News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:21:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Smiley September 11, 1943 - February 19, 2022  (Read 1361 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tom Smiley September 11, 1943 - February 19, 2022
« on: February 24, 2022, 12:28:57 PM »
Tom Smiley passed away February 19, 2022.  Tom was a member of the North Alabama Control line Club (NACA) and was indeed club president in years past. I was Vice-president at the time.  Through Tom's hard work we were able to work a deal with the City of Huntsville Board of education for the use of the Milton Frank football stadium's parking lot for a control line flying sight.  Tom even got the city to paint flying circles on the parking lot.  Tom was active in the club even after he was no longer president until bad health prevented him from coming to the meetings. Tom passed his love of model building on to his son and grandsons.  His Grand son Matthew Smiley still attends NACA meetings.  Last summer Matthew put in a bunch of flights on my 576 Ringmaster.  My 576 Ringmaster is equipped with a RC throttle and Matthew made repeated smooth landings.

You of the Stunt Hanger world may have met Tom at the Brodak fly-in.  He attended many years in a row.

Here is the link to tom's obituary.  https://www.hamptoncovefuneralhome.com/obituary/Thomas-Smiley

Tom was a good friend.  He did a lot for our NACA club.  He will be missed.

John Rist.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 02:42:25 PM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tom Smiley September 11, 1943 - February 19, 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 02:09:16 PM »
Nice guy...met him at Brodak...
Appropriate name.
RIP

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tom Smiley September 11, 1943 - February 19, 2022
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 07:06:34 PM »
First met Tom in the mid 1960's, I think he was living in Dayton or Cincinnati at the time.  When the Goodyear event started he built/raced a Long Midget, out of the magazine plans, powered with a Super Tigre Diesel...
 Did not see him for a very long time until we met again at Brodak.

Indeed his name was accurate, all my memories of him are pleasant.  So sorry for our collective loss, prayers for his family and close friends in their time of grief.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here