News:

• April 16, 2024, 06:25:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tufstrand vs. Spectra lines?  (Read 1014 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tufstrand vs. Spectra lines?
« on: May 02, 2021, 09:27:34 AM »
Guys,
I've been looking into some simple lines for 1/2A, no gear flying and because they flip over on landing a lot though that something like the Sullivan Tufstrand or Spectra lines (35') would hold up better than 0.008 steel. Has anyone flown both the Tufstrand and Spectra that could say which one works for our use longer? I don't know the difference between the two as far as thickness, shape, drag etc. Any thoughts?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
Re: Tufstrand vs. Spectra lines?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:45:07 AM »
I've flown in the past with the Tufstrand. It's large diameter, heavy, and very draggy. You'll be much better off using Spectra lines - less weight, less drag, no kinks, and quite strong. Only reason more people aren't using them more is they have yet to be officially approved for use in PA contests.

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »
  The only thing Tuffstrand lines are good for is as dental floss! I tried flying one mode one time using those, and it was almost not flyable. Switch to normal lines and all was well.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 02:46:32 PM »
Guys,
I've been looking into some simple lines for 1/2A, no gear flying and because they flip over on landing a lot though that something like the Sullivan Tufstrand or Spectra lines (35') would hold up better than 0.008 steel. Has anyone flown both the Tufstrand and Spectra that could say which one works for our use longer? I don't know the difference between the two as far as thickness, shape, drag etc. Any thoughts?

Tuffstrand is worthless as noted, far too draggy even for a 60-sized airplane, much less 1/2A.  It makes a good stooge line, forget it for flying.

I haven't tried the smaller Spectra lines, I would say it has potential and should be much tougher than .008 stranded.

Brett

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:21:26 PM »
Dennis,i have been using Spectra lines for a year and a 1/2 out at the FF cow pasture an my paved circle when using the stooge  at the circle i ruined a new set of .015 braided on the first flight carrying the plane back to the pits  i pull test before each flight when possable Rad
rad racer

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 11:56:01 PM »
i ruined a new set of .015 braided on the first flight carrying the plane back to the pits 
Bit off topic but I couldn't help passing on a "trick" I learned from one of our departed former champions.   Most paved circles have a hole in the center, maybe it is where the speed guys put their poll or it is there because someone like me poked it, or maybe just a crack.   Grass, make your own hole.  Now, take a screwdriver or a stick, anything, and hook your thong on it after the flight.  Then walk the plane back with the lines tight.  Better yet, practice spot landing so you don't have to walk it back.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 04:29:45 PM »
Dave Trible already has a tool for putting the handle on after landing so he can walk his plane back to the spot he is launching from.   It is a board with the post in the middle that can be moved around.  H walks his lines out after almost every flight and he can set the board over out of his way for next flight. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 08:32:17 PM »
I have been using a 30lb dyneema fishing line for small trainer models of recent. Only mishap has been a knot let go during a flight. A dot of super glue fixes that. I don't know much more than that about it, it was off a bulk roll at a local fishing store.
NZL7396

Offline David Murrell

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 02:12:42 AM »
Check out your local fishing tackle shop for multi strand fishing line (Firewire etc) 20 lb is plenty for 1/2A, while there take a lesson on how to tie it properly and DO NOT use super glue, too rigid and will break
Cheers

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 04:21:45 AM »
here is a vidieo on the BEST knot for spectra or braided lines. Been using it on all my stunters for over 4 years and no failures..

Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here