30:44 AM »
The Madman in the museum at Muncie did not come from me. I think it was actually J.C. Yates  model. I believe Bob Whitely had it for a while before it went to the museum.
Don

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #319 on: September 04, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »

Paul I'm still thinking it would work but would require a separate box for the wing.  Maybe the extra box is cost prohibitive,  not sure.  Maybe you could cram your extra socks in there.  Might make some cardboard mock ups to see.  Guess you could part BOTH wings out a few inches from the fuse if that were any better.  Thinking ......

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #320 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »
You might want to ask the F3B and F3F (3-4 meter sailplanes) guys how they're doing it these days. When we went to Slovakia we used Hard case, length adjustable, Golf Bags. The wings on those are two panel or three panel and the one piece fuselages are 59" -65" in length. Weight is 60-85 oz. RTF (without ballast) depending on class and each pilot generally takes two complete airplanes (in one golf bag).

Just a thought H^^
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here