Author Topic: EAA  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
EAA
« on: December 03, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »
I just got invite to join EAA, with $10 discount cost is $30, and includes Sport Aviation magazine ( i bet no articles about quads!)  Even w/o the discount the dues sounds like good deal compared to AMA, even considering the Senior discount. Wondering how many here on the Stunt Hanger also belong to EAA? Would be nice if we can get EAA to adopt the controline guys so we can have alternative to AMA!
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: EAA
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »
You should appreciate the benefits of AMA we all enjoy.

Where do you think Control Line would stack up on the totem pole with REAL airplane owners?
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
EAA has nothing to do with CL or R/C modeling.

It's all about the design and building of Experimental Aircraft.

Last I knew.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
I am an Eaa member.  it is a great deal compared to AMA. 

The solid works cad system license is a great benefit.

Friday I am driving up to hear Joe Engle, the space shuttle and  x-15 pilot talk.   

One thing about EAA they are inclusive, and reward their volunteers nicely.  They unify not divide.

EAA leans heavily on their volunteers.     Ama is more like a purchased service and we bitch about it. 

They find a way to get the cub guys to get along with the war birds and jet guys.  They run each as its own division, and gives them a lot of space to work. 
While there is a little infighting it isn't like AMA.  If they took over modeling, they would do it right.

EAA is working pretty hard and effectively to integrate UAV into the national airspace, and unlike AMA getting somewhere. 

So I get more out of my EAA membership than my AMA membership. 

Oh yes Sean Elliot VP of Advocate and Safety  is a fromer Jr Nats competitor and stated control line at EAA Kidventure.     

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 06:46:25 PM »
I just got invite to join EAA, with $10 discount cost is $30, and includes Sport Aviation magazine ( i bet no articles about quads!)

Go to the EAA site and put "drone" in the search box, the EAA loves them.

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »

Where do you think Control Line would stack up on the totem pole with REAL airplane owners?

I was a REAL airplane owner for years.

It never interfered with my modeling. Why should it.

It was MODELERS that interfered with my modeling.  LL~ LL~ LL~
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:03:34 PM »
I joined EAA in late 1972, when I began building a Rand KR-1.  I eagerly awaited each issue of Sport Aviation , especially the October (Oshkosh) issue. Every year there were new designs and adventurous builds. I loved them all. Most articles covered design and building techniques and their roles in the new homebuilts featured in each issue. We got to watch Steve Whitman, John Thorp, Burt Rutan, John Dyke, Pete Bowers, Richard Vangrunsven, Christoph Heinz, and many others develop their ideas and watched as their planes took flight. EAA helped me a lot with my own homebuilt project, educating me in building techniques and how to deal with FAA and inspections. I devoured past issues of Sport Aviation to learn about materials and tools. As time went on, EAA became a powerful advocate for general aviation and those who loved flight outside the corporate ranks. They still do this job admirably. However, with the advent of composite kits and aging of the original EAAers came something much akin to what has happened to much of R/C. Those modern composite "homebuilt" kits really press the limits of the 51% building rule. So while the modern homebuilt aircraft often surpasses equivalent factory craft by large amounts in performance, there is diminished building/designing adventure compared to what we saw for decades, and the magazine reflects this. Large photos have replaced some of the informative text of earlier times. It is still filled with good information, but...well, not as much for the grass-roots builder/flier. After 46+ years, I finally  skipped renewing my membership. I have reluctantly given up my earlier dreams of flight in my own plane and don't see my interests reflected much in SA anymore.

Well, those are my musings, although I still recommend EAA as a great organization with a caring staff. 

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »
When I had my ultra-lite airplane I was an EAA member

I was also a Ford Truck guy and EAA has a partnership program with Ford to get members a Ford "Friends and Family" PIN that allows a vehicle to be bought at a fairly good discount==== and most dealers will even allow most or all of the other incentives for that make and model at time of purchase

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »
Go to the EAA site and put "drone" in the search box, the EAA loves them.

See that is where you are wrong.  The EAA just looks to drones as another to fly. 

The AMA puts drones above other activities and that is a problem everyone that doesn't fly drones. 
The EAA acknowledges them, and want to figure out a system where all are whole.  The EAA isn't putting drones ahead of Home Buits or War birds. There is enough space here for everyone.     

They have a pretty good track record here.  Look what they did working with the FAA on medical issues, auto gas use and ultra lights. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »
I joined EAA in late 1972, when I began building a Rand KR-1.  I eagerly awaited each issue of Sport Aviation , especially the October (Oshkosh) issue. Every year there were new designs and adventurous builds. I loved them all. Most articles covered design and building techniques and their roles in the new homebuilts featured in each issue. We got to watch Steve Whitman, John Thorp, Burt Rutan, John Dyke, Pete Bowers, Richard Vangrunsven, Christoph Heinz, and many others develop their ideas and watched as their planes took flight. EAA helped me a lot with my own homebuilt project, educating me in building techniques and how to deal with FAA and inspections. I devoured past issues of Sport Aviation to learn about materials and tools. As time went on, EAA became a powerful advocate for general aviation and those who loved flight outside the corporate ranks. They still do this job admirably. However, with the advent of composite kits and aging of the original EAAers came something much akin to what has happened to much of R/C. Those modern composite "homebuilt" kits really press the limits of the 51% building rule. So while the modern homebuilt aircraft often surpasses equivalent factory craft by large amounts in performance, there is diminished building/designing adventure compared to what we saw for decades, and the magazine reflects this. Large photos have replaced some of the informative text of earlier times. It is still filled with good information, but...well, not as much for the grass-roots builder/flier. After 46+ years, I finally  skipped renewing my membership. I have reluctantly given up my earlier dreams of flight in my own plane and don't see my interests reflected much in SA anymore.

Well, those are my musings, although I still recommend EAA as a great organization with a caring staff.

Serge,

Did you ever get that home built completed?

CB

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »
See that is where you are wrong.  The EAA just looks to drones as another to fly. 

The AMA puts drones above other activities and that is a problem everyone that doesn't fly drones. 
The EAA acknowledges them, and want to figure out a system where all are whole.  The EAA isn't putting drones ahead of Home Buits or War birds. There is enough space here for everyone.     

They have a pretty good track record here.  Look what they did working with the FAA on medical issues, auto gas use and ultra lights.

You might go back and review Reply #4 above Dave. My reply was in simple response to Lyles comment, "i bet no articles about quads!", hence the use of his quote. Also, I never said EAA is putting drones ahead of or behind anything, I just said that they love them.

As we all know there has been a ton of debate and arguing about drones and quads on this forum. It's been a terribly over beaten topic and I hate the d--m things, but that's just my opinion. What I especially don't like about them is the potential liabilities of them being included under the same umbrella as our Model Aviation and/or General Aviation interests. I just say let the drone folks go play their own games, under their own regs, and not add any risks of us being able to continue with ours.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »

There's more to it than that Dave, just like with the AMA it's all about MONEY. The EAA is a great organization, but they have also been gradually forgetting about their roots and becoming more and more money hungry all the time. Toward the end, the Association losing touch with the original concept of EAA was a concern of Paul P. himself.

Wayne Willey

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »
There's more to it than that Dave, just like with the AMA it's all about MONEY. The EAA is a great organization, but they have also been gradually forgetting about their roots and becoming more and more money hungry all the time. Toward the end, the Association losing touch with the original concept of EAA was a concern of Paul P. himself.
I am sitting in the eagle hanger with about 500 people on a Friday night to hear astronaut Joe Engle speak hardly an org that lost its way.   They support the bug smashers and big guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:14 PM »

Funny you should mention that.

Anyone who has attended Airventure consistently over the years would notice a significant increase in the AMA's footprint, as well as the addition of a "Drone Cage" near the flightline and marked areas at Pioneer Field for flying after hours (though very poorly regulated).  It seems that EAA has realized that full-size aviation is inherently expensive and out of the reach of most people, but aeromodeling (if you want to call multi-rotors as such) is a good way to bridge the gap for reaching kids and "planting the seed" so to speak.

How that relationship will help either party is anyone's guess...

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »
Serge,

Did you ever get that home built completed?

CB

Unfortunately not, Charles. When I got my FAA trade from Memphis Center to Cleveland ARCC, I bought a lake cottage (one of the photos) and could not get the porch area winterized in time, while I rebuilt the cottage innards. So I sold the project to someone in Akron, but never heard from them. I assume that it wasn't completed, which is a shame, because the Birmingham (AL) FAA inspectors had called it the best workmanship they'd seen. I don't think it could have survived the lake-shore winter. That was back in 1975.

I enjoyed my EAA membership for many years thereafter though, for a long time thinking that I'd build my own design, based on what I'd learned. I should point out that EAA's Sport Aviation - after model building - was the starting point for my self-education in structure and aerodynamics. They covered some theory and a hell of a lot of practical applications. I'd like to find an appreciative home for my (almost) complete set of Sport Aviation magazines from my years of membership.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 03:11:25 PM »
Well, I was trying to stay out of this one, but I guess I'm just too weak.  I've only been an EAA member since 1990, but even I've seen it go down hill for the average member.  Your example of the meeting at the Eagle Hangar just re-enforces the HQ-centric attitude of the EAA.  How many EAA members ever have a chance to attend these speakers?  Yes, it's nice that there's an EAA Museum, but that in no way helps the little guy get in the air.  Only people local to EAA HQ can reap the benefits of all those increasing dues.  I remember back, what?, four or five years ago when the EAA said that they were going to start regularly putting articles in Sport Aviation to help people build and fly more inexpensively.  I was quite excited when I read that in the Editor’s column.  That lasted maybe three or four issues over a year’s time.  Never seen anything about it since.  The one example they had was a guy who build a plane for under $15K.  How did he do it?  He had guys at the airport he was based at that gave him a bunch of parts for free, and other parts for prices well below what any first time builder would have been able to get.  The only way someone could have repeated the guy’s build was to have been networking in the aviation community for a score years.  And, again, that lasted only three or four issues.  Even the EAA editors couldn’t keep it going with all the resources they had available.  And I don’t believe that with all the knowledge and resources available to them, the EAA is unable to put out a simple wood or aluminum tube and fabric design that could be built easily for under 10K.  Think about the articles that they used to collaborate on in Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated.  It’s just that low and slow, simple single-seat or two-seater planes don’t fit into the EAA management’s self-image anymore.  Wayne was right when he pointed out that Paul Poberezny was so concerned about how out of touch the EAA had gotten that he tried to start up (re-start) the Sport Aviation Association to get back to the EAA’s original purpose.

Sorry, I don't mean to seem to rant, but I feel more left out by the EAA than I do by the AMA.  I only keep my EAA membership because it's required to be a member of my local EAA Chapter.  Just like I keep my AMA because it's required by my local club.

As for my bona fides, I am currently finishing my second QC Challenger II. I have restored a Murphy Renegade and a 1965 Citabria.

Mark

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 03:28:51 PM »

The solid works cad system license is a great benefit.

I was EAA member quite a while back.  Never heard of this benefit, can you explain what it is ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »

EAA is pretty good at cutting deals.  For your membership, at least the last 2 years, you get a student license for solid works.  Ans some other aircraft specific files. 

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

Also access to training and free certification tests.  The student version seems plenty powerful for my use .
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here