News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Event Director’s Observations – 2017 NATs  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Event Director’s Observations – 2017 NATs
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »
The 2017 NATs is in the books.  I want to thank all the workers and the flyers for making this a very good event.  The AMA field maintenance crew was very helpful and answered every need we called them on.  I received MANY compliments from the flyers who enjoyed the event.  We had some problems with weather but everyone was understanding & supportive and we made the best of it. It was my great honor to “take the bows” for a fabulous team of workers.  Here’s a few comments along the way:

Monday night Pilots meeting lasted about 45 minutes and Appearance Judging was complete when we were.  One change I wanted to implement this year was to award the Concours Trophy before we left the building.  While we were having the pilot’s meeting Will Hinton and his crew placed all the airplanes and scored them.  The Concours voting took a little longer than I had hoped but still, most of the people stayed and saw Derek Barry earn the award for his truly beautiful Cutlass.  Another side note, Bruce Jennings scored 17 points for his truly fabulous Cobra, that may be the highest(?) ever achieved by a Monocoted entry.  The suggestion was made, to award the Concours on Wednesday Morning at the field before the first flight goes up.  I leave that on the table for next year’s Event Director.

When Jeff Traxler arrived to check out the Pull test scales he determined that between the two of them exactly ONE LED would light.  He cleaned the corrosion out of the battery boxes and Terry Bentley drove up & down McGalliard road finding the 40 (!!!) L-44 cells needed.  Flyers are now advised to wear their sunglasses & sunscreen when pull testing, to preempt an LED burn!

Doug & Kathleen Patterson did an excellent job running Classic, Old Time, and the new Nostalgia 30 event on the L-Pad.  They used all four circles to get it done faster and that worked well too.  However, Doug and I recommend trying to move the events back to the grass circles next year with the L-pad as a contingency in case of wet grounds.  We need to consider getting a perpetual trophy for Nos-30 similar to what Classic & OTS have.  I’m thinking a plaque with lots of name plates – something easier to handle & transport than the other perpetuals.

We had 3 significant weather delays.  On Thursday, we got a big thunderstorm that was predicted for 2pm – it arrived just before noon but we cleared the circles just in time.  The storm looked pretty nasty; instead of having people hanging around I told them to get some lunch and come back at 3pm, figuring that we would know better what was happening.  The storm abated a little before 2 but it was pretty breezy.  A couple volunteers manned squeegees to clear up one big puddle in the pit for circles 1-2.  The breeze and some sunshine dried up the circles by our 3pm restart. The Advanced circles and 1 Open circle had completed, the 2nd rounds of 3 other open circles had not begun.   MANY pilots decided to pass between 2pm-3pm, however as Dave Trible noted in his thread, by the time we started flying it was quite manageable and by the time we finished it was near ideal conditions.  I think a lot of pilots are probably second guessing their decision to pass Round 2.

On Friday, we woke up to another storm that was not part of the previous evening’s forecast. It was a big one that blew down several tents, included the big canopy they had over by the Pylon area.  Based on the weather radar I called for a 3-hour delay of the start until 11AM.  Rain stopped a little before 10 and we had practice flights going up around 10:15. By 11am the circles were in pretty good shape and we had good conditions for the rest of that day.  A note for the future events: PAMPA will be bringing a new website online soon.  It will be capable of live updates, future Event Directors will also be able to get the word out quickly when things like weather delays happen.  It would have been great to have that utility as we made the call after many had left their hotels only to turn around and go back to wait it out. It took a while to spread the word via phone calls & text but it worked out pretty well.

Forecast for Saturday was awful, with 80% chance of rain all morning until 2PM.  Late Friday, the forecast improved slightly to look like we might have a window from 8-10 or so, but we woke up (6am) to heavy rain and lots of wind - which stopped before 7am.  We decided to forego the warm-up flights and had our first official flights up by 7:45. Circles were still wet and a little slippery for most of rounds 1-2 but got better with time.  We finished well within our window.

The threat of rain had abated but the wind was coming up. For the Walker Cup, we (the Champions & I) settled on a 1-round contest.  Joining our Open Champion, David Fitzgerald, were our Junior Champion, Steve Daly and Senior Champion, Samantha Hines who acquitted themselves with great poise. David had Steven join him in the circle with him during his Walker flight and said the two of them carried on a lively conversation.

With that we concluded our events and it is time to start thinking about the future.  I will make a separate post on what I know about 2018 NATs planning so far.

THANKS to Chris Rud for the live score update page.  That will be a capability on the upcoming new PAMPA website.  Future Event Directors will be faced with the challenge of somehow sequestering it from their Judges view.

I also enjoyed reading Dave Trible’s updates posted on SH.  Dave has been doing this at the NATs & Team Trials for a few years and it always makes for a great read.

Finally, I want to single out John Paris for his heroic work running the NATs program and working through the few minor hiccups we had during the week.  Another big thank you to all of our workers and pilots who came together to make this another special event.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
Re: Event Director’s Observations – 2017 NATs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
Denny, sir

Decades ago I attended a NATs that happened to be near one of my Army career postings...Fort Eustice VA---In that case, some time in 1988 to 1990 at Oceania NAS, or some Norfolk Virginia area defunct Navy airfield (seriously do not remember the venue but it was in the Norfolk Virginia beach area).
A very well advertised event on the news and in the LHS's
Son and I spent two days in awe of all we were seeing..for free

Later in my adult life, I have been very involved in helping, running, or managing some rather large events*...thus I have a fair understanding of the effort and time (usually uncompensated) to do a adequate to good, or even superb job.

I understand from you posts that this is your last year to do this hard work...I also get the idea YOU were very very good at this and the other things you do for ALL of us

I am a non competitor sport only control line guy---- but want to thank you sincerely for all you have done....not only for the PAMPA and NATs  efforts, but the grand amount of opinion and insights I have read on the various forums

So ---Thank you sir!

and PS don't bother with the Sacred cows.... Texas Beef is so much better

*Just one of about 5 examples;
US ARMY 7th Corps team(s) coordinator (( a lot of Brigade and Battalion teams))---for the 4 day Nijmeghen march--largest multiple day marching event in the world. It is organised every year in Nijmegen, Netherlands in mid-July as a means of promoting sport and exercise. The logistics, meetings, coordination, and management of each USAREUR team made for a very long year as this was an additional duty tacked on to my normal E-8 First Sergeants daily duties.
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »
Thank you for your two years of hard work Dennis. I will keep my eyes and ears open for the next ED..... Not me!

Derek

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:35:53 PM »
Dennis,

Ben and I thank you for your (and John's) hard work the past 2 years.  I thought they ran very smoothly.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
Dennis,

You and John did an excellent job. Thank you both for your dedication to the event.

Mike

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
     Dennis, I also thought you and John did an outstanding job in running a very smooth NAT'S. We will miss your leadership and personality. Both you and John are some of the really great and good guys of our sport. As we say in S. LA., " tank ya'll too much!"
    Doug 

Offline Kim Doherty

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
My wife said " I'm sending you to Muncie! (who was I to argue?)

I don't get to "observe" many contests since I am normally flying in them. As strictly an observer, I saw pull tests being completed well before each flight, contestants moving on and off the circles with a good deal of urgency, I saw judges making swift work of their not so easy task,  I saw score sheets being picked up as fast the last mark was made, and I saw marks being tabulated and posted with great speed and precision.

I also saw Dennis in constant motion dealing with what must be a very broad range of questions and issues. Where ever I was standing I was always aware that Dennis was nearby doing something. The contest to my eyes ran very well. That is the direct result of the efforts by the ED.

If there was one comment it would be that the available broadcast mediums available to all attending such as the internet were not used to announce changes in schedules. On Friday morning, Mike Palko was kind enough to post on SH that the start time would not be until 11:00 a.m. I was staying in Anderson and this stopped me from making a round trip for nothing. It would have been even more beneficial on Saturday morning when events got underway early (much earlier than had been discussed on Friday evening.

As to the weather, I think (IMHO) that in the face of significant weather systems threatening large portions of the schedule that the backup plan should include any time available on any of the contest days. I.E. The weather for Saturday could have been terrible all day. The weather on Friday afternoon and evening was stunt heaven. All the necessary people are there and with a good break after Top 20 the finals could have been completed with little extra effort. If the weather does not cooperate on Saturday you run the risk of loosing critical people and or causing unnecessary hardship for volunteers and competitors alike. Note: not a complaint (because we did get decent weather Saturday morning.)just an observation.

In summation: Dennis and his staff did a very good job!!

Kim.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:52:35 PM by Kim Doherty »

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »
     There will be better communication in future NAT's I'm sure. However, info on the bad weather days was gotten out pretty well. The decisions made to go a head with a Sat. fly-off was thoroughly reviewed in the light of weather forecasts Fri. night and real time viewing of very early Sat. morning weather conditions by Dennis. There was a two plus hour window to complete all  flights Sat. morning before weather conditions got bad again. As it happened the good weather conditions held out much longer (4+hrs.) The guys had some really good steady gentle winds to fly in. The judges generally stayed very close to where they were spotted by the fliers.
     Someone did suggest doing the Final Five after Top 20 scores were posted. I think the decision to keep the Fly-off on Sat. was the right move.  The judges had been judging 36-40 flights a day on Wed. and Thurs, and 20 flights Fri. To do another 15 flights after starting late at 11:00 AM would have been a load for them and even more so for the pilots. Some of the judges had also judged Beginner, Intermediate, CLASSIC/N-30, and OTS earlier in the week . They needed the rest so they could be fresh Sat. morning to give their best . Even more so, in my opinion, the competitors needed to rest and recuperate and check their equipment, so they could give their best effort Sat. morning. All in all it was a wise and educated guess by Dennis to go and complete the finals on Sat. Thanks also to his support group who aided in his decision.
      DOUG           

Online Joseph Daly

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
Dennis and John,
Thank you very much for running this years NATS. I would also like to thank all of those who volunteered to help make this years NATS run very professional. Excellent Job!!!

Thanks Again
Joe

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here