News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:28:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting VSC OTS Stats  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Interesting VSC OTS Stats
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
Of the 45 OTS ships that flew in the 23rd VSC: 62% of them would NOT have qualified in the first GSCB OTS contest.

Of the 45 OTS ships that flew, only 32% of these used period engines.

Are we having fun yet?

Anyone remember when fun was a one of a kind airplane, and an odd-ball 40’s or 50’s engine…

W.

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Interesting VSC OTS Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »
I was there but I don't fly OT, so I have no dog in the hunt. But there was an awful lot of planes beginning with the letters J and H. I used to see just as many Ringmasters and Barnstormers. I guess it goes in cycles.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »
I, for one, am thankful that PAMPA has "liberalized" the "published or kitted" part of OTS.  Otherwise, we certainly would have contests full of Ringmasters and such.  However, with so many possible choices, I'm dismayed that we still seem to have a field full of "J & H" planes.

Although I own a couple Ringmasters, I enter OTS contests with more interesting designs.

Floyd

p.s. not picking on the Ringmaster-- just used as an example
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
I'd never heard of Big Jobs, Jamisons or Humongouses back in the day, although I only started flying about 1957.  One way to look at it is that they are finally getting the credit they deserved then. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
Ward,
While I am not against modern engines in OTS, it would be nice to see mostly period engines. Unfortunately they are not all available to everyone. Using modern engines possibly encourages participation.

In Classic the designers were always looking for improvements, including adding power. The Classics come alive with some of the modern engines, making these airplanes usable for than one event.

I am not against the H, J, or BJ, but I would like to see more variety.

This is what I wrote in the Tucson report:

The top 10 in OTS had only ONE airplane that was on the original OTS eligibility list: The "Madman".

Almost 1/2 of the OTS entries comprised of "Humongous", "Jamison" and "Big Job".

There were 9 flying entries in OTS Ignition. 5 of the 9 were "Humongous". Only 4 were on the original eligibility list

Here's hoping that next year there is a larger variety in the true spirit of OTS. There are many good flying OTS airplanes!

I was also asked if I was going to have "different" airplanes next year at VSC.

Here is my reply:

I plan on being at VSC next year.

I will have an OTS airplane that has only been seen once or twice at VSC. It will have an engine that, according to Uncle Mikey, has never been seen at VSC. It is almost finished. I am currently detailing it and then it will get the clear dope top coat to complete it.  I should have it trimmed out in a couple months. I am building this particular airplane in honor of my long time friend, John Miske.

For Classic I am in the finishing stage of an airplane that, to my knowledge, has never been at VSC.

See y'all March 2012 in Tucson
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:38:22 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
Tom,

I'd expect no less of you.

Ward-O

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
HI Ward,

Well, I for one, can always build an "odd ball" and not worry.  Why? Because we have way too many darn good OTS pilots that frequent our local (Huntersville) meets! LL~  5 or 6 NATS or VSC Champs show up there all the time it seems, so I just donate my entry fee to the plaque fund. ;D  (but I have had a lot of fun when I did fly OTS and it has been with a Super Clown! LOL!!!)

I imagine that a lot of the guys who make the trek to Tuscon for VSC are serious and want a chance at winning or at least placing.  And the *H*, *J* and *BJ* sure seem to be "winning planes".  I have to think that there are plenty more planes that can do the job more than well enough to "win", but maybe everyone is "scared" to try something different. ;D 

On the other hand, I have seen Sir Thomas of Luper do very well with "other" models.  Of course, he is pretty good at wiggling a handle.

I love to see different stuff flying, I wasn't at any contests back in the '50-'60s, and I like seeing models that were flown back in the day.  Just wish there was some way of encouraging different models, but there seems to be no good way of doing that.

Next up for me looks like a Stuntwagon 30.
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
These stats provide very powerful evidence that you can't legislate the way people look at an event.  You can't take a group of competitive guys and tell them that an event is "just for fun," so please ignore the scoreboard, as we have been told loudly and repeatedly.  That's just not how people are.  Actually, I think that telling someone else how to view his event is a bit like telling him how to touch his woman behind closed doors.  NOYB.  Obviously some guys take it less seriously, some not seriously at all, and all shades of gray in between--and would do so in any case regardless of rules.  Again that's just how people are.

If a higher percentage of period engines is desired, then substantial bonuses for period glow engines would help.  If a diesel (which has what to do with OTS?) can get 5 points, then surely a 1952 Fox deserves a bonus.   
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 01:02:25 AM »
Out here we fly Vintage stunt - aka OTS - It is IMPOSSIBLE to win unless you have all the avaliable static point. The static portion accounts for 1/3 of your score.

Lets say OTS a great score is 600 - Imagine 200 of those points accounting for static portion.. Bonus for non flapped, bonus for spark ignition - I understand the rules are similar but its impossible to try to win with an ultra compeitive model with modern powerplant you just cannot make up that many points...

Classic for newer engines / airframes - OTS for older and bring out the spark ignition.  I don't think its bad playing with modern engines in OTS but I feel its defeats the purpose - you want it to be a static/flying event not just a flying event like classic.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:49:57 AM »
Do away with the plastic trophies! (No braggin' rights)!

1st place wins .39c

2nd place .29c

3rd place .19c

Put that in your trophy cabinet!

w.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here