News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Morris takeapart system  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Steve Bakac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Tom Morris takeapart system
« on: November 05, 2017, 03:47:37 AM »
Hi just wondering if anyone knows if Tom is still making the tube takeapart system anymore as they are not shown on his web sight
Cheers Steve

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Tom Morris takeapart system
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »
Steve,

Last I heard Tom was not. However, he may have one or two hanging around. Might be worth just giving Tom a call.

at: 256-820-1983.

Good luck!

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
Glue joints have failed on those wing connectors. Use a single-piece alternative.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »
Ok thanks for the advice guys I'll come up with something else to use
cheers steve

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »
Check with Chris Rudd, he is making it for Samantha new plane.   
Steve

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 05:05:49 AM »
Steve,
You may also want to look at Paul Walker's Impact article, his approach was to remove the whole wing and tail feathers. I have used this and it works well, just align as you build and allow for paint between the bolted connections.

Best,   DennisT

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 05:30:19 AM »
This might depend on the purpose of making it take apart.  If it is to transport on an airliner this method no longer breaks it down small enough to meet currents regs.  The wings have to come apart.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
Hi just wondering if anyone knows if Tom is still making the tube takeapart system anymore as they are not shown on his web sight
Cheers Steve

Bucky, have you checked Herbie Hanna?

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 12:56:13 AM »
Dave.  This is only a local rule for USA domestic travel.

I know this because when going international the planes (oversized cargo)  get taken on a different plane. This is how much luggage gets lost for fliers. 

It sucks if your in the USA because you cant really go domestic then international with a large item unless you depart from an international terminal.

Steve..  give Herb a dingle on the dog and bone
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Steve Bakac

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 04:15:12 AM »
Thank guys herbs is on to it helping me out
Cheers

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
This might depend on the purpose of making it take apart.  If it is to transport on an airliner this method no longer breaks it down small enough to meet currents regs.  The wings have to come apart.

Dave

Do the airlines no longer take  golf club flight bags ??   those are about 60 inches long and will hold many  wings, not to mention caskets

Randy

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
Randy I don’t know the answer to those questions though I’m sure there are special provision for caskets. Years ago I recall people bringing snow skis on board but haven’t seen that in a while.  I flew to the Pasco Nats with a one piece airplane in a crate with a minimal extra charge.  But  today all the airlines have a spec to say height + width+ length to max of 60”.  That’s about the total dimensions of a standard suitcase.  When considering this I had thought about boxing all but wing and carrying that on my lap as carry on....that, literally might not fly.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »
Here is what came up on Google.

What is the biggest bag you can check on a plane?
The maximum number of linear inches on a checked bag for most airlines is 62 inches. This means that when you add up the length, width and height of the luggage you intend to check, it should not be more than 62 inches. Most standard suitcases, garment bags and duffel bags measure 62 linear inches or less.

I've been flying to Muncie and back for the last five years.  They always look inside the box and are not always careful.  I haven't seen them measure my travel box but it is within a half inch of being exactly 62".  The controlling dimension (for me) is the length of the fuselage, and it fits diagonally in the box.  Wings are about 28" and will fit with the flaps. 

As far as I know you can check larger items for a phenomenal fee.
Mike

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »
In a discussion with Kaz a while back he was thinking about breaking the wing at about the outboard half span outside the landing gear.  That could make dealing with everything going on in the center section much easier.  Then the wing could detach like the early Impact did.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »
In a discussion with Kaz a while back he was thinking about breaking the wing at about the outboard half span outside the landing gear.  That could make dealing with everything going on in the center section much easier.  Then the wing could detach like the early Impact did.

That was the plan that Ted Fancher came up with, and I think it is a potential winner. The difference is that you left the wing attached to the fuse, leaving you with a 2'x4'1' box, more or less. The key is that it greatly reduces the load on the wing hardware.

Brett

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 08:21:19 PM »
With a fuse mounted gear design you could move the wing panels split point a little closer to the fuse.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 09:32:23 PM »
Randy I don’t know the answer to those questions though I’m sure there are special provision for caskets. Years ago I recall people bringing snow skis on board but haven’t seen that in a while.  I flew to the Pasco Nats with a one piece airplane in a crate with a minimal extra charge.  But  today all the airlines have a spec to say height + width+ length to max of 60”.  That’s about the total dimensions of a standard suitcase.  When considering this I had thought about boxing all but wing and carrying that on my lap as carry on....that, literally might not fly.

Dave

Well maybe we will  find out for sure, but if so then there are no  GOLFERs  flying, and  NO skiers  either, not to mention  the  1000s  of  Instrument  flight boxes that are over the  60 inch spec, all of these  are  over  60 inches

I think you will find, they are still  taking  ALL these  large  boxes, just sometimes  charge for them and  sometimes  NOT

Randy

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
A 2' x 4' x 1' box has a linear dimension of 80".  My model travel box is 14" x 9" x 38.5" and everything just barely fits.  There are lots of ideas out there but until you do it they are just that, ideas.  It ain't that easy.  The Yatsenko system is probably the best as it breaks the fuselage into two pieces.  That's the way Kaz's Hellcat comes apart but you have to look real close to see the split lines.  Kaz brought his Blue Max to the NATS a couple of year's ago it was in a bigger box and it cost him a lot of yen.

I'm building a model now with a fatter fuselage, it will have a fuselage separation similar to the Yatsenko set up.  The wings will disassemble with Paul Walker's version of the system that Tom is or was selling. 
Mike

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 05:59:47 AM »
The whole issue sure makes a smaller .40 size airplane look attractive for travel purposes.  I’m looking at two boxes and just paying an extra baggage fee or two.  Either that or you send your plane ahead weeks before as freight and learn to fly it again once you arrive.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 06:13:10 AM »
    That was the plan that Ted Fancher came up with, and I think it is a potential winner. The difference is that you left the wing attached to the fuse, leaving you with a 2'x4'1' box, more or less. The key is that it greatly reduces the load on the wing hardware.

Brett

Agree

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here