News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:44:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sweep wing  (Read 1495 times)

Willis Swindell

• Trade Count: (0)
sweep wing
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:57:03 AM »
Walter's Sweet Sweep has me interested in building a swept wing stunter. I have looked through Tom Morris’s classic era drawings and all the swept wing planes have the lead outs installed in different  positions. Has any body flown one, how did it fly and where did the lead outs come out?
Willis  ???
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 06:58:49 PM by Willis Swindell »

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: sweep wing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:00:07 AM »
Willis,
I think if you are going to build from plans you should probably install adjustable leadout guides and position them so the center of the adjustment is where the leadouts are shown on the plans.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:01:58 AM »
Willis,
Just build a ellipitical wing and hang a 5.8 on it  ;D Although, you probably still have the first one you built.  ::) Silver, I believe it was.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:52:16 AM »
Walter's Sweet Sweep has me interested in building a swept wing stunter. I have looked through Tom Morris’s classic era drawings and all the swept wing planes have the lead outs installed in different  positions. Has any flown one, how did it fly and where did the lead outs come out?
Willis  ???

Willis,

I was looking at the King Sweep and the leadouts come out the front of the wing similar to the Sweet Sweep.  I cant think of a way to make the leadouts adjustable on that type of wing. 

I suppose you could run the leadouts on the out side of the wing if you wanted them adjustable.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 03:00:53 PM »
 All of them that I raced aginst as a Nashville Rat were BLACK.
Busby
Marshall Busby

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 03:05:44 PM »
Willis,
You could always build the stunt version of the Sweet Sweep, the King Sweep.
I believe that Dixon has the plans ,He got them from Mac Henry who has one ready for color.
Busby
Marshall Busby

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 04:31:22 PM »
Willis if you are not in a hurry wait till our ,Hunterville contest in June and I will show you my swept back wing stunter built in the 60's. My leadouts come out just behind the leading edge.My bell crank is back near the trailing edge and it flys straight with no nose out attitude as many swept wing planes did.There is a way to figure out the leadout position and I will show it to you. Jack Sheeks went back and changes many of his old plans that showed the leadouts coming out the leading edge. I built three swept back  wing planes before I got the formula worked out back in the 60's. Here is the old Jet hanging from my ceiling
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Willis Swindell

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 05:33:32 PM »
Scott
Yes I have the Tempest  hanging in John Tate’s garage Mine was white Jimmy’s was red, Bobby’s was black and yours was blue, don’t ask me what I had for lunch today. Funny this would come up I tried to give the engine to some one to fly carrier with and told him that it turned in the 14’s in a slow rat, I think he thought I was BS him and didn’t take it. Also  found the mouse we won the 80 Nat’s with. I know you are designing a mouse to be kited I’ll send you a picture later. I was going to just E mail but some one might be interested, Busby is the Nashville Rat fame, I know you remember them.
Ed
I will be looking forward for the information on Your swept wing plane at Huntersville.
Willis

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 02:44:17 PM »
Willis,
I'll take that 5.8 off your hands and build a new improved Tempest much lighter than the first one I built I don't suppose you still have the templates for the wing  ;D If not I can CAD up a new set. One of these days I will post the pictures I took of the young ladys holding the planes I gotta find them first, dang we had fun with those, I could never get mine to restart. Hmmm, I bet I can find a rechromed liner and piston for one of my 5.8's Now all I need is a gorilla to fly it ;D Due to the aspects of the wing I bet it would make a good stunt plane with a mild motor.  #^

Scott 
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here