News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Top flite Tutor 1  (Read 13004 times)

Offline Leonard Bourel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Re: Top flite Tutor 1
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2021, 05:51:43 PM »
Hey Phill I am glad to hear another story about a Tutor that had a long life It sounds like you had a lot of fun with yours I am excited to get one built that Naomi and I can both fly as a Knock around plane to fly just for fun Great for those calm summer evenings after dinner Maybe an LA 25 for power if I can keep it light. Len

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2021, 06:36:20 AM »
What are Top Flite's kit numbers for the Tudor and Tudor II?

I got some rib sheets from a Top Flite kit #14.  I still don't know for sure what they're for.  They seem to be for some sort of CL aerobatic device.

Paul Smith

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »
What are Top Flite's kit numbers for the Tudor and Tudor II?

I got some rib sheets from a Top Flite kit #14.  I still don't know for sure what they're for.  They seem to be for some sort of CL aerobatic device.

The N-14 is the original Tutor kit. The Tutor-II was an ARF offering, and as far as I know, was never a kit or plans made available. It would be nice to see a set of plans drawn up for the design as Top Flite/Tower Hobbies dropped it several years ago. I think it was a pretty decent model, but had some issues with the punkish fuselage similar to the Flite Streak ARF that was out at the same time.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

PS To add;   This just triggered a memory on this subject, so I went through my messages, and it was about this time last year that You asked this same question and we figured it out. I got a rib set from you at the time to put in a kit that I have that was missing them. So the question is, do you have more than that one set? And you may be forgetting that you sent those t me and you don't have them any more??
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »
As a side note, in the full page ad for the Tutor back in the 70's, it was touted as a profile Gesieke Nobler. While I was stationed at Memphis NATTC, several of the students, upon graduation, sold me their Tutors less engine and tank.  I gave them to my son and we flew the heck out of them behind the house in a big lot. Now there is a storage center there.  D>K

I know we have covered this all in recent history but I'll be damned if I can find the thread. A search turns up a lot of stuff on the Tutor but now what I'm pretty sure has been posted, and it may be of some interest to those want to build one.

The kit was announced in the October 1979 issue of Model Aviation magazine with a full page add on page 3 I believe. There is also a review of the kit in that same issue. The add mentions that it is "patterned after Top Flite's Nobler" but is only 45" span and the Nobler is 50". I think Top Flite just said this to help sell kits, as it is much different from the green box Nobler. No mention of the Gieseke Nobler as I don't think they had released that kit yet but very close to that same time period. I just checked out the magazine to look this up.

Jim Armor did an article of the Tutor with some dress up modifications that make it a real eye catcher. That is the article that I think would really add to the discussion. I was thinking Flying Models but a search here turned up a mention in one of Ted Fancher's Model Aviation columns, but it doesn't give the issue. Had to be in 1980 or later

Last year there was a thread on profile model rules and the Tutor was discussed again;
  https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/profile-rules-58087/msg600171/#msg600171

If anyone else has any info on published stuff please add it here. It would be good to have all the info in one place and some good key word usage will make it easy to find in a search. The airplane is a good one but really is not a typical kit in it's design. The wood is thicker in some places most are not used to and if you go messing around too much with wood sizes you will change the airfoil some and that may not be desired. From the level of interest I think it would behoove some one to kit it in at least a short kit with ribs and a good set of plans. RSM did have a kit in their files but you had to ask  for it. Eric may see this and fill us in.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags: tutor too 

Advertise Here