News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To Velcro, or not to Velcro. That is the question  (Read 684 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
To Velcro, or not to Velcro. That is the question
« on: December 23, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
I see advice of ye learned colleagues.

Scale plane. No stunts. (Hopefully).  Metal fuel tank that will sit on a flat balsa platform, inside a compartment with a removable top for access. I was debating how to secure it inside a limited space. Velcro came to mind. Vibration should be bother it. Might even survive a inadvertent nose over at landing.

Thoughts?

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: To Velcro, or not to Velcro. That is the question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 05:28:01 PM »

Scale plane. No stunts. (Hopefully).  Metal fuel tank that will sit on a flat balsa platform, inside a compartment with a removable top for access. I was debating how to secure it inside a limited space. Velcro came to mind. Vibration should be bother it. Might even survive a inadvertent nose over at landing.

Uncle Jimby uses velcro for his tanks, and for his electric batteries, with straps (not flat pieces).

Brett

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 05:52:05 PM »
I have a Cardinal that has the tank mounted with Velcro, It is backed up with one rubber band which presses the tank against the velcro which removes the wobbling.
Velcro has a great benefit easily allowing vertical tank adjustment on profile fuselages if motor speed varies from up right to inverted flight.
Al Takatsch

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 06:16:40 PM »
Gary,
I have used Velcro straps for electric batteries on several ships. I have used zip ties for fuel tanks, same basic approach. The way I do it is to cut 1/8" groves around the motor mounts that allow me to slip the zips around and under the mounts, closing over top of the tank. You would do the same thing with the Velcro straps. If you are using a metal tank you could use some magnets as long as it has a secure tank box.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 06:25:33 PM »
I use zip ties on profiles; on my (two!) big stunters so far I wedge the tank in with foam.  I'm willing to believe that velcro will work -- but I think I'll keep on using what I use!

If you do use zip ties, you don't want to tighten them up against balsa -- you'll just cut a groove in the wood; it wouldn't effectively hold the tank without really chewing up the wood.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »

Thoughts?

Gary

I copied Bob Whitely's idea back in 1997 and used Velcro to hold the tank in my Impact and it held up fine for over 2,500 flights.  I still use the idea.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here