News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:48:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Time Machine 50  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Time Machine 50
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »

Guy's, I am looking for all the info that I can get on the Time Machine 50 Profile, wing span, fuse length and what ever else y'all have to share...  Thanks a lot
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: Time Machine 50
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
Gil, this data is from my Time Machine 50 plans which are nothing more than a reduced size of the original Time Machine 60 plans.  The plans are for the full fuselage version but that would make no difference for the profile version.

Wing span:  53.25 inches (equal span wing panels)
Fuselage length:  39 inches, measured from the nose ring to the aft end of the rudder.  This measurement depends on whether you keep that rather ugly jet style or want to change it.
Flap hinge to elevator hinge length:  15.25 inches

I have built all three all three sizes (40, 50, 60) and I think the 50 is the way to go.  Not too big, not too small, just right.  I never liked that original jet style look and always changed it, either with a bubble canopy or with a turtle deck.  This does not change how it flies.  They all fly pretty well, no matter what fuselage look you prefer.

Apparently, I was not the only one who did not like that original fuselage.  Others have said the same thing and I guess Tom Dixon finally got the message and produced a Time Machine II version.  The new version has a different fuselage and it might have some other changes as well.  I do not know what those other changes are.

Pics are of my latest Time Machine 50.  It is a bit heavy, as are most planes in my fleet, but the LA 46 does OK in it.  The next one will have a bit more power.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »
Two more pics.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
Hey, Gil, I got a bit of a laugh after looking at your profile info (Where is Bootlegger).

What are you doing, flying off an oil rig in the Gulf?

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »

Bootlegger has a unique reason for the name, when we get together again I'll 'splain it to you, and no I ain't flying in de gulf ox mexico... LOL   Again thanks for the info...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
I thought the Time Machine 50 had a slight swept wing? Awesome plane too! Hello Gil, Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 07:13:47 AM »
Getting Tangental , ( a Branch Line ! ) THIS flogged frome Jose , scaled to 16 inch hinge to hinge , gives 2 in spinner & wheels ( if I recall wright ) .

Id use 60 in span , with as above , for somthing approprite to weight , in the nose . ( ST 46 , FP40 , LA 46 & within 5 either way of 45 Oz , with Fuse Mtd Gear )( or of 55 ! )

Nailing a plank or a stick or two ( bearers ) thinking in profiles a hard say 1 x 1/2 in , wing top to empenage , the rest as you will ( hollow / 2 lb  LL~ wood , or whatever )
for torsional ridgidity / location . tho theres always 1/2 x 3/8 carbon tube yacht sail battens ! . A bit of artistic liscence , 7 kick it in the guts, trev . ( That Means ' get it over & Done )

And You Too , could be a master of style, discernment , discrimination ( this used to mean you knew which way was up , drove a ( real ) Aston Martin , and were mistaken
for James Bond on occasion . or Billy Bishop etc . )This otherwise means use your own crayons & pencils in places . Both LJ & Time Machine being PATTERNMASTER Derived .

Dr Who , Tardis - Time Machine , etc . unless you prefer the H G Wells device .  :-\ Did Someone Mention a 50 ??  say 45 to 60 Oz should be feasable .

Offline John Tate

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »
We cut down the amount of flap area on the Time Machine 50 to get it to turn better. We noticed that a massive amount of handle input was used to start a loop and then had to back off the handle input during the loop. The Time Machine 50 now flies great.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here