News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tin sheet 0.005" source for tank stock  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tin sheet 0.005" source for tank stock
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:26:31 AM »
Guys,
Working on building the tank for my new Barnstormer, the tank area is tight and I need to go around 3/16" deeper than standard to pack in a little more fuel (hope to get to 4oz). I am looking for a source for 0.005" tin sheet stock. I know K&S has the 0.008" but the 0.005" would be my preference. Anyone know a source?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tin sheet 0.005" source for tank stock
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
Hi, Dennis.
I have been using brass shimstock from McMaster-Carr for many years without problems.

They also sell tin shimstock but it's very expensive.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=14to8p3

Bob Z.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »
Dennis,

Brodak makes custom tanks. Brodak also sells the stock.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
Use the .008", .005" will cause you grief.  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 02:40:53 PM »
Bob,
The McMasters stuff is interesting some of the Stainless is in 6"x12" around $11 it is 316SS soft. Will this material solder? They don't have tin plated steel just polished steel, I think this would work about the same price but it is full hardened I'm concerned that it would crack, that's why I looked at the Stainless.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
You need stainless solder and stainless tubing.

MM

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
Guys,
Working on building the tank for my new Barnstormer, the tank area is tight and I need to go around 3/16" deeper than standard to pack in a little more fuel (hope to get to 4oz). I am looking for a source for 0.005" tin sheet stock. I know K&S has the 0.008" but the 0.005" would be my preference. Anyone know a source?

Best,    DennisT

You mean tin-plated steel. The "tin shim stock" is expensive because is it nearly pure tin and not suitable for a fuel tank.

My advice- just use the regular K&S easy-solder stock and move on with your life.

Brett
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:51:36 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »
What practical difference does that .003 difference between .005 and .008 make? 

Phil

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
What practical difference does that .003 difference between .005 and .008 make? 

Phil

A lot less cracking, failed solder joints at tubes, and leaks.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 05:30:43 PM »
You need stainless solder and stainless tubing.

MM

Why?
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »

Why?

You can't solder stainless steel with normal soldering processes!  It takes high silver content solder, and acid flux to do it!

Even if you get the  solder to flow onto the stainless it will not hold!  I don't think you would need stainless tubing, copper should work fine.

The main question is why would you want to use stainless steel?  It's more expensive and troublesome to work with.  Use the .008 tinned stock like Steve suggested and get on with it!  The small difference in weight is not worth the effort!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »

copper or brass tubes solder just fine in stainless tanks using the silver solder liquid flux
rad racer

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 08:27:09 PM »
A previous thread on the subject said that Sta-Brite low temp silver solder works on stainless. Tower Hobby has that, as does most any LHS or Ace Hardware. I like it a lot, but thoroughly neutralizing the flux is absolutely mandatory.  D>K Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »
I would never use anything thinner than .008 thou stock  5 is a major pain, and  I personally use  .010  tin stock, hold tubes much better does not crank near as easy as  .005  or .008  and  it not  heavy,  .005  is just not workable in my book, too many failures

Randy

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 09:25:28 AM »
Over here in England, it's become trendy to sell ground coffee in cans rather than the usual foil packs.  The cans I buy are 5" tall with a circumference of about 10", and they're perfectly decent .008" tinplate - smooth, not corrugated like a can of beans.  The coffee costs, and tastes, about the same as the foil packs, and the only bother is getting the paint off the outside with paint stripper (which I hate using, but I can't resist getting something for nothing!).
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 09:28:30 AM »
Over here in England, it's become trendy to sell ground coffee in cans rather than the usual foil packs.  The cans I buy are 5" tall with a circumference of about 10", and they're perfectly decent .008" tinplate - smooth, not corrugated like a can of beans.  The coffee costs, and tastes, about the same as the foil packs, and the only bother is getting the paint off the outside with paint stripper (which I hate using, but I can't resist getting something for nothing!).

Dope thinner, acetone, or lacquer thinner cans are also popular, and they pretty much come out clean. All those are usable (and thicker than the K&S sheet), but I prefer using brand new clean stock. Plus, you can cut the K&S stock with a good pair of scissors which yields a much cleaner cut.

Brett

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 09:43:05 AM »

Why?

Because, copper/brass tubes in a nice stainless steel tank is just krass.

MM

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 10:56:45 AM »
Here's what Brodak offers.

.01" thick, as they advertise. They made a custom tank for my Mig-3 that came out perfect.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Guy Markham

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 12:55:47 PM »
I  have .008" 10 brite plated tin stock, 12"x12". if anyone wants the whole batch. Price ?  #^
You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »
You can't solder stainless steel with normal soldering processes!  It takes high silver content solder, and acid flux to do it!

Even if you get the  solder to flow onto the stainless it will not hold!  I don't think you would need stainless tubing, copper should work fine.

The main question is why would you want to use stainless steel?  It's more expensive and troublesome to work with.  Use the .008 tinned stock like Steve suggested and get on with it!  The small difference in weight is not worth the effort!

Randy Cuberly

I don't recall ever having an issue soldering stainless steel pans and such in an industrial setting using Ruby Fluid soldering flux and high tin content solder because that's all I had to use. I used to solder up leaks in a friend"s large, stainless steel honey settling tanks using 100%^ tin solder, and these tanks help hundreds of pounds of honey. They leaked direct from the vendor, and they supplied the solder for repair. Silver solder works also. If you want to be real fancy, TIG weld the joints. It's pssible.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here

Advertise Here