News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tuning up for the tune-up  (Read 7566 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tuning up for the tune-up
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
The weather report said no rain today, then rain 'til Saturday.

So I got some essential work done this morning, and went out flying this afternoon.  On the way to the field, it started to rain.

@#$%

First flight, I caught some weeds and the plane came in on the lines -- fortunately, instead of going flying by itself, it tangled up a nice new set of lines without damage to the plane.  Except the lines.

Fortunately?

And, while I got my new spare plane closer to flying right, I've still got tank problems.

And it's rain, rain, rain until Saturday.

Joy.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Tuning up for the tune-up
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
April showers brings spring flowers (aka weeds). H^^

We have windy days, then rain, and if we are lucky a flyable day with bright sun shine. But that flyable day it's time to cut the grass, fix something that needs fixen, or something else to keep you from getting to the field.

Watch those flowers.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:51:19 PM »
Tim, bench trimming can take place even when its raining,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
April showers brings spring flowers

In the Northwest, April showers bring May showers.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
And in Eastern Oregon, May showers bring June flowers.  Unless they freeze. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
The weather report said no rain today, then rain 'til Saturday.

And, while I got my new spare plane closer to flying right, I've still got tank problems.

And it's rain, rain, rain until Saturday.

Joy.
Hey Tim, if it rains at the contest are you going to pack up and go home, or will you fly,, yeah thats what I thought, so you need to fly in the rain so you are prepared,, I vote for going and flying anyway,,,,

make sure you take suitable "drowned rat" pictures for us to laugh,, I mean uh,, flying pictures, so we can share your triumphs
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
Hey Tim, if it rains at the contest are you going to pack up and go home, or will you fly,, yeah thats what I thought, so you need to fly in the rain so you are prepared,, I vote for going and flying anyway,,,,

make sure you take suitable "drowned rat" pictures for us to laugh,, I mean uh,, flying pictures, so we can share your triumphs
Well, I flew today, even if I was getting rained on.  I tried to fix a tank problem on that unmentionable airplane by strapping a DuBro clunk tank on the left side of the nose -- it works great, except when it's low it runs out of fuel on the down lines.  I don't know if I'm going to get that straightened out before the contest.

There just haven't been a lot of good flying days this winter!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:54:28 PM »
>>In the Northwest, April showers bring May showers.<<

And unfortunately, more often than not, bring June showers and sometimes July showers.

Man, I love the Northwest!
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
Here is what I was told about flying in the rain.

DON'T DO IT !!!

The rain will hit your lines and water drops will run up the lines and into your wing soaking into the wood making your plane heavy. (Ask Zuriel about that)

Another reason we don't fly here in the south in the rain is 99% of the time they are T-Stormes %^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
Tim:

I can give you one more reason NOT to fly in the rain. I think it was about 1961 (or so)when we were practicing with our 120 MPH Midwest rats (K&B rear rotor 40's) at Chanute air base in Rantoul, Il. I was using the old Easy-Just handle with the cable that exited the back of the handle for adjustment. The weather was very light rain and very foggy. We had not yet developed engine shut-offs. I spent a good 35 laps of getting a ZAP about every 10 seconds in the palm of my hand from the static electricity building up on the lines. Actually burned a spot on my hand. Did we stop flying due to the bad conditions? Noo. I found I could isolate myself from the shock by wrapping my T-shirt around the handle.

Jim Fruit

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 06:46:05 PM »
Well, what an interesting contest.  Friday I came out and crashed in practice -- the Flight Streak was exceedingly sluggish and this apparently helped induce a line tangle at the handle from giving it way too much down.  My lines tangled on the first down-corner of the outside square.  Fortunately I remembered the tip I got here about stepping into the plane to open the turn up and pulling back to tighten -- I was able to bring the plane into the pavement at a shallow enough angle that both blades of the prop got worn off, I lost the fin, sanded a good half inch off the canopy, and did no other damage.

So Friday night was spent gluing the fin back on and putting the canopy back together.

Saturday was Sportsman NW Profile.  I put some tail weight in the streak an boy did it fly better.  It did the wingover as smartly as you please -- then promptly crapped out in the inverted half-lap of the reverse wingover.  Then, it did it again for flight #2.  Then, after I thought I had the problem licked, I went out to the practice circle after the contest, did a half loop to inverted flight -- and the engine crapped out again.

I'm still not sure what changed between Friday, when the engine ran fine but I tangled the lines, and Saturday, when the tank wouldn't behave -- but something sure did.

Later on that day, I was lamenting the fact that I didn't give into temptation and order some Hayes tanks last Sunday.  Our club prez overheard me, and had me stop by his house on the way home for a 3-oz Hayes tank.

Thank You Don Currey

Saturday night was spent putting that Hayes tank onto my old reliable Skyray.

Today, I came out bright and early in the morning, and -- finally, for the first time ever -- put in an official flight in a contest that was as good as I've been doing in practice.  Even with an overrun (which I kinda sorta purposely allowed, because I've been having fuel system problems all winter so I just filled the tank all the way), I got a 352.5.  That's small potatoes for most of you, but not only good for me, but it's smack in the middle of the range that I thought I'd score.

It's a good thing that I'm buoyed by that success (still!!), because on flight #2, with 2.5oz of fuel in the tank, I completely flubbed the downward leg of the triangle (possibly due to sleep deprivation), and reduced my airplane inventory by one.  Fortunately, while muffler has an ear broken off, and the engine has the matching ear partially broken off, the engine appears to have survived.  And, I'm still happy that I've broken the "only fly good in practice" curse at least once.
AMA 64232

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »
Tim,

The crashed bits dont look that bad....  I've rebuilt lots of skyrays for Allana and others in the club.  The ribs are easy to "salvage and with some fresh 1/4 x1/4 spruce spars and LE & TE parts you can have that baby back in the air by Friday. 

Your engine run is a different issue.  I would say unless there's something very odd the tank isn't likely the issue.  We have used the inboard tank location almost exclusively for several years and it always seems to work flawlessly.  Much more predictably than an outboard location.

Good luck with the sorting, I'm sure you'll learn lots as you discover the answers.  Be sure to write all the stuff in your logbook for future reference.

Bruce

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
Your engine run is a different issue.  I would say unless there's something very odd the tank isn't likely the issue.  We have used the inboard tank location almost exclusively for several years and it always seems to work flawlessly.  Much more predictably than an outboard location.

I think you must have me confused with someone else -- I've been trying to make the Flight Streak work with an outboard, hand made metal tank, and except for a recent, abortive, attempt to make a DuBro tank work that's all it's ever had.

I am suspecting that the Flight Streak engine problems aren't fuel related, unless I damaged something in the fuel system in the crash on Friday -- basically, my goal on Saturday and Sunday was to get in the air and fly a whole pattern in competition for the first time, and I not only managed that I did pretty well.  But in the process I went without trying to diagnose exactly what's going on with the Streak.

Even so, unless I find something definitive wrong with the Streak and get some solid success with the current fuel system soon, I'm going to slap a Hayes tank on it and be happy, even if it mars an otherwise nice and clean nose on what was, until recently, a nice looking plane.

I was going to disagree with your comment about rebuilding the Streak wing -- but on reflection, I think you're right.  I've got two good wing panels that just need to be spliced together in the middle, the of the plane rest mostly broke at or close to glue joints -- so I guess my $10 rummage sale plane is going to live to fly another day.
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »
I hate to hear when a plane goes in. But it part of it.

Good thing is the fuse looks to be OK. Put a Streak Wing it it. You will be glad you did. <=
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
so was this the "free ready to fly ARF Flite streak that got upgraded by OCD dude with to much time on his hands" or a different flite streak?

regardless, you got a good flight in,, 352 is great for where you are now,, a bit of confidence and those scores will start getting bigger and bigger,,
Is this your LA or the FP?
did you ask anyone there for help, Scott is pretty good with engine run issues,, and he LOVES to help people who listen,,
anyway,  congrats,, glad to see a positive confidence building contest for you,, I know how you feel man,,
see you in Eugene
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »
Well, I wish I was there this weekend. I could have brought the RFT Banshee that you could spend 6 months rebuilding. It flies OK like it is, though. I also plan on bringing you another plane to work on.

Ya know, there is something to be said for a turn key solution.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
so was this the "free ready to fly ARF Flite streak that got upgraded by OCD dude with to much time on his hands" or a different flite streak?

There's a hidden message in there somewhere, if only I were smart enough to figure it out.

This is the formerly really good looking Flight Streak that you gave me, yes.

regardless, you got a good flight in,, 352 is great for where you are now,, a bit of confidence and those scores will start getting bigger and bigger,,
Is this your LA or the FP?
did you ask anyone there for help, Scott is pretty good with engine run issues,, and he LOVES to help people who listen,,
anyway,  congrats,, glad to see a positive confidence building contest for you,, I know how you feel man,,
see you in Eugene

If I can't get it sorted, I'll be sure to ask for help.  Although, now that there's nekkid balsa on the canopy to distract the eye from the shiny expanse of paint on the inboard nose, there's no reason not to just strap on a Hayes tank like Dr. Dirt recommended.  Having gotten some time -- however brief -- on it with the balance point far enough back, I can tell that the thing is going to fly well.  Now if I can just keep it running for six minutes at a stretch, I'll be home free.

And thanks for the comment on the score -- I didn't even care whether it's good for where I am now, as much as it's what I've been doing in practice, and haven't been able to replicate come contest time.

Well, I wish I was there this weekend. I could have brought the RFT Banshee that you could spend 6 months rebuilding. It flies OK like it is, though. I also plan on bringing you another plane to work on.

Ya know, there is something to be said for a turn key solution.

It would have been good to see you, with or without planes.  You missed a nice contest, with some exceedingly good flying from the field of Expert flyers who attended.

(I want to see an entire video that has nothing but Paul Walker or someone equally good flying -- twice over.  Once that just shows Paul flying the plane, with an inset in one corner that is zoomed out to show the whole flight from the Judges perspective, and once that shows the plane, with an inset of Paul.  That way I can learn the stance and the proper maneuvers.  Lately it seems that the way I've been getting better is to (a) realize that I'm doing something wrong, then (b) watch one of the top guys fly and see what I did wrong.  Sometimes (b) comes first, though).
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
The crashed bits dont look that bad.... 

Ultracoat trimmed back, crunched sheeting removed -- it could almost be a new kit wing ready to be joined.  I just need to re-do the center braces that snapped, and the structure will be as good as new.

(and I need to get a new tank -- Don gave me that tank out of the goodness of his heart, and less than 24 hours later I went and scraped it on asphalt at 50 miles an hour.  Some people just have no gratitude).
AMA 64232

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
I think you must have me confused with someone else -- I've been trying to make the Flight Streak work with an outboard, hand made metal tank, and except for a recent, abortive, attempt to make a DuBro tank work that's all it's ever had.

I must have misunderstood your post above, it sounded like you were using a plastic clunk tank inboard. 

B

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
"Saturday night was spent putting that Hayes tank onto my old reliable Skyray."

Oh wait you did say that.....

and I thought I was losing it...  I guess I didn't have you confused. 

See you at the regionals! Hope you get the SR back in the air.

b

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 05:54:34 AM »
Tim,  people tell me the biggest mistake I make flying stunt, is taking off.    Hope you get things going for you. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:18 AM »
and I thought I was losing it...  I guess I didn't have you confused. 
It must be me, then -- names and faces just won't stay connected in my brain, so if you see me at the regionals don't hesitate to introduce yourself multiple times...
AMA 64232

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »
Tim,

I gotta confess .... I laughed out loud, all alone, when I read your post....  I'll be sure to say hi "lots of times".... see you soon.

B

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »
The wing, by the way, is half way to being fixed.  It just needs new sheeting and covering, then I just need to epoxy a bunch of bits together.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 10:38:09 PM »
The wing, by the way, is half way to being fixed.  It just needs new sheeting and covering, then I just need to epoxy a bunch of bits together.
Tim,, do I need to reintroduce myself too,, or do you associate my face with the plane,, just sayin,,
glad your slappin her back together,, do we get another photo essay while we watch you make it all beaurtifull again,, or are you just going for the gusto and making it straight and airworthy? inquiring minds want to know

again, I am really glad you had a positive experience in Portland,, really wish I could have been there to share it with ya Tim
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
Tim,, do I need to reintroduce myself too,, or do you associate my face with the plane,, just sayin,,
glad your slappin her back together,, do we get another photo essay while we watch you make it all beaurtifull again,, or are you just going for the gusto and making it straight and airworthy? inquiring minds want to know

again, I am really glad you had a positive experience in Portland,, really wish I could have been there to share it with ya Tim

Mark, with you I know that I just keep looking up and up until I only see one guy -- and there you are.

I'm going to make it just as beautiful as it was before.  Which means I don't want to risk breaking my camera taking any pictures of it.
AMA 64232

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 12:46:04 PM »
I was not able to be at this contest, which in Tim's case was probably a real good deal.

It sounds as if I would have spent the whole weekend telling him "I told you so!" even if about 98% of the time I would not have been so polite as to use those exact words...

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »
I was not able to be at this contest, which in Tim's case was probably a real good deal.

It sounds as if I would have spent the whole weekend telling him "I told you so!" even if about 98% of the time I would not have been so polite as to use those exact words...

Dan

Yeah, Dan I dont think I have ever heard you use those words, you are generally more creative when you tell people that,, LOL
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, I did take that as given.

I've got two tanks on order -- one for the Skyray, and one for the Streak.

Edit:

And -- my problems on Saturday, with dying inverted, were fuel problems but not tank problems.  I'm using the FP remote needle valve, due to my propensity to land inverted from time to time.  The outlet fitting on that thing is small, smooth, and slippery, and the fuel tubing I was using on it wasn't all that small.  It appears that it was leaking when I was inverted but not when upright.  I changed to tighter tubing on that nipple -- and my problems are gone.

Someone needs to make a needle valve that can be landed on, for beginners like me.  In the mean time, as long as my crashes are predominantly pilot error and not motor-run problems, I'm thinking it's wise to stick with remote needles.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:03:47 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
Yeah, Dan I dont think I have ever heard you use those words, you are generally more creative when you tell people that,, LOL

Mark,

You've got that right! Creativity counts for something, especially when ridiculing a fellow CL enthusiast who seemingly has let proven advice just whiff right over his head while at the same time getting seriously in the weeds over exactly how the 20FP (w/BB T-U) works in a CL Stunt application.

There truly is such a thing as over-thinking this stuff...!

Trivia Test: Name the man who came up with the short-hand "Brett Buck Tune-Up" description?

Dan 

Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
Tim,

Someone does make a needle valve which allows for inverted landings without damage. And you're using one!

Ditch the bracketry for your OEM remote needle. Arrange fuel tubing such that it tends to hold NVA aligned fore and aft with fuselage and nestled against upper side of engine. Yes, it will flop around a bit but minor fiddling will result in an installation where Needle Knob is readily to hand and clear of prop while still allowing easy manipulation of said NK. And when you land inverted (naughty, naughty!) the remote will be nicely out of harm's way.

While you never saw it--ask Mark why it is no longer around!--my last ARF Flite Streak, the legendary  Dirt Mobile II, had two O.S. remotes mounted in-line and only fuel tubing held them in place. Worked great, even if being a bit of a head-fake for the Lookie-Louie folk...

With those 3-ounce Hayes tanks, due to odd shape of the things they ought be mounted such that there is a fair bit of adjustment available to get height of tank correct. You will probably want to start with fuel outlet of tank about 1/4" higher than centerline of engine. Mounting scheme should also include provisions for reliably and repeatedly making adjustments to tank height. I sometimes get confused looks over this (reference: Richard Entwhistle) but when you're really, really close shimming in increments of 1/64" will prove quite handy.

Especially if you remember previous discussions concerning getting tank height merely close enough in level flight, from then on depending only upon engine response in maneuvers to determine next adjustment.

In any case, landing inverted at a contest, in front of your friends, is really bad form. Even if I did exactly that at the NWR a couple years ago...

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 12:36:57 PM »
Dan, I think that predates my involvment in CL so I have nary a clue,, I could stab at it,, but then, thats a blue yonder area to pull from,, Unless it was that really quiet guy ,, kinda short,, used to fly combat,, I think hes from Yakima? uhh,, oh and he wrote articles for various mags as I recall,,
I assume you are refering to the moniker BBTU?
anyway,,
are you going to make Eugene this year, or are the OTHER two stroke powered noise makers going to keep you away,, ( I am referring specifically to the machines,, not the family members,, )
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »
Tim,

While you never saw it--ask Mark why it is no longer around!--my last ARF Flite Streak, the legendary  Dirt Mobile II, had two O.S. remotes mounted in-line and only fuel tubing held them in place. Worked great, even if being a bit of a head-fake for the Lookie-Louie folk...
Yeppers,, seems I recall that one indeed,, in Chehalis,, I recall as it were you being generous enough to offer use of said "veteran" Flite streak to one young lady who had caused damage to her plane earlier,, and as I recall, there was something about her forgetting to keep her hand following the plane during her loops that lead to a rather un-BBTU style run,, one of the few times an FP did not run as predicted,, ( of course that may or may not be a result of the asphalt injection created by direct line flight into said asphalt) which then resulted in one rather dissasembled Previous "veteran" flite streak,and One less FP20 available for said BBTU, also one rather emotionally distraught young lady,,

In any case, landing inverted at a contest, in front of your friends, is really bad form. Even if I did exactly that at the NWR a couple years ago...

Dan

Dan oh how humiliating,, I can hardly imagine the feeling you suffered landing inverted in front of your peers,,

oh wait, yes I can,, I seem to have perfected that maneuver prior to Tim showing up, now he is taking over my mantle,, THANKFULLY
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:48 PM »
Tim,

Someone does make a needle valve which allows for inverted landings without damage. And you're using one!

Ditch the bracketry for your OEM remote needle. Arrange fuel tubing such that it tends to hold NVA aligned fore and aft with fuselage and nestled against upper side of engine. Yes, it will flop around a bit but minor fiddling will result in an installation where Needle Knob is readily to hand and clear of prop while still allowing easy manipulation of said NK. And when you land inverted (naughty, naughty!) the remote will be nicely out of harm's way.

Come to think of it, I recall you saying this before.  My FP-20 must be a good listener, because the bracket is cracking and needs to be removed.

With those 3-ounce Hayes tanks, due to odd shape of the things they ought be mounted such that there is a fair bit of adjustment available to get height of tank correct. You will probably want to start with fuel outlet of tank about 1/4" higher than centerline of engine. Mounting scheme should also include provisions for reliably and repeatedly making adjustments to tank height. I sometimes get confused looks over this (reference: Richard Entwhistle) but when you're really, really close shimming in increments of 1/64" will prove quite handy.

Especially if you remember previous discussions concerning getting tank height merely close enough in level flight, from then on depending only upon engine response in maneuvers to determine next adjustment.

Given that the current mounting is hooks & rubber bands, I have adjustment room.

Bad form or not, I seem to make a habit of it.
AMA 64232

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »
"Saturday night was spent putting that Hayes tank onto my old reliable Skyray."

Oh wait you did say that.....

and I thought I was losing it...  I gue

ss I didn't have you confused. 

See you at the regionals! Hope you get the SR back in the air.

b

Roger that KEN.   :)

P

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44:43 PM »
Points for an inverted landing are only awarded to those who land on the concrete takeoff pad. The rest of the circle is a zero. I got mine on the McMinnville circle.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
Delta park has an entire paved circle -- does that mean that I get points for landing anywhere?

And, speaking of inverted landings for which you should get points:

Jim Harper lost a leadout on (I think) Saturday at the tune-up, and did an absolutely superlative job of keeping the plane in the air by stepping into it at the bottoms of the circle and stepping away at the tops, while at the same time walking it out over to the grass for a landing.  With the exception of the broken leadout, the plane was in good enough shape that he could have just wiped off the dirt and flown again.

If special awards were given for valor in the face of equipment problems, he would have gotten the one for the stunt circle that weekend.
AMA 64232

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 11:57:19 AM »
Delta park has an entire paved circle -- does that mean that I get points for landing anywhere?

And, speaking of inverted landings for which you should get points:

Jim Harper lost a leadout on (I think) Saturday at the tune-up, and did an absolutely superlative job of keeping the plane in the air by stepping into it at the bottoms of the circle and stepping away at the tops, while at the same time walking it out over to the grass for a landing.  With the exception of the broken leadout, the plane was in good enough shape that he could have just wiped off the dirt and flown again.

If special awards were given for valor in the face of equipment problems, he would have gotten the one for the stunt circle that weekend.

Yep. Old CL Combat trick. Saved my second Wimpact in just that manner and with same technique (broken line).

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »
Dan, I think that predates my involvment in CL so I have nary a clue,, I could stab at it,, but then, thats a blue yonder area to pull from,, Unless it was that really quiet guy ,, kinda short,, used to fly combat,, I think hes from Yakima? uhh,, oh and he wrote articles for various mags as I recall,,
I assume you are refering to the moniker BBTU?
anyway,,
are you going to make Eugene this year, or are the OTHER two stroke powered noise makers going to keep you away,, ( I am referring specifically to the machines,, not the family members,, )

Doug Moon came up with the now-common reference to the ideal tune-up for a 20FP.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:54 PM »
Specifically for Tim:

Ya know, back when there was some discussion on this site over your massaging of an ARF Flite Streak I pitched in with many a comment. Alas it quickly began to look as if I was merely gainsaying your every statement simply because I could, this made easier due to the fact that there are multiple approaches which can give satisfactory results. So I backed off...

I think maybe we'll go back to picking nits.

When I said to use a tank mounting system which gives reliable results the use of rubber bands was not part of the deal! Drop by a hardware store and pick up some "O" rings. Or form a loop from silicone fuel tubing by inserting a 4-40 stud in open ends and wrapping these ends with wire.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »
Dan, I daresay that you have pretty much spent more time on Flite Streaks than anyone else I know,, so I guess if anybody can answer to variations and alterations, it might be you  H^^
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
Specifically for Tim:

Ya know, back when there was some discussion on this site over your massaging of an ARF Flite Streak I pitched in with many a comment. Alas it quickly began to look as if I was merely gainsaying your every statement simply because I could, this made easier due to the fact that there are multiple approaches which can give satisfactory results. So I backed off...

And here I thought I was being an intransigent beginner in the face of wise experience...

When I said to use a tank mounting system which gives reliable results the use of rubber bands was not part of the deal! Drop by a hardware store and pick up some "O" rings. Or form a loop from silicone fuel tubing by inserting a 4-40 stud in open ends and wrapping these ends with wire.

I know.  It's either new rubber bands every two weeks, or something that lasts a bit better.  I knew about the fuel tubing trick, but Saturday night was my third late night of flogging, and I knew from experience that the rubber bands would be reliable for a short time.

I like the O-ring idea -- it sounds less ugly than rubber bands, as well as more durable.  I'll have to go shopping -- US sized O-rings get pretty thick at the OD that I'd need, but maybe I can use metrics, or maybe my hooks are long enough so thick doesn't matter, or I can just use fuel tubing.
AMA 64232

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 01:03:26 PM »
Dan, I daresay that you have pretty much spent more time on Flite Streaks than anyone else I know,, so I guess if anybody can answer to variations and alterations, it might be you  H^^

I am having trouble deciding whether or not that is a compliment! I mean, who wants to be an expert on bottom-feeder models?

It's actually an interesting comment as prior to the 20FP deal from Brett and the availability of ARF Flite Streaks I don't believe I had ever actually flown a Flite Streak, odd as that may seem to others. But just as with the Skyray from SIG, the Flite Streak gets really, really good when paired with a 20FP w/BB T-U.

No, I mean scary good. Far better than the sum of its parts good. Or as Brett once said after converting his Skyray from a Fox 35 to a 20FP, "It was like the wind and gravity had been turned off."

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
Tim needs to learn to have more faith in Da Dirt. While he might not have ready access to an exceedingly good hardware store I do and so buy totally appropriate "O" rings right off the shelf. Most of them measure .070 although there are also slightly to decidedly thicker options available.

Tim, when finding your source also snag a few smaller ones for the venturi. After digging clear to the bottom of your undies drawer and retrieving that old pair of panty hose that seemed like such a good gag for the odd office party or two you can use the material to make diffusers/air filters for your engines.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here