News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:15:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twister vs Banshee  (Read 10654 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Twister vs Banshee
« on: August 30, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »
I want to build a "throw away" practice plane for the winter.  EBay has a pretty good price on them right now but I have never flown either.  Assuming I will "Fancherize" whatever I get is there that much difference?  Also, I have heard that the Banshee is Classic Legal but I can't find the date Mike introduced it.  Twister, not so much.  FYI, I fly Expert but I am out of shape.

Thanks - Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Twister vs Banshee
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
Twister is N-30 Legal :D:D

Having not ever flown a Banshee I cant tell you a about it.  Having built and flown a Twister.... I Love It!!!! Except for when it hits the ground lol
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »
Either will do just fine.  Get the one you think is prettier.

AFAIK Sig still sells the kits -- double-check that you're not spending more on eBay than you would with Sig.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 03:07:25 PM »
Either will do just fine.  Get the one you think is prettier.

AFAIK Sig still sells the kits -- double-check that you're not spending more on eBay than you would with Sig.
They are both on sale for $57.  Hard to beat that.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
Twister is N-30 Legal :D:D

Having not ever flown a Banshee I cant tell you a about it.  Having built and flown a Twister.... I Love It!!!! Except for when it hits the ground lol
Thanks - I think we fly Classic/N-30 combined here.  I am leaning towards the Twister.  I have seen quite a few fly and they do very well.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
I got a banshee kit to build because it's classic legal.
The twister is super 70's and N30 legal, but there seems to be more classic categories at contests than the others. Having had both, I'd have both. I just love them.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »
I got a banshee kit to build because it's classic legal
That seals it. - Thanks

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »
Banshee. If you have to "improve things" do the "Mr. Ugly" mods by Jack Sheeks.

I've seen a pretty much stock Banshee do patterns that I thought would do pretty well in expert if the judges could get past the idea of a profile kit-built at that level.  I have yet to see a Twister fly that well--but then I never saw Ted fly his version. I have seen a lot of modified Twisters and I get less impressed with each one. Especially my own. Looks good but doesn't fly very well. It hunts and apparently mine isn't the only one.

I think a key to either of these is to avoid loading it down with a heavy engine. I have just about concluded that an LA46 is just too much for the wing on my Twister. I runs great--but doesn't make the plane a happy flier. I see a Banshee in my future....

My 2 cents,

Dave

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 03:39:11 PM »
I don't know what a "throw away" airplane is.  Maybe one for practice, where you don't much care if it crashes?  I avoid crashing even practice planes.  Because, after it crashes, it can't function as a practice plane.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »
I don't know what a "throw away" airplane is.  Maybe one for practice, where you don't much care if it crashes?  I avoid crashing even practice planes.  Because, after it crashes, it can't function as a practice plane.
By "Throw Away" I mean that I am going to throw it together in a couple of days, monokote it and just fly it till it drops.  I haven't crashed anything (chipped a few props) since 1973 and I don't plan to start now!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
By "Throw Away" I mean that I am going to throw it together in a couple of days, monokote it and just fly it till it drops.  I haven't crashed anything (chipped a few props) since 1973 and I don't plan to start now!

Ken

If you're flying Expert, do that with an Imitation instead of a Twister.  It may take an extra day.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »
If you're flying Expert, do that with an Imitation instead of a Twister.  It may take an extra day.
Probably should but the $57 price on EBay won the day.  I already have two PA capable ships with a 3rd on the bench.  This will be my play toy and introduction to electric.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 06:09:01 PM »
You can get both from SIG for around 56 bucks. On E-Bay you have to watch they don't stick you with a big shipping bill..........

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »
I just got the Banshee from SIG for 66.95 including shipping...…….

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 06:34:26 PM »
  The history of the two airplanes are on the forums here somewhere. Mike Gretz spelled it out before he passed away. The Banshee was commissioned by Glenn Sig to Mike Stott to come up with an airplane that would fly like the Chipmunk, as the first run of the Chipmunk was a success for them. So Mike Stott laid the airplane out as you see it ion the plans designed around the Fox .35, and shows no muffler. Next to nothing in the nose allowed for the longish nose moment. I believe it was designed, built and flown before the Dec, 1969 cut off date and first kits hit the shelves after the first of the year. The Twister came later and I don't think either was published anywhere. Either airplane will do well, it just depends on the nut on the handle!! It depends on how well it's built, trimmed and flown. The modifications that are out there for both airplanes work but they DO add a fair amount of weight. Both airplanes are contest proven in their stock configuration. I have related the story here MANY times of a club member here, John Garrett, taking a stock Twister from beginner all the way to expert. I'm not talking about a series of airplanes, just one! He wore out three FP-.40s along the way, all but one of those stock also, I saw him put a whoopin on several piped models with that airplane. He crashed it a couple of times, and repaired it. The last time it was pretty severe, so we pulled the engine from the wreckage and stomped on the rest to discourage him from trying to resurrect it!  Some one else had the correct answer, get both! Build them stock and have your own little fly off!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
I've only flown a Banshee once, and it was horrible! Yes, it was Tim's.

His idea of the Imitation isn't a bad one, tho. The power for the Imitation is also very flexible. I have seen and launched Bob Duncan's (with a conventional side mount profile nose) with an Aero Tiger .36, and Paul Walker said recently that he had one years ago with a Super Tigre .60. The .46LA or a ST G.51 would be great. It'd be a great airplane, N30 legit I believe, and would be worth putting a little extra time into.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 08:17:22 PM »
If you're going to "Fancherize" it, the the Twister is hands down the better airplane.  If the Banshee is modified in any way then it's not legal for Classic anyway.  A stock Banshee with no mods is not much of a stunt plane other than just a trainer.  Nose is too long and Stab and elevator is too small!

Definitely go for the Twister and Fancherize it.  It'll work well for practice with just about any of the current 40's or an LA46.

Certainly the Imitation is the best airplane but definitely requires a lot more time and effort and expense to build and fly!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 08:33:02 PM »
I've only flown a Banshee once, and it was horrible! Yes, it was Tim's.

His idea of the Imitation isn't a bad one, tho. The power for the Imitation is also very flexible. I have seen and launched Bob Duncan's (with a conventional side mount profile nose) with an Aero Tiger .36, and Paul Walker said recently that he had one years ago with a Super Tigre .60. The .46LA or a ST G.51 would be great. It'd be a great airplane, N30 legit I believe, and would be worth putting a little extra time into.  y1 Steve
Can you expand on Horrible.  n1 I was one click away from ordering one this afternoon.  I would love to have an Imitation but it is just too big for what I want to accomplish and I already have a serious full size profile.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »
Hi Ken,

I've flown the Twister and Banshee and the Twister flies a lot better all round, especially if you do the Ted Fancher mods. However, if you want to electrify it, then you most definitely want to lengthen the tail moment on the Twister. I've seen a few bad attempts at electrifying the Banshee. It just does not suit this mod. The Fox .35 with the muffler is so light so it's hard to replace. The closest engine I've found to replace the Fox, besides the LA .25, is the Enya .30 SS. It weighs about the same as the Fox without the muffler, and it comes with a very light muffler as well.

There are much better profile candidates out there for e-power. To mention one, I would go for Mike Pratt's Force or Primary Force. The nose on these planes is far easier to use for e-power and it's a more modern design that flies well.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 12:16:56 AM »
Incidentally if you really want a first class Expert Level Practice airplane you should consider one of the SV11 ARF's with something like a Randy Smith B&B Magnum 52 or an OS 55ax for power.  I have used the SV11 ARF and a 55AX as a practice plane in the past and believe me when I tell you it is indeed a real Expert level "Stunter" capable of flying 560 + patterns...(that's with no appearance points).  As far as performance it gives up nothing (except of course appearance points).

Very quick to build and relatively inexpensive. 

While you're flying it you could be building an SV11  from one of Randy's great kits and have a first class airplane that flies with the best, with very similar traits to your competition airplane.  The SV11 is in my opinion as good as anything out there (with a pipe or muffler) and far better than most, depending of course on your personal likes.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 06:14:16 AM »
From sig the twister is $53.95 and the banshee is $56.95 I would order it from sig over eBay

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 07:21:59 AM »
Hi Ken,

I've flown the Twister and Banshee and the Twister flies a lot better all round, especially if you do the Ted Fancher mods. However, if you want to electrify it, then you most definitely want to lengthen the tail moment on the Twister. I've seen a few bad attempts at electrifying the Banshee. It just does not suit this mod. The Fox .35 with the muffler is so light so it's hard to replace. The closest engine I've found to replace the Fox, besides the LA .25, is the Enya .30 SS. It weighs about the same as the Fox without the muffler, and it comes with a very light muffler as well.

There are much better profile candidates out there for e-power. To mention one, I would go for Mike Pratt's Force or Primary Force. The nose on these planes is far easier to use for e-power and it's a more modern design that flies well.

Keith R
I might just know where there is an E-powered Primary Force I can hitch a ride on.  I think I will wait till I find out.  The Primary Force may be too big for the main reason I wanted a Twister (The Banshee is out now.  Too many bad reviews from folks that know).  I need a wingspan under 50" to fit into the space I have.  I have a Nobler that I could use but I want a profile so I can screw around with stuff without getting out the E-Xacto knife.  I also don't know if I want to practice flapless.  Timing is different.  I have flown a bunch of flapless planes but I have never flown a competitive pattern capable plane without flaps, I can only guess how much different (Please no Ringnmaster References, I am not Joe Gilbert).  If chopping off 2" from the wing will work and those that know tell me the flaps don't matter then this may be the best cholce.

Thanks for suggesting it - Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 07:23:56 AM »
From sig the twister is $53.95 and the banshee is $56.95 I would order it from sig over eBay
Thanks for pointing that out! mw~

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »
Incidentally if you really want a first class Expert Level Practice airplane you should consider one of the SV11 ARF's with something like a Randy Smith B&B Magnum 52 or an OS 55ax for power.  I have used the SV11 ARF and a 55AX as a practice plane in the past and believe me when I tell you it is indeed a real Expert level "Stunter" capable of flying 560 + patterns...(that's with no appearance points).  As far as performance it gives up nothing (except of course appearance points).

Very quick to build and relatively inexpensive. 

While you're flying it you could be building an SV11  from one of Randy's great kits and have a first class airplane that flies with the best, with very similar traits to your competition airplane.  The SV11 is in my opinion as good as anything out there (with a pipe or muffler) and far better than most, depending of course on your personal likes.

Randy Cuberly
Randy:

I love the SV11 but it is just too big for this project.  Wingspan has to be under 50" to fit where it needs to go for transport. (If I can just figure out how to block these new annoying adds that cover up what I am writing every 15 seconds I will finish - Ok I killed it VD~ )  I also want a profile to learn the electric "gotcha's" before I bury it in a fuselage.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »
I flew my Banshee with an OS FP 40 and won a lot of contests.  After the first flight, I knew it was nose heavy and added tail weight to it.  After that, flew great!!  No muffler  Mine was no dog.  Still have it.  With the exception of the MoBest, best profile I've had.  Might add I built mine from plans, not the kit so I picked all the wood.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
Ken please check.your pm's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 02:13:18 PM »
Whichever one you choose I would use thicker wood for the stab, elevator and flaps and use carbon push rods. I have a Banshee with a bigger stab/elevator but I should have extended the tail of the fuselage and sheeted the leading edge also.

I think the Twister turns tighter but the Banshee flys great in the wind. You can definitely out fly the wing on both.

Motorman 8)

The nice thing about the Banshee and modern engines is that it has a looooong nose.  So if you're going to use a modern muffled engine, you just move the wing forward rather than putting a plug in the fuselage.

I dunno if you need thinker wood in the stab, but definitely do the carbon pushrod thing.
AMA 64232

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »
I would put some 1/64 plywood on the flaps and elevator so the metal joiner doesn’t brake through just 2 inch’s from the the fuse not on the whole surface

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
The nice thing about the Banshee and modern engines is that it has a looooong nose.  So if you're going to use a modern muffled engine, you just move the wing forward rather than putting a plug in the fuselage.

I dunno if you need thinker wood in the stab, but definitely do the carbon pushrod thing.
Going to use the best muffler made - a Cobra 2820/12 and Tom Morris will be getting an order no matter what I do.  Don't know how thick the stab is but I have found that much of what we think is a weak stab is really a twisting fuselage or a flexing pushrod.   I will be putting 2 1/4" carbon fiber arrow shafts from the midpoint of the wing back.  If I make the stab thicker it will be to sand in an airfoil.

Thanks - ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »
Going to use the best muffler made - a Cobra 2820/12 and Tom Morris will be getting an order no matter what I do.  Don't know how thick the stab is but I have found that much of what we think is a weak stab is really a twisting fuselage or a flexing pushrod.   I will be putting 2 1/4" carbon fiber arrow shafts from the midpoint of the wing back.  If I make the stab thicker it will be to sand in an airfoil.

Thanks - ken
Twister uses 3/16 flaps and tail. Stock sig anyways.

I kept the 3/16" flaps. But made horizontal stab and elevator 1/4". Plus triangle stock under it for reinforcement.

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2018, 07:13:44 PM »
FWIW, I built a Twister this past winter and used the Fancher mods along with electric conversion. I used the Brodak electric warbird conversion kit. I skipped the heavy 1/8” ply fuse doublers and cut some 1/32” doublers to replace them with.
It has been a great practice plane for me and is a way better plane than I am a pilot. I’m using the next frame size up Cobra as I used too heavy of wood for the new stab and elevator. Just used the bigger motor for the extra weight. Still needed an ounce of lead in the front of the battery compartment.
Old Castle 45amp Phoenix esc, 4S 2200 battery and 11x5.5 APC pusher prop.

Matt

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 10:47:33 PM »
FWIW, I built a Twister this past winter and used the Fancher mods along with electric conversion. I used the Brodak electric warbird conversion kit. I skipped the heavy 1/8” ply fuse doublers and cut some 1/32” doublers to replace them with.
It has been a great practice plane for me and is a way better plane than I am a pilot. I’m using the next frame size up Cobra as I used too heavy of wood for the new stab and elevator. Just used the bigger motor for the extra weight. Still needed an ounce of lead in the front of the battery compartment.
Old Castle 45amp Phoenix esc, 4S 2200 battery and 11x5.5 APC pusher prop.

Matt
Thanks allot - I may be going this route.  I have a couple of Cobra 2820/12 motors looking for a home.  I have never used one but I am told it is about the same power as a 46.  I am down to a Twister or a Primary Force.  I am only concerned with it staying out on the lines well and turning well.  I don't want to have to think about that stuff while working on my deficiencies. I saw a force fly that way today in a decent wind.  I have seen a Twister do it earlier.  So, I was feeling strongly both ways until I saw Joe Gilbert doing unnatural things %^@ with his Ringmaster.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2018, 06:47:58 AM »

Thanks allot - I may be going this route.  I have a couple of Cobra 2820/12 motors looking for a home.  I have never used one but I am told it is about the same power as a 46.  I am down to a Twister or a Primary Force.  I am only concerned with it staying out on the lines well and turning well.  I don't want to have to think about that stuff while working on my deficiencies. I saw a force fly that way today in a decent wind.  I have seen a Twister do it earlier.  So, I was feeling strongly both ways until I saw Joe Gilbert doing unnatural things %^@ with his Ringmaster.

Ken

I still say the Twister lol.

Was great meeting you yesterday Mr. Ken!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
I have had both and both are very good. I thought maybe the   Banshee flew slightly better and I like the looks of it with the round tips better. But that’s personal taste. Either one should be “Fancherized”. You will find a post on this forum in the last few days on the Fancherized Twister, and the PDF for it as well, on the site. When you read the article you will see the mods apply to the Banshee as well.
Good Luck
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
Hi Ken,
Like has been said before, either is a good choice for a quick model.  Years ago, one of the Guy's (Dave Falkinhagen) wanted a Bansee so I helped him assemble one but we changed the looks to look like a P 40.  We did the Jack Sheek mods at the same time.  It looked pretty cool and after I trimmed it out,  gave it to Dave.  What a great flying model that looked really neat flying around with its camo paint and sharks mouth.

On the P-Force the only difference in the timing of the maneuvers is that you go just ever so slightly go deeper into the turn before you snap the corner (Skyray about the same).  The corner is very tight and stable with clean exits.  The higher aspect ratio wing and airfoil does not bleed off as much airspeed as flapped models so the model holds it turn ability through the maneuvers.  To this day I still think it is one of the major advantages of a flap-less model.

Send me your addres so I can mail a instruction book of the P-Force to you.

Later,
Mikey

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
until I saw Joe Gilbert doing unnatural things %^@ with his Ringmaster.

Ken

I’ve won classic and profile events with a ringmaster, and there are several accounts of 500+ point scores with ringmasters “before Joe made it cool”. 

The RSM kit, while a bit pricey compared to the Sig kits, will build under 30oz easily and will fly well on any 25 size motor, though to me, anything other than a fox 35 seems unamerican ;D

It’s also worth noting that a Ringmaster is eligible for everything: OTS, classic, NOS30, profile/P40, and the pampa classes of course.  One ring to rule them all...as they say.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2018, 07:25:24 AM »
I’ve won classic and profile events with a ringmaster, and there are several accounts of 500+ point scores with ringmasters “before Joe made it cool”. 

The RSM kit, while a bit pricey compared to the Sig kits, will build under 30oz easily and will fly well on any 25 size motor, though to me, anything other than a fox 35 seems unamerican ;D

It’s also worth noting that a Ringmaster is eligible for everything: OTS, classic, NOS30, profile/P40, and the pampa classes of course.  One ring to rule them all...as they say.
I think there were 4 of them at our contest last weekend.  y1 3 in Advanced and one in Expert and all flew in Classic & Profile.  Sort of makes the thousands of hours we spend on these huge piped marvels a questionable endeavor (as I head to the shop to work on one.) LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2018, 09:52:18 AM »
Now we know why Matt Kania named it the 'RINGMASTER'.     H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
I think there were 4 of them at our contest last weekend.  y1 3 in Advanced and one in Expert and all flew in Classic & Profile.  Sort of makes the thousands of hours we spend on these huge piped marvels a questionable endeavor (as I head to the shop to work on one.)

It's a lot easier to get a big marvel to do what it's supposed to than to horse a Ringmaster around.  That's why everyone marveled at how good they did for Ringmasters.
AMA 64232

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »

I still say the Twister lol.

Was great meeting you yesterday Mr. Ken!

Thought you might like to know that the Twister won out.  Building it (with mods) now.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:38:26 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
Thought you might like to know that the Twister won out.  Building it (with mods) now.

Ken
Aww yea!!!!!! Mine is flying again!!!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »
Almost done.  Man electric noses on profiles sure look crummy!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
Almost done.  Man electric noses on profiles sure look crummy!

Ken
Profiles don't have to look bad. 
Here's Bob Hunt's hardnose method:  https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/nose-construction-for-rd-1e/

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »
Hi Ken,
See attached photo of the P_Force XL
Mikey

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2018, 11:37:33 PM »
Hi Ken,
See attached photo of the P_Force XL
Mikey

These all have one thing in common - front mount.  All of my engines are rear mount.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2018, 05:15:02 AM »
These all have one thing in common - front mount.  All of my engines are rear mount.

Ken

Ken, most brushless motors can be mounted either way.

Matt

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:43 AM »
Hi Ken,
Yes most electric motors can be mounted rear or front.  In my opinion the rear mount motor takes up to much realistate in the battery pack area.  You have to have the battery pack as close to the CG as possible to properly balance the model.  Having built both the front and rear mounts it was easier to get the model to balance and still have room to mount the needed components.

One additional thought, with the battery pack mounted on the outboard side of the fuselage you can reduce the amount of tip weight needed.  The XL only has the weight tip box and 1/4 ounce of this weight.

Later,
Mikey

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
Hi Ken,
Yes most electric motors can be mounted rear or front.  In my opinion the rear mount motor takes up to much realistate in the battery pack area.  You have to have the battery pack as close to the CG as possible to properly balance the model.  Having built both the front and rear mounts it was easier to get the model to balance and still have room to mount the needed components.

One additional thought, with the battery pack mounted on the outboard side of the fuselage you can reduce the amount of tip weight needed.  The XL only has the weight tip box and 1/4 ounce of this weight.

Later,
Mikey
The front mount is obviously superior but I cannot find any way to mount a Cobra 2820/12 that way.  If anybody has a way I am more than ready to try it.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2018, 11:01:22 AM »
The front mount is obviously superior but I cannot find any way to mount a Cobra 2820/12 that way.  If anybody has a way I am more than ready to try it.

Ken

It will bolt up on a forward firewall just the same as where you screwed on the aluminum cross mount. You will have to use a collet style prop driver. That is exactly how both Bob’s and Mikey’s motors are mounted in the pictures they posted.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here