General control line discussion > Open Forum

Twister Hinging Part II

(1/5) > >>

Paul Taylor:
Ok guys here is a update:

I had 1/4 oz tip weight. After some input it was determined that I did not have enough.

So I added 3/4 oz’s and flew the plane. When turning it over I was still seeing the OB wing tip. But line tension was much better.
Next flight I added 1/4 oz. Now when turning it over it is showing the bottom of the OB when going inverted and showing the top of the OB when turning over to up right.
I was flying solo today so I could not tell what the wing looked like in level flight. 🥴
So take out 1/8oz? Flap tweak?
I have looked at this wing from every angle and I can see a warp.
Would a video of the wing help?
Thanks

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Paul Taylor on June 22, 2022, 12:52:52 PM ---Ok guys here is a update:

I had 1/4 oz tip weight. After some input it was determined that I did not have enough.

So I added 3/4 oz’s and flew the plane. When turning it over I was still seeing the OB wing tip. But line tension was much better.
Next flight I added 1/4 oz. Now when turning it over it is showing the bottom of the OB when going inverted and showing the top of the OB when turning over to up right.
I was flying solo today so I could not tell what the wing looked like in level flight. 🥴
Thanks

--- End quote ---
You are describing the classic warp but not necessarily in the wing.  How bad will determine if a tweak or tab will fix it.  You still might be light on tip weight (if you recall mine took 1 1/2 oz which is a bunch for a plane that small) but now that you have enough to keep it in the air get the wings level.  Warps in Twister wings are very common and the bad part is that they just keep doing it.  I had to de-warp mine about once a month in the flying season.  MonoKote made that easy. 

Video always helps!  Try and get side views all the way around and a shot from the top.

Ken

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Paul Taylor on June 22, 2022, 12:52:52 PM ---Ok guys here is a update:

Thanks

--- End quote ---

So, with positive Gs you roll to the right/positive and with negative G you see left/negative? Sounds like you overshot a bit on the tip weight. For now, since  you are really just getting started, and can't see any small differences in level flight from the center, I would suggest leaving it as is until you work through the rest of the process. This will give you a bit of margin, then, when you are pretty close on everything, start removing it a few grams at a time. At some point as you are removing it, the corners will suddenly feel like non-events, it will just flow through the corner like nothing happened, that is the ideal tip weight.

If you were down an ounce to begin with, your line tension should be *dramatically improved* , because that is a huge shortfall. Equal-span wings tend to require much more tip weight at a general rule, so that is not entirely surprising.

Brett

Paul Taylor:
Thanks guys. I will make a video tonight and if nothing jumps out the will proceed with the trim flow chart.

Stay tuned ….😎

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Paul Taylor on June 22, 2022, 03:23:18 PM ---Thanks guys. I will make a video tonight and if nothing jumps out the will proceed with the trim flow chart.

Stay tuned ….😎

--- End quote ---
Brett and I both read your post and see the plane doing the exact opposite.  When the plane is level upright do you see the top of the outboard wing (it is higher than the inboard).  When it is inverted level do you see the bottom of the outboard wing (it is higher).  This is a sign of not enough tip weight.  If it is doing what Brett sees it is too much.  I can truthfully say one of us is right.  Here is something we used to do on a new plane "back in the day".  Set the plane upside down on a flat surface so that the top of the rudder and nose or canopy are all that touches.  Put an old set of lines (on the reel of course) on the inboard tip.  Add tip weight till the outboard wing gently falls and touches.  This will put you in the ballpark and will be sufficient for wings level trimming.

All planes are different, even ones from the same plans so my Twister is going to be different from yours BUT I never had much sucess with it till I added tip weight then trimmed the inboard flap chord 1/8" and added a small "Wart" to the outboard flap.  In other words, a tradeoff.  It needed the tip weight for normal flight and it needed the other changes to compensate for having too much tip weight for corners.

I am still betting that you have a small warp!  n1

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version