News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:19:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trifecta  (Read 15630 times)

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Trifecta
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2022, 12:53:56 PM »
No. They are 1/8" thick at the TE with an 1/8" carbon fiber cap.  The elevators were tapered from 1/2" at the LE to 1/8" at the TE.  They are imbedded into the stab and not sealed.

Ken

They only stick up 1/16" top and bottom? Just curious because when I went to a 2 bade on my plane it developed a slight hunt. If this might fix it I will try it.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2022, 01:11:34 PM »
They only stick up 1/16" top and bottom? Just curious because when I went to a 2 bade on my plane it developed a slight hunt. If this might fix it I will try it.
Close.  I just measured.  I sliced the strip by eyeball then centered it.  It was 5/16 wide and 3/32 sticking up on each side.  They go the full length of the elevator.  Keep in mind that Trifecta is twin tail so I am already blocking the vortex.  That may or may not have anything to do with anything but it does corner much tighter with the same handle effort.

I know you are not electric but one surprise was the battery draw did not go up.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2022, 05:18:08 PM »
Today was the test of the Gurney tabs in full pattern mode and as Bob stated, "they are not coming off".  The overall control difference was worth it alone.  Corners about 2' tighter with the same effort and just as smooth.  It may have been wishful thinking, but I also felt that the handle pressure on corners was less. Tracking in all maneuvers was better, noticeably in the RWO and hourglass.  I tried something in my inverted flight to see if there was any improvement at different altitudes.  Interestingly at 2' and 6' the plane was rock steady but at 5' it felt like it wanted to wander a bit.  We have a domed circle and "rulebook" 5' here is about 6 1/2' above ground.  I have been trying to find the right altitude for level that doesn't look too high.  Another surprise was how easy it was to hold the takeoff down.

One thing that has sparked my curiosity.  I felt a larger improvement in corners than I expected.  Could any of that be the logarithmic since it produces a wider flap/elevator ratio?

Crist Rigotti tried them today.  His comment upon landing was the same. "They stay on".  He is experimenting with width.  I will leave it up to him to report on that if he so desires.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2022, 06:26:22 PM »

One thing that has sparked my curiosity.  I felt a larger improvement in corners than I expected.  Could any of that be the logarithmic since it produces a wider flap/elevator ratio?

In my experience with them, I don’t think so. With the balsa wedges and the layers of tape versions I’ve tried, the corners have been better and easier. That was the biggest difference in them that I felt with them on, cornering could be harder and still come out dead flat without needing excessive control force…just more consistent
Matt Colan

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2022, 07:58:09 PM »
Isn’t Joe Gilbert whupping a** with a Ringmaster? That may be the ultimate trifecta. A little carbon here, a modern engine there, what’s not to like?

You have got that right,  Larry.  I've watched and judged Joe several times.  He used a very well-built Ringmaster.  Without measuring, it looks well within anything that might have been done in the 50's and 60's.

Most of his presentation was well-practiced PRESENTATION of the maneuvers.  He always gave the judges a very good look at the maneuver and never had the plane  give even a hint of falling out of position.  He also was very good and making slight changes to maneuvers to position them better and make them look crisper and cleaner when necessary.  I've never seen a profile flyer do a better job, anywhere.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2023, 02:58:46 PM »
Well, I found out today why I should not fly when the wind is directly into the sun.  Flew right through it on a practice RWO and pulled out 5'1" low.  Never saw the plane hit.  Not the way I wanted to start the year.  Guess it is time for the cataract surgery.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2023, 04:25:52 PM »
Ouch!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2023, 05:10:56 PM »
Well, live and learn.  Where were your sun glasses? D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2023, 05:12:12 PM »
Oh sorry Ken..keeps you building.   Brings up a recent bad memory.   Still have time to build a new one before the season starts.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2023, 05:52:17 PM »
Sorry to see that you lost such a nice plane.  I guess you can console yourself with "better to go out in glory than to rot away sitting in an attic/basement".  I guess...

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2023, 07:10:17 PM »
Well, live and learn.  Where were your sun glasses? D>K
I was wearing them.  Really cool wrap arounds.  They don't help much when I look directly at the sun.  This one goes into the "@#$% happens" category.  After I get over how stupid I was to fly the RWO into the sun I will fix the plane and go do something equally as stupid.  It will fly again.  Wing was undamaged and all of the power train survived.  I am going to drop the Classic part of Trifecta and put a normal rudder and stab tip plates instead of the twins.

Ken

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2023, 07:24:06 PM »
Well I gave in and replaced the twin rudders.  Actually I just covered the crushed frames with 1/32.   It is almost recovered. Add a little trim and back to the RWO rehab sessions.
Found some tail art.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2023, 06:06:36 PM »
Proof of life.  Actually flies better after the repairs.  Certainly looks better!  Going to redo the landing gear.  What is on there now sounds like a shopping basket full of beer cans being pushed over a washboard. %^@

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2023, 06:25:50 PM »
Proof of life.  Actually flies better after the repairs.  Certainly looks better!  Going to redo the landing gear.  What is on there now sounds like a shopping basket full of beer cans being pushed over a washboard. %^@

Ken

Ain't that the truth!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2023, 10:06:26 AM »
Way. To. Go.  I HATE repairing airplanes, you did great.

Going to redo the landing gear.  What is on there now sounds like a shopping basket full of beer cans being pushed over a washboard. %^@

Ken

Aluminum gear?  I wonder if its possible to mount it on servo grommets?  I also really wonder if that would help???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2023, 10:55:58 PM »
Way. To. Go.  I HATE repairing airplanes, you did great.

Aluminum gear?  I wonder if its possible to mount it on servo grommets?  I also really wonder if that would help???
Wheels made so much noise I had to do something.  Ball Bearings.  Overkill - Absolutely but what is a hobby for anyway!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2023, 11:11:29 AM »
Wheels made so much noise I had to do something.  Ball Bearings.  Overkill - Absolutely but what is a hobby for anyway!

Ken

Overkill? No such thing.  Moderation is for Monks, anything worth doing is worth OVERdoing!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here