News:

• April 18, 2024, 07:23:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trophy from the past.  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Trophy from the past.
« on: July 16, 2018, 11:00:20 PM »
Old USA trophy from 1950.  Does anyone know the trivia about this old trophy from Michigan State dated year 1950.  It is sitting on a shelf in an antique shop some 50 miles west of Sydney, Australia.  How did this trophy get this far from it's original home?

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
Re: Trophy from the past.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:12:03 PM »
I'm no expert on model history but the trophy reads "Sponsored by Greater Detroit Plymouth Dealers." It probably is from the Plymouth contest series, sponsored by Plymouth Motors, that was a big deal around 1950, in the East and Midwest of the USA. There are others on this site who surely will have detailed information and hopefully will chime in. How it made it to Sydney may be lost in the mists of time. Detroit is in the State of Michigan of course, but the trophy probably has nothing to do with the State of Michigan per se.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 05:59:35 AM »
What a great trophy!

Looking at the little figure, do you think they took a figure of a person swinging a tennis racket, sawed off the racket, and then connected wires to his hand?

I still like it though.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 06:41:31 AM »
That's an awesome trophy.

Derek

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 08:10:35 AM »
A trophy like that would deserve to be placed where it could be seen on a daily basis. Beautiful!

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
It should not be too difficult to determine who the trophy was presented to considering that the plaque says '1st Place'.
At least that what it looks like in that picture.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
RATS!  I've often wondered where that trophy went.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
Old USA trophy from 1950.  Does anyone know the trivia about this old trophy from Michigan State dated year 1950.  It is sitting on a shelf in an antique shop some 50 miles west of Sydney, Australia.  How did this trophy get this far from it's original home?

OMG Dallas.  I hope you bought it and brought it home where it belongs.  What a nice piece of history.

It does, however, make me feel a little old as it is only nine years earlier than my first Nats.  It's in better shape though.

Ted

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »
The Plymouth meet in Detroit was called "Plymouth International Model Plane Contest".  A pretentious title.  It was by invitation only.  It was necessary to win a Plymouth regional contest, and the Plymouth Motor Co. paid transport, lodging, and all other expenses to Detroit for its "Internats".

I actually won a trophy at the Los Angeles Plymouth Regional contest in 1950.  I think it was a 2nd place in stunt, judging from the small size of the cup.  But not good enough to get a free trip to Detroit.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
I bet Paul Smith knows. Modify the title of the post so it catches his eye.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »
Did a google search and found this:

Its of the 1948 version of the Plymouth meet.  Some "stunt" coverage starts about 13 minutes into it. 

Ted

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
Perhaps if we had bagpipe marching bands in full Highlands regalia like the Plymouth meet (about 14:30 into the film) we would draw more spectators to our meets. Or drive them away, hard to tell.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 09:45:49 PM »
Did a google search and found this:

Its of the 1948 version of the Plymouth meet.  Some "stunt" coverage starts about 13 minutes into it. 

Ted
Ted, that old film was properly cool!  Love seeing that stuff.  I can imagine the noise level as back then probably no one had a muffler on an engine.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 09:49:44 PM »
Lou Andrews won 1st place in 1948 flying a Trixter Invert Junior. 

Might have to find the right magazine to figure out who won in 1950.

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 11:21:44 PM »
OMG Dallas.  I hope you bought it and brought it home where it belongs.  What a nice piece of history.

It does, however, make me feel a little old as it is only nine years earlier than my first Nats.  It's in better shape though.

Ted

I'll go back and get a better pic abd price for us Ted.  I didn't ask the going price of it as I was still picking myself up off the floor at the $6000 price tag on a dentist's cabinet.  It was a great bit of kit but not in my workshop for storing all sorts of metal machine cutters!

Would be great to put a name on 1st place for it in 1950.  The burning question is "who brought it downunder".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
The Plymouth meet in Detroit was called "Plymouth International Model Plane Contest".  A pretentious title.  It was by invitation only.  It was necessary to win a Plymouth regional contest, and the Plymouth Motor Co. paid transport, lodging, and all other expenses to Detroit for its "Internats".

I actually won a trophy at the Los Angeles Plymouth Regional contest in 1950.  I think it was a 2nd place in stunt, judging from the small size of the cup.  But not good enough to get a free trip to Detroit.

You were a handsome dude even back then.  Did you ask the gorgeous lady for a date? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
At that tender age, I was too shy to ask for her phone number.  I soon got over that problem.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here