News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:27:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transport Rack  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Transport Rack
« on: February 19, 2006, 09:14:19 AM »
Hi All

I would like to get some ideas on constructing a rack to transport my planes to the field.  I have a small Toyota PU with a camper shell on it so the rack would need to orient the planes so that the wings are running from the nose of the truck to the tail gate because of bed width.  I am thinking that schedule 40 PVC would be good and I would need to be able to easily knock it down for storage.
Schematic's, diagrams and photo's are welcome. 

Thanks guys

Marv

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
Re: Transport Rack
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 03:26:37 PM »
Bob Smiley built and uses just what you need.

Yep, mostly PVC piping.

A nice trick with Bob's rack is that he just pulls the whole thing out, models and all. He selects one and goes to fly.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 08:01:45 PM »
Dan,

Mine's PVC. Bob's is wood. 1x2s and 1" dowels, I think.

Mine is just a 2 holer. Bob's id a sixer.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 10:29:32 PM »
Here's a picture of Mike Haverly's rack for his Ranger p'up. On the other hand, some put a sheet of plywood at top of box level, leaving a huge shelf to slide models onto. Chris Cox has his setup this way (Mazda P'up, I think).  Paul W. has his wife's Dakota P'up setup this way, too.

Using the shelf method, it would probably be good to have bubblewrap covers for the models, and some method to keep them in location. Maybe pulley and 1/8" nylon line, lashed to cleats on the rear of the shelf. Good thing is that your lower level is left open to heavy stuff, flight boxes, fuel jugs, luggage, ice chest, sunshade, etc.

Then again, the rack might be better for local flying outings. I'm trying to decide, as I got a new '06 Toyota Tacoma (6 speed!) in November. I'm leaning toward the shelf method, and wondering if I can make a 2-layer deal, maybe put the models in racks on the shelf, made from 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe.   8)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 07:31:21 AM »
Dan, Randy (you da Man) & Steve
I shoulda known that the far North West would have all the right
answers and straighten out them Oreeegoinians  :D,
Randy, I remember yours from the Fall Follies but there's this memory
issue I need to deal with, (please insert cheeep shots here)
This looks like what I need and will proceed from here.  Thanks Gentlemen
how's that Steve?  See no mention of gangs, Ooooops

Snug Lines All

Marv

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:55:28 AM »
Marv,

Use 1" PVC. You get less flex than smaller diameter stuff. And I used some very spongy pipe insulation for padding that really worked quite well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 03:19:31 PM »
Randy,

Thanks for the pointers, thought you had mentioned the pipe size to me.  I am thinking that I would get the parts and see if I couldn't document one with pictures and a take off list for all to use.  One of the things I am considering is to make it so that  it can easily be disassembled for compact storage.  Perhaps some small hitch pins and keepers.  Any ideas you have sure would be welcome.  Oh could I borrow the "Toad" so I can get the size right?   ;D  ;D  ;D

Marv

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 09:36:08 PM »
Randy,

Thanks for the pointers, thought you had mentioned the pipe size to me.  I am thinking that I would get the parts and see if I couldn't document one with pictures and a take off list for all to use.  One of the things I am considering is to make it so that  it can easily be disassembled for compact storage.  Perhaps some small hitch pins and keepers.  Any ideas you have sure would be welcome.  Oh could I borrow the "Toad" so I can get the size right?   ;D  ;D  ;D

Marv

Hi Marv,
For most of the "joints" in PVC pipe and fittings, glue is not necessary unless you want it to not leak when using it as water lines.  They will grip tight with out glue for a long longf time and several dismantleings.  If you feel the need to make it real easy to take it apart and secure it together, you will have to do some sandimg on the ends of the pipe to make them slip in and out easily.  Then you can get the "hair pin" style hitch pins that will go through a drilled hole in the fitting/pipe end.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Oregon_Flyer

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 07:31:14 AM »
Bill,
Wow, Green stars a smite and applause feature.  Ohhh yes
about the rack (mind wandered after viewing those purty green
stars) I was thinking along those lines and from experience knew
that the 'ol pvc can sometimes seize  :-[