News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twister vs Banshee  (Read 10659 times)

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: Twister vs Banshee
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »
Ken, this picture should help clear up your questions about front mounting the Cobra 2820.   
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:05:17 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 03:03:15 PM »
It will bolt up on a forward firewall just the same as where you screwed on the aluminum cross mount. You will have to use a collet style prop driver. That is exactly how both Bob’s and Mikey’s motors are mounted in the pictures they posted.

Where do I go to get a Colet?  It doesn't come with the engine.  Too late for this one but going forward I will hang it by it's nose.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
The Cobra 2820 uses a 5mm shaft.  Look for prop adaptors for a 5mm collet.  They're available everywhere.  There are simple versions and nice integrated spinner versions.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »
I had two Fancherized Twisters (one with Rabe rudder) before I quit competing a few years ago. I now have a stock Banshee with a modified LA40 usuing a homemade tongue muffler.  I like the way the Banshee flies over the Twisters.  I found that the Banshee doesn't have a tendency to turn in on sharp downs like my Twisters did.

Phil

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »
Hi Ken,
Mount the motor with the green colored bell to the front and use the collet adapter that came with the motor (not the bolt on prop shaft).  I used that same motor for the 4 cell 2600 mah pack version and worked very well with 11 X 5.5 APC prop and the KR timer.

Later,
Mikey

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2018, 04:48:52 PM »
Hi Ken,
Mount the motor with the green colored bell to the front and use the collet adapter that came with the motor (not the bolt on prop shaft).  I used that same motor for the 4 cell 2600 mah pack version and worked very well with 11 X 5.5 APC prop and the KR timer.

Later,
Mikey

Just opened the other engine "still shrinkwrapped" and there is no collet and the instructions/parts list don't mention it.  Looks like it is an add on.  Tower has a 5mm one that looks OK.  Any suggestions?

While I am at it, are spinners any different for electric?  Can you just make a CCW fit the CW prop?

Ken 
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 05:49:46 PM »
Tower has some electric spinners but they are cut for standard props. You can cut it out to fit though.

Matt

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 11:35:23 PM »
Tower has some electric spinners but they are cut for standard props. You can cut it out to fit though.

Matt
Thanks to you guys I figured out the front mount, ordered the collet.  Luckily I had built a rather large engine box and the front mount is going to fit without any serious mods.

Ken

Follow Up:  CG too far back with the front mount.  Luckily the rear mount was still there.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:18:37 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
The forum seems slow right now, or maybe I'm just bored. I have a twister kit and a banshee kit. I plan to (not exactly soon) build them both box stock with a few minor additions. Both will have adjustable lead out's, tip weight box and an adjustable rudder. Other than that, box stock. Power will be the same for both, same fuel tank, engine, prop and then same size lines. This will be more of a personal shoot out than anything anyone can trust. I usually build light enough and straight enough, so the flight reports can be based on some experience I suppose.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »
The forum seems slow right now, or maybe I'm just bored. I have a twister kit and a banshee kit. I plan to (not exactly soon) build them both box stock with a few minor additions. Both will have adjustable lead out's, tip weight box and an adjustable rudder. Other than that, box stock. Power will be the same for both, same fuel tank, engine, prop and then same size lines. This will be more of a personal shoot out than anything anyone can trust. I usually build light enough and straight enough, so the flight reports can be based on some experience I suppose.

I suspect you'll find that they're both pretty good.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »
I suspect you'll find that they're both pretty good.

Having had both, in various states of airworthiness; I agree. But I've never been able to fly them back to back. But being the super stunter I am now (yeah i know how hilarious that is) it would be fun to compare. But also, then I'd have a classic legal, a super 70's legal,  and 2 profiles all in one neat package.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »
Having had both, in various states of airworthiness; I agree. But I've never been able to fly them back to back. But being the super stunter I am now (yeah i know how hilarious that is) it would be fun to compare. But also, then I'd have a classic legal, a super 70's legal,  and 2 profiles all in one neat package.

If you REALLY want to try flying them back to back then build one for clockwise rotation and fly one in each hand!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2018, 10:00:24 PM »
If you REALLY want to try flying them back to back then build one for clockwise rotation and fly one in each hand!

Lol, I can only fly two together in the same direction. Stunts are limited for now. Stay tuned for a video of me flying both ringmasters......

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »
Lol, I can only fly two together in the same direction. Stunts are limited for now. Stay tuned for a video of me flying both ringmasters......
Don't try this unless you have multiple personality syndrome and one of them is left handed.

neK
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2018, 06:38:36 AM »
Don't try this unless you have multiple personality syndrome and one of them is left handed.

neK

We already have

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2018, 07:12:07 AM »
We already have
Which one are you rebuilding?  Personally, my left hand is barely useful to choke my engine.  Sometimes I can use it to remove the battery and hold the handle while I put on the safety lanyard.  I am impressed!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2018, 07:29:43 AM »
Which one are you rebuilding?  Personally, my left hand is barely useful to choke my engine.  Sometimes I can use it to remove the battery and hold the handle while I put on the safety lanyard.  I am impressed!

Ken

Oh the ringmaster rebuild was the one my wife crashed. It's done, back to normal. She felt really bad, but like I say; I built it once, I can build it again. Fly and crash all you want!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
When do you find time?   By the way about people laughing at your pattern, wait until you see the judges laughing so hard they don't write our score down.  This for me in Old Time at Polk City contest one year. ;D
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2018, 09:12:06 AM »
When do you find time?   By the way about people laughing at your pattern, wait until you see the judges laughing so hard they don't write our score down.  This for me in Old Time at Polk City contest one year. ;D

I don't. Haha. I go to work at 0600. So around 0400, I saunter out of bed into the kitchen / building area. Have some coffee, tinker with the planes while reading the funny pages. Then haul buns to work. Then come home and do whatever crazy scheme the kids have come up with.

Last contest in Tucson, it seems the joke was I fly too low. But also my triangles resemble more of a train wreck than a shape. All in all, it's great fun. My squares and square 8's seemed to improve and stay consistent all weekend. That was a bonus

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »
State of the Project:

40 oz all amped up and ready to spread it's wings.  Got some cosmetics to do if I am going to use it in profile like the cowling, wheel pants, pannel lines etc.

Aside from the rock hard ribs (used) and indoor grade balsa stab (replaced),  I do have one other thing that I am not too pleased with in the kit.  The fuselage balsa is wierd. It is not soft and it is pretty stiff except that it twists.  (Is that how the plane got it's name?) I have added a carbon tube to the bottom so it doesn't wiggle at all.  I see several designs where the center is hollowed out and replaced with cross hatched balsa webbing.  Does this help stop twisting?  It is MomoKoted so I can add that easily if it would help but it is too late for fiber weave.

All that I need now is for our resident electric expert to get back from a cruse y1 and this rain to stop   VD~)_& and I will log my first E-Flight!   #^

Ken
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:27:43 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2018, 06:36:15 AM »
Hi Ken,
It looks really good, make sure you send a flight report.

Mikey

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »
looking Good .  H^^

Bit late in the day for this , but . . .

Let me tell you about the pink Banshee.
1)   54” span equal panels
2)   Half ribs to spar with vertical webbing between spars
3)   Adjustable Tip weight box and movable leadouts
4)   Flat wing tips
5)   8 1/4” nose
6)   ¼” stab and elevator tapered to tips 261/2” span
7)   Diamond shaped Fuselage with the top and bottom end 1/8” thick
8)   Barn door flaps 2 ½” to 1 ¾”
9)   Motor Fox 35 running on missile mist fuel no muffler
10)    Custom landing gear 1/8” music wire eighth banner racing wheels
11)    Custom Big jim Tank
12)    Leading edge radius (NOT TO BLUNT JIM DID NOT LIKE TO BLUNT LEADING EDGE.)
 NOTE : you had to hear that Fox run it sounded like a formula one motor with about 10 different gears.  In the Horizontal square eight this motor changed speed for every leg.
 Big Jim first flight on the Banshee.(BTW the other flyer was Big Jims close friend RAY MOORE.) Big Jim firers up the Fox and proceeds to fly a very impressive pattern that looks like Gene Schafer. I had never seen a profile fly like a full bogie stunt plane. The engine quits and proceeds to wind fly. Lazy eights, inside loops ,outside loops, inside square and one triangle. Milton and I had seen Bob and Gene wind fly but not like this.

Jose .

========================================================================================

Is the Banshee Ribs the same as the Twister  ? ? .

Cant find a Banshee Drawing / Plan anywhere on the interwako .

Would some kind individual , Dane . Trace a around rib on a piece of graph paper , or lay adjacent to a ruler & give thickness / DEPTH .

Maybe a pic. of a few other things or suchlike .
Would like something that fits in the Trunk ( BOOT , Here . ) without getting chewed up . as the Citys an overnighter , If I go flying there . :P
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:47:01 PM by Matt Spencer »

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2018, 03:21:38 AM »
Matt,  here's a PDF of the Banshee plans for your enjoyment.  Also, a comparison of the Banshee and Twister airfoils.

If I were building a Banshee (and I'm not) and I planned on using a heavier, modern, muffled engine (LA46) with an APC style prop vs a unmuffled Fox 35 with a wood prop, I would surely opt for something similar to the recent Griffin version with the wing moved significantly forward.  Follow the lemonade recipe and build a larger tail assembly (~25% of the wing area) while you're at it.  https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/sig-banshee-12011/

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:50:40 AM by Brent Williams »

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2018, 05:05:04 AM »
1/64 lite ply on fuse may reduce the Twist. But will add an ounce or so.

My Twister was 38oz when first completed. After repair its now 40oz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »
Much appeciated Brent ,
Once we get the whiff of something , The R C M P is relentless in persuit .  H^^

The Twister section is V  much like the Oriental , IF you round the LE 7 Reduce the Chord 1 in , aft . As  per my Whirlwind .
Seeing the Banshee one kinda puts me off that .
So there you are ,
Ken Did Good , The Twister looks Much Better .
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:11:23 PM by Matt Spencer »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »
1/64 lite ply on fuse may reduce the Twist. But will add an ounce or so.

My Twister was 38oz when first completed. After repair its now 40oz.

Good idea but it is too late.  Only thing I could do would be to cut out a section, put in geodetic bracing and re-monokote the hole.  Probably not worth it for a practice plane that probably will never see competition. Should have carboned it.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »
Good idea but it is too late.  Only thing I could do would be to cut out a section, put in geodetic bracing and re-monokote the hole.  Probably not worth it for a practice plane that probably will never see competition. Should have carboned it.
You may be ok as is.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2018, 10:13:04 PM »
Whadaya Mean . It IS Called a TWISTER .  S?P    LL~ LL~ LL~

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2018, 04:15:39 PM »
Whadaya Mean . It IS Called a TWISTER .  S?P    LL~ LL~ LL~
And here I thought that is what you did with a wing warp! You twist her and hit her with a heat gun.
1st successful e-flight today!  Different.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
And here I thought that is what you did with a wing warp! You twist her and hit her with a heat gun.
1st successful e-flight today!  Different.

Ken

Give it time. I’ve grown to really like my electric Twister. It flies different than a glow plane but all the pros of electric outweighs the cons for me at least.

Matt

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
Give it time. I’ve grown to really like my electric Twister. It flies different than a glow plane but all the pros of electric outweighs the cons for me at least.

Matt
You are spot on.  1st e-pattern today and it is a very different feel.  Next adventure is e-trimming.  Anything different?  Mine is "fancherized" and it balances 1/2" forward of the plans C/G.  It doesn't hunt and tracks perfectly when the engine shuts off yet it turns like it is tail heavy.  My question is "is that a Twister thing or an electric thing?  Do I slow down the controls or add nose weight? 

This is definitely my winter fun plane till the contest season starts next year.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »
You are spot on.  1st e-pattern today and it is a very different feel.  Next adventure is e-trimming.  Anything different?  Mine is "fancherized" and it balances 1/2" forward of the plans C/G.  It doesn't hunt and tracks perfectly when the engine shuts off yet it turns like it is tail heavy.  My question is "is that a Twister thing or an electric thing?  Do I slow down the controls or add nose weight? 

This is definitely my winter fun plane till the contest season starts next year.

Ken

I think it’s the plane. Mine is also a Fancherized version. I have the most trouble with the hourglass. I feel like it wants to “over turn” in several maneuvers. That could also easily be the guy on the handle! I’m using the KR timer and an old Castle Creations esc. The governor works well but I don’t get any noticeable gain in maneuvers. I want to try one of the timers with accelerometers to power through maneuvers but don’t want to spend the money right now.

Matt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »
Gentlemen, try changing the handle spacing or get one of Larry Renger's Expo-handles.   Made a big difference on my Imperial Ringmaster. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
I think it’s the plane.
Matt
I don't have enough patterns to form an opinion as to why but, yes, it does want to overturn.  In my case it is probably over controlling.  I used the same lines that I used on my PA ship and I probably need to get another handle and set the spacing closer.  It does seem a bit sensitive as to where you place maneuvers but that is a good thing for a practice ship.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
the same lines that I used on my PA ship and I probably need to get another handle and set the spacing closer.

One plane, one handle, one set of lines.  If handles are too expensive, make 'em.  A 12" x 6" piece of carbon fiber plate from Rockwest Composites won't set you back all that much; that and half a dozen coping saw blades will get you half a dozen handle blanks.  Or if you have more money than time, go ahead and buy.
AMA 64232

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »
I don't have enough patterns to form an opinion as to why but, yes, it does want to overturn.  It does seem a bit sensitive as to where you place maneuvers but that is a good thing for a practice ship.

Ken
I have enough patterns now to form an opinion and I love the plane but it has some characteristics I would like to know from other "twisterers" how they handle it.  I have always flown e 2/3 flap elevator ratio to give better corners.  My twister seems to overturn everything and also seems to tighten loops in both direction on it's own.  It is a bit on the nose heavy side.  C/G is about 1/4" forward from plans.  It is not like it is "winding up" either.  Speed doesn't increase (which is so cool).  Is anybody experiencing similar behavior and if so what are you doing about it.  Maybe the 2/3 is a bad choice for this design.  I am however sold on electric.  That smooth power is going to take some getting used to.  Is any of what I mentioned above due to electric power?  Is this perhaps normal and I just adapt to it? 

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here