News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:35:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Top flite Tutor 1  (Read 10316 times)

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Top flite Tutor 1
« on: April 08, 2021, 06:10:42 PM »
Hi to all  Way back in the early 80s a popular profile kit in our club was the Top flite Tutor 1 Recently I got hold of an old set of plans for this plane I would like to build one just for old time sake but I do not have the rib patterns I was wondering if anyone out in stunt land has drawings of the ribs they can copy and send to me Thanks Len

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Top flite Tutor 1
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »
  Check with RSM distributing. I got a updated kit from Eric several years ago that he lengthened the tail moment an inch. The new owner should have the files and could laser cut the ribs for you, or cut a whole kit. I know I have a kit somewhere that was missing the ribs and some one on the forum here had a spare set of ribs  and I got them from him, but may take me a while to dig that out.
   Do a search on the forum Top Flite Tutor with out the number one. The original had no number. This has come up several time over the years and maybe some one has a digital file for them.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 07:37:06 PM »
Plans are on Outerzone:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11400

Only shows the tip rib and the root rib, but you should be no problem to work the rest out using the normal methods.

Mark

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Flying Control Line Stunt
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 08:22:33 PM »
Hi Len,

If you get a drawing of the ribs from someone I would like a copy also. I also have the plans from the kit.

Charles Carter

Sent from my U693CL using Tapatalk

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:19:11 PM »
   Tom Dixon makes a foam wing version called the Tutor Too. Tom has a profile version and a full fuselage version.
They come with a 599 sq in balsa sheeted foam wing.He recommends motors from .40 to .54.
                                    Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 11:21:59 PM »
Outer Zone also has a plan for Dave Hemstraught's Modified Tutor which he called Tutor Too Classic

Plan ID is 11442.

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 12:26:01 PM »
A full fuse Tutor clone, the Professor, was published in FM in the 80s or 90s.  Anyone know how close the Professor airfoil is to the original Tutor?

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 02:42:27 PM »
The Outer Zone free download plan shows both the root and the tip airfoils so creating the ribs by the stacking method would be easy. D>K
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 03:06:03 PM »
Here is a copy of the Top Flite plan. This is slightly different then the plans on the OuterZone site. The original was designed for a MonoKote film covering and had the outer panels planked with balsa to add torsional stiffness. Unfortunately the plan does not have the tip rip pattern.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 06:13:21 PM »
The original was designed for a MonoKote film covering and had the outer panels planked with balsa to add torsional stiffness. Unfortunately the plan does not have the tip rip pattern.

Best,   DennisT

I bought a Tutor kit years ago at a hobby shop for $24.95.  I always wondered why they sheeted the outer rib panel.  Now I know. 

Thanks, Dennis.

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 07:05:56 PM »
I bought a Tutor kit years ago at a hobby shop for $24.95.  I always wondered why they sheeted the outer rib panel.  Now I know. 

Thanks, Dennis.

Joe Ed Pederson

Hey Joe!

The Tutor wing is pretty stout, I think it uses 3/32" balsa for leading edge and center section sheeting. One thing it doesn't have is substantial wing tips, just flat tips. That sheeting out there gives the fledgling builder/stunt pilot some place to better stick the covering to, especially if it's monokote or another iron on covering.
    As Bruce Shipp points out, I di believe that the Professor as published in Flying Models did use the same wing as the Tutor. I'm not sure if i have a set of those plans or not. I do remember reading the article several times as it had some great building tips and such in it. The author's name escapes me right now but I think he was/is a protégé of Bob Hunt, and perhaps Bubba knows more.
     I still haven't dug up my kit, but hang in there!!
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 09:36:52 PM »
Hey guys thanks so much for all the advice A friend on stunt hangar has a kit and has offered to send me the tracings before the next building season Thanks again Len

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 12:15:45 AM »
April '92 Flying Models - Professor high aspect ratio by Mike Spedaliere.  53-1/2" span, .40 engine.

Anyone here have the issue?

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 06:10:27 PM »
Here is a set of rib patterns I made for both the Tutor (45") and the Tutor II (54").
They're generated based on the plans for the Tutor, not kit parts, so there may be some very minor differences.
(I use SolidWorks, generate a core wing shape, then slice the wing at the rib stations to generate the cross-sections.)

Enjoy! [Edit; removed the files - see later posts]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:12:14 PM by Keith Miller »

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 07:05:20 PM »
Hey Keith Thank you very much from all us Tutor lovers out there in stunt land. Len

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 07:01:42 AM »
Kieth, thanks for sharing those. Downloaded and printed for posterity.

I built a Tutor in 1981 and added an extra wing bay to each tip. Everything else was stock.   That wing was used in two more profiles , the last one built with an extended tail moment, larger tail and built like an Imitation; Full nose, RC mount and built up airfoiled stab.  It suffered from a grossly under built and flexible fuselage.

My first full fuse scratch build used the same extended Tutor wing design and the numbers from the Imitation styled profile and was powered by an ST 46.  St Louis guys may remember the green Skoal Bandit around 1983-84. Jim Hoffman and Randy Cuberly, that was the plane I flew the first time in Phoenix with you guys in 1987.  . I used too light of wood for the spars.  The first flight resulted in two audible pops and funky flying.  Note that the LE sheeting does not extend to the spar on the first two rib bays.  Both bottom spars broke under tension in the first open wing bay.  I was very lucky to survive that flight. Shear webs fixed the spar issue but it was still to flexible.

Ah, great memories of my start with a Tutor. An electric Tutor is on the not real short list.

Leonard, would you be so kind as to compare the kit tip rib with the tracings posted by Kieth and share if there are any significant differences?

Thanks you,

Bruce

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 07:47:48 AM »
Hi Bruce When I get the tracings from the kit later this year I will do that for you No problem Len

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 12:06:31 PM »
Hey guys thanks so much for all the advice A friend on stunt hangar has a kit and has offered to send me the tracings before the next building season Thanks again Len

If you do get the rib tracings from your friend,  please upload them to outerzone and have Steve or Mary add them to the online plans as an addendum.   Or email them to me and I’ll get it done. We need to preserve as many plans as possible for future modelers
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 03:48:42 PM »
Outer Zone also has a plan for Dave Hemstraught's Modified Tutor which he called Tutor Too Classic

Plan ID is 11442.

I built the modified one from the FM article.  Shorter tail moment, added rounded tips on the wings, rounded the vertical stab and replaced the solid stab/elevator with a built up unit.   Powered with a Fox .35 and it flew very, very well with no trimming.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 05:26:53 PM »
If you do get the rib tracings from your friend,  please upload them to outerzone and have Steve or Mary add them to the online plans as an addendum.   Or email them to me and I’ll get it done. We need to preserve as many plans as possible for future modelers

The rib outlines that Keith Miller posted would work for the outerzone plan, would it not? I'm surprised no one has drawn a plan for the Tutor -II as it seemed pretty popular, and no factory plans exists as far as I know. I think it would be neat to have a matching pair of the big and little one!!

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 07:06:58 PM »
Plans for the Professor.
Article and plans are available to download on Outerzone.
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10709

This could be a nice electric plane.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:02:14 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 07:15:40 PM »
George When I get the tracings I will send you a message I agree we need to keep as many control line planes alive as possible

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 06:35:14 AM »
Plans for the Professor.  I have the article as well, but it is too large to post.

This could be an excellent electric plane.

Is it possible to email the article?

Steve Berry

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 01:31:11 PM »
Everyone,
Just a quick update with the rib sketches and a couple of the parts from the kit I have on hand.  First off, modern kits are the way to go.  I have had some older kits with decent cutting but it is hard to beat a laser for the ribs.  In any case, what I found on the 2 ribs I looked at was that W-2 was almost a direct overlay to the files shared.  It seemed that the width (wing thickness) in front of the spar was a bit wider on the actual part than the PDF file.  W-4 looked to be a little wider in the front as compared to the PDF file and the rib was shorter as well.  While the shortness shows up well in the picture, the extra width (wing thickness forward of the spar) can be seen but is hard to gage.

I will continue to stare and compare as I go along.  This wing has built in formers on some ribs to allow it to be built on a flat surface so it may take some time for me to punch/cut these out and compare to the generated ribs.
John
John Paris

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 01:31:58 PM »
W-4 pic 1
John Paris

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
W-4 pic 2
John Paris

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 08:09:37 AM »
Hi John -  ;D
If you could compare my drawings with the tip rib from the kit, I'd love to incorporate that into my CAD model.
From that I could create a more accurate set of rib patterns.

My drawings are likely off because I created them by
1) measuring the root and tip rib lengths from a scan of the Tutor plans (likely has some inaccuracy just in print/scan/print skewing...)
2) measured my Tutor II actual tip thickness (125% of a Tutor) and scaled the tip rib accordingly.

If at all possible, if you could scan your W1 and W9, I could use those as true-scale patterns and generate the rest of the ribs.  ~>

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 06:44:50 PM »
Keith,
I should be able to do that.  Give me a day or two as both have the platforms built in for building on a flat surface.
John
John Paris

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 06:56:41 AM »
All,

I've got the kit - I'll copy the rib patterns and send them to you all.  My scanning and computer skills may slow me down.

I also saw that someone wanted a set of the Top Flite Hurricane stunter ribs - I'll draw those up as well and post.

<=
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 09:09:22 AM »
Thank you!

Charles Carter

Sent from my U693CL using Tapatalk

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 06:09:21 PM »
Root and tip ribs as scanned with a scale next to them.  Will get them all in at some point.  One of these includes the platforms used to build on a flat surface.
John
John Paris

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2021, 07:05:40 PM »
Root and tip ribs as scanned with a scale next to them.  Will get them all in at some point.  One of these includes the platforms used to build on a flat surface.
John

Look at that nice C grain on those ribs!! It seems like all the old Top Flite kits had good balsa in them. I wonder who was responsible for that at that time?? The ribs are 3/32" thick but even at 1'16" thick they would be plenty strong, and the model lighter. My memory of this airplane frame work is that it is a bit over built, but carries the weight well.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »
John, those scans are great! And the scale of the pdf came out spot-on when measuring your rule using Acrobat DC. /DV

I'll work on updating my CAD and see if a new set of generated rib templates will match your actuals.

Super!!!

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2021, 06:46:49 PM »
Len,
Please let me know if you need something beyond these set of file.  I can do the traces but these are the actual parts and to scale.  Please confirm the scale on each one to make sure there is no distortion.
John
John Paris

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2021, 06:48:30 PM »
The rest of the ribs....
John
John Paris

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 10:55:59 PM »
John et al -
Thanks for posting the Tutor rib scans!
From those (particularly W-1 and W-9), I re-generated what I hope to be a MUCH more accurate set of rib templates.
For those who might be interested, I include a short description of how I do this.
I'm very fortunate to have a 3D CAD program called SolidWorks - pretty cool tool!

At some point in the near future, I'll re-generate the Tutor II rib sets assuming a straight 125% scale factor.

John, if you have the opportunity, I'm very interested to see the results of you laying your kit ribs on top of this new pattern. I hope I got the patterns a lot closer than my first try!
For those building the Tutor, John's scans should produce really good patterns directly, as long as they're printed to a quality printer directly from Acrobat.

Enjoy :)  [Edit; removed the files - see later posts]

/DV
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:11:23 PM by Keith Miller »

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 07:36:44 AM »
John and Kieth, thank you both for taking the time to do this work and share it with Stunt Hangar. 

Keith, when I built my tutor I extended each wing one rib bay.  I used my high school drafting skills and drew the new tip rib myself.  Somewhere I still have the plywood rib template, but I haven’t had eyes on it in years.  Would it be possible using your cad file to draw a 10th rib that would fall in line with the stock ribs using the same rib spacing? 

Thank you.

Bruce

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2021, 12:11:02 PM »
Nice job Keith. You also gave a very good explanation of what and how you arrived at your final sketch. H^^

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 12:24:39 PM »
Great job Keith, thank you. Would it be too much to ask if you could post the rib patterns in .dxf format?  Folks with laser cutters or CNC equipment would appreciate it 
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2021, 12:47:09 PM »
Nice job Keith. You also gave a very good explanation of what and how you arrived at your final sketch. H^^

John Miller

Yeah, it's a long way from our high school basic drafting classes, isn't it!!??
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »
Great job Keith, thank you. Would it be too much to ask if you could post the rib patterns in .dxf format?  Folks with laser cutters or CNC equipment would appreciate it

Sure! Let me go through a few emails John sent to double check final shapes/dimensions, then I can run a dxf export.

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 02:52:28 PM »
John and Kieth, thank you both for taking the time to do this work and share it with Stunt Hangar. 

Keith, when I built my tutor I extended each wing one rib bay.  I used my high school drafting skills and drew the new tip rib myself.  Somewhere I still have the plywood rib template, but I haven’t had eyes on it in years.  Would it be possible using your cad file to draw a 10th rib that would fall in line with the stock ribs using the same rib spacing? 

Thank you.

Bruce

Hi Bruce -
I'll work that next week after I'm sure my patterns check out; John's helping to QA the sketches...
Remind me if you don't hear something by Wed.

Offline Gregory Hammond

• Ensign
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2021, 07:02:31 AM »
Thanks everyone for the ribs!

You guys are awesome!!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 08:27:30 AM »
   Look at all those ribs but no sauce or cole slaw!! Just couldn't resist!

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2021, 11:04:18 AM »
Thanks guys The ribs are awesome Great job. Len

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2021, 08:08:08 PM »
John and I shared several emails to nail down a good set of ribs that should very closely replicate the Top Flight kit ribs.
John scanned and measured actual ribs and very carefully made measurements of the actual kit plans.

With that, I present a new set of ribs in both pdf and dxf format. (get rid of any previous ones you saved  LL~.

I still owe Bruce an extended with out to W10; I'll have to see how that works.

Then I'll try to update the Tutor II rib set I made a few years ago, which might be a very simple 120% CAD translation, but if you're into CAD, that's not always just a button-push. <=

Enjoy! (coming in two separate posts....)

Keefer

/DV

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2021, 08:08:52 PM »
and the rest of the files....

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »
Hi Len, I rescued one of these from the trash heap as a friend of mine was about to burn it! I really loved that lane. I smashed and rebuilt it no less than three times! I did add a tripler to the nose and also leather fillets to both inside and outside fuselage joints. I covered with iron on film and called it Stick Buns! When it finally died I had over 600 patterns on it mostly with a Brodak .40 engine. Really a fun plane to enjoy!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2021, 07:27:29 PM »

Thank you.

Bruce

Bruce, here you go! An Extended Tutor rib set.
This set has an added 10th rib (W10 as the tip) by adding one standard bay at 2.75". Originally, W9 (tip) was 2.6" from W8, but now W9 is 2.75" from W8, and W10 (new tip) is 2.6 " from W9.

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2021, 09:07:07 PM »
Thank you so much.  It is greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Advertise Here
Tags: tutor too 

Advertise Here