News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tigre 60 really?  (Read 8023 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Tigre 60 really?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 02:31:04 AM »
Yeah, it's really tough to set up the best IC Stunt engine in the world.  Get a new PA65 with header and pipe from Randy S.... buy a 6 oz tank from Brodak, Get a 12.25-4.25 three blade Bolly (or the like) bolt that stuff into an SV11 or Impact or one of the clones, ask Randy where to set the pipe, use 10-20 fuel with a little castor in it, and go fly it.
Worst case, you might have to change the needle setting a click or two on the first couple flights, and move the pipe an eith of an inch or so.  One you've got it you will never have to really move anything again unless something really drastic happens!

Don't believe it...try it.

Randy is taking orders for PA65's right now and recently finished a new batch of 75's, one of which resides in my engine cabinet next to the old one!  They're available.

Or if you're a newbie and chicken about slime go electric!  Forget that old crap it's just trouble!

Randy Cuberly
So along with adjusting tank height, you are saying the height of the header pipe makes a difference in the engine run too?

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Online katana

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2018, 03:28:15 AM »
The thread title caught my eye so I looked - did anyone bother to see what else was up for grabs and the prices against them? Everything over priced - the person is a chancer / dreamer - who's gonna pay 3,600 Eur for a average plane?  n~

But what followed amazed me - How quickly you guys fly off the handle / topic into the world of schoolyard 'my dad's bigger than your dad' comments! For gods sake, please all take a 'chill pill'

Does anyone really cares what anyone else thinks is the best or latest and greatest, which as someone alluded to, - won't improve you - if you can't fly decent patterns anyway!

I drive a 10 year old car - it does exactly the same job as a 1 year old car ........ some people manage to get through life using old stuff because it functions sufficiently well for there needs! People grow old & sad looking for Unicorns  HB~> ...................................hint - They aren't real!  ;)

Offline Evgeny Khromov

• New Pilot
    • CLSTUNT.RU
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 04:39:24 AM »
I read the whole topic, and I would like to make my own 5 cents. Forgive me if not the topic.
I'm still a novice. But for two years already I have been flying mainly on the OS MAX FP / LA, I tried to fly to OS 35S, Fox 35 and Brodak40. For the whole year I had donated tigers, which I really wanted to try.
Last weekend I tested the SuperTiger 60 in air.  It was wonderful. But my level is still only a novice. I am from a developing country about which many have not heard. And then this is a great blessing.
At the professional level, they may not be competitive. But for their level they are in demand. Or as Schwarzenegger said in the film terminator. I'm old but not useless.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2018, 05:44:31 AM »
Yeah, it's really tough to set up the best IC Stunt engine in the world.  Get a new PA65 with header and pipe from Randy S.... buy a 6 oz tank from Brodak, Get a 12.25-4.25 three blade Bolly (or the like) bolt that stuff into an SV11 or Impact or one of the clones, ask Randy where to set the pipe, use 10-20 fuel with a little castor in it, and go fly it.
Worst case, you might have to change the needle setting a click or two on the first couple flights, and move the pipe an eith of an inch or so.  One you've got it you will never have to really move anything again unless something really drastic happens!

Don't believe it...try it.

Randy is taking orders for PA65's right now and recently finished a new batch of 75's, one of which resides in my engine cabinet next to the old one!  They're available.

Or if you're a newbie and chicken about slime go electric!  Forget that old crap it's just trouble!

Randy Cuberly
Ok so roughly a PA is around $400, roughly how much is a header pipe?

When I see these engines ruining at Brodaks Fly-in they definitely catch my eye and sound good.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2018, 05:51:44 AM »
 I've never seen a ST60 for $100, once in a blue moon they pop up on ebay and they go for $180-230. Once in a blue moon they pop up on here for $150 and once in 2 blue moons you'll see it before its marked sold.  Swap meets I hardly ever see them and the one time I have it was $185, or a parts engine missing half the stuff.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 05:52:48 AM »
What modifications did he do to it?

Cylinder head, relocate spray bar, timing, venturi.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 06:24:26 AM »
Did I just read someone mention "Triton. I sold mine years ago for "stupid money" to someone who probably never rode it. Anyway attached is a pic of my 1969 Triumph TR6R "Caff".Took me 3 years to build from a total basket case. She's a beauty!.....not ST60 powered.....lol

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 10:43:58 AM »
Did I just read someone mention "Triton. I sold mine years ago for "stupid money" to someone who probably never rode it. Anyway attached is a pic of my 1969 Triumph TR6R "Caff".Took me 3 years to build from a total basket case. She's a beauty!.....not ST60 powered.....lol

Hey Skip that's truly beautiful!  Too bad you sold it.  Definitely looks like a "keeper". 

Thanks for sharing!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
So along with adjusting tank height, you are saying the height of the header pipe makes a difference in the engine run too?

Chris

I'm going to assume that your reply was serious and answer it.  Maybe just "Silly Me".

No, the height of the header pipe has no effect on anything except whether it will fit in the fuselage.  The length of the total pipe from basically the center of the cylinder (glow plug) to the pipe baffle (or reverse cone on speed type pipes) is the determining factor in the function of a stunt pipe.

Of course the overall dimensions of the pipe and header (separate part) are determined according to engine volume (size) and RPM range to be used.  Internal volume and length of the pipe as well as the shape are important and must follow definite proportions according to engine type and size as well as intended usage.  Those determinations are too lengthy and complicated to go into here.  Suffice it to say, if you purchase a "stunt" pipe and a header for a stunt engine from Randy Smith or another manufacturer it will be in the ball park for dimensions and all you have to adjust is the length to give the run you want!  PA engines are typically pretty forgiving about this and especially the 65 has a broad "sweet spot" where it will run very well.

I'm not sure where you ever got any idea about the "header pipe" height being a determinant but they do come in different heights, but only to allow installation in different aircraft.  Really the only critical thing about a pipe installation is that they don't leak at any of the connections!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »

Randy Cuberly
I'm going to assume that your reply was serious and answer it.  Maybe just "Silly Me".

No, the height of the header pipe has no effect on anything except whether it will fit in the fuselage.  The length of the total pipe from basically the center of the cylinder (glow plug) to the pipe baffle (or reverse cone on speed type pipes) is the determining factor in the function of a stunt pipe.

Of course the overall dimensions of the pipe and header (separate part) are determined according to engine volume (size) and RPM range to be used.  Internal volume and length of the pipe as well as the shape are important and must follow definite proportions according to engine type and size as well as intended usage.  Those determinations are too lengthy and complicated to go into here.  Suffice it to say, if you purchase a "stunt" pipe and a header for a stunt engine from Randy Smith or another manufacturer it will be in the ball park for dimensions and all you have to adjust is the length to give the run you want!  PA engines are typically pretty forgiving about this and especially the 65 has a broad "sweet spot" where it will run very well.

I'm not sure where you ever got any idea about the "header pipe" height being a determinant but they do come in different heights, but only to allow installation in different aircraft.  Really the only critical thing about a pipe installation is that they don't leak at any of the connections!

Randy Cuberly
Yes it was a serious question or I wouldn't have asked it. I got it from you mentioning move the "pipe an eith of inch" which sounded a bit strange, but I didn't know you ment length. I've nerve seen a PA in person or the pipe and header. It sounds like a pain to set up just like a regular glow engine.

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
I don't have any pictures of a pipe installation handy but maybe someone else here will post one.  It's really not all that complicated!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
I don't have any pictures of a pipe installation handy but maybe someone else here will post one.  It's really not all that complicated!

Randy Cuberly
Well it's not really that important, chances are ill never have to money to buy one.  Assuming a pipe is $100 and the engine is $400. I wouldn't mind getting on Randys list for one but for now I'm stuck with trying what I have which is a ST60. Maybe someday!

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2018, 04:19:48 PM »
Well it's not really that important, chances are ill never have to money to buy one.  Assuming a pipe is $100 and the engine is $400. I wouldn't mind getting on Randys list for one but for now I'm stuck with trying what I have which is a ST60. Maybe someday!

Chris

You would have to check with Randy Smith for exact prices but I would guess about $575.00 (USD) plus postage for an engine, header and pipe.  Again, don't take that as gospel it's just an educated guess on my part.  I've bought several of them.
It's also possible to find used engines and pipes for somewhat less!

About the ST60...one thing to keep in mind is that they need a very firm front end on the airplane.  Big Jim and Windy Urtnowski developed a fuselage front end called a V-deflector that is very rigid and definitely is what you want for a ST60.   Use the search function here and type "Big Jim Greenaway Pattern Master V deflector fuselage".  That should show you what it is!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »
Yes, we knooooow. You seem to mention it in almost every post.

That's just for you Motorman.  Eat your heart out!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline curtis williams

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »
There is a Super Tigre 60 in the classifides right now for $99 with shipping.   I would suggest you people grow up.  Perhaps it would be better to listen to people who have there name on the Walker Cup.  I like hearing what he has to say.
Better yet build a trainer and help a kid to learn how to fly.
Basically who cares.  I build toy airplanes for fun.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »
I guess I was in the right place at the right time, because I bought a ST .60bb and a ST G.21 .46, both with little or no running time, for $40 each. I sent both off to Tom Lay for his rework, and flipped them for a reasonable profit. Another time, I bought a Big Jim "Series K" (concave head fins) ST .60bb for $80 in an 80 oz Cardinal and flipped it for a profit, after pulling the engine out and giving the airplane away.

Those are about the only transactions I haven't lost money on, of course! Truth is, there are a lot of engines out there that won't ever be used. Keep your eyes open. You might even find some in Pawn Shops and 2nd Hand stores, particularly near military bases. Bought a Fox .29 stunt new or nearly new, for $8 in a pawnshop in Oak Harbor, for instance.  :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2018, 05:43:22 PM »

Tom also fitted a new ring from Frank Bowman, and said he hardened the cylinder and honed it round prior to fitting the piston & ring.

IMO, a ST G.51 is a much better engine than a ST .60, especially if fitted with a Brian Gardner ABC setup. Could even be good with a pipe, if you can get a header made. It runs relatively smooth, and the ABC setup should run smoother yet. Quite unlike a ST  .60, about the same "power", but at about 1k higher rpm.  D>K  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »
You would have to check with Randy Smith for exact prices but I would guess about $575.00 (USD) plus postage for an engine, header and pipe.  Again, don't take that as gospel it's just an educated guess on my part.  I've bought several of them.
It's also possible to find used engines and pipes for somewhat less!

About the ST60...one thing to keep in mind is that they need a very firm front end on the airplane.  Big Jim and Windy Urtnowski developed a fuselage front end called a V-deflector that is very rigid and definitely is what you want for a ST60.   Use the search function here and type "Big Jim Greenaway Pattern Master V deflector fuselage".  That should show you what it is!

Randy Cuberly
I will check that out on the ST60, thanks!  If I didn't buy the ST60s and a bunch off LA46s I could of had a PA. But more is always better right! Maybe you could part with one of your PA's to help out a unfortunate ST60 owner ;D

Chris
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »
I will check that out on the ST60, thanks!  If I didn't buy the ST60s and a bunch off LA46s I could of had a PA. But more is always better right! Maybe you could part with one of your PA's to help out a unfortunate ST60 owner ;D

Chris

Well.....Uhhhhhhhhhh   <= <= <=  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  Good luck.  If you really want one you'll find one!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
I have to ad my .02c

NOT for just  folk who want to compete and win... but even WE hack/ sport fliers can benefit from some of the old guy wisdom offered in this and many other threads

Back when I came back (retread) like so many others--- Nostalgia was on my mind...Dad's Ring master with Fox 35   or similar of 1950s or 60s... Torp Green heads, Enya 5224...etc

Thus I went down the path of Old Skool and all the requisite learning curve and frustration

Along the way I found the BBTU by Dirty Dan and was mildly intrigued... followed the path as a religion...suffered a lot of derision from my companions on forums 

Many with some deep animus for Dan or Brett....OK that is cool... bu the formula worked out for me...easier start, lower learning curve, formula worked each and every flight day

I started a relationship with Tom Dixon and Randy Smith... decided to trust Randy as I was not seeing a lot of love for the Stalker line... RS had sold me a bunch of ready to run engines that do exactly as he suggests....  I do not mean this to mean Tom Dixon's Stalkers are junk... I just decided to got with RS engines

Now I have mostly discarded (sold) old stuff and focus on the now obsolete but well supported Magnum and OS line of engines and so far do not regret any one I finally found for a price I can live with...

I will probably never buy a RoJet or PA as for my hack flying they would be a grand waste of my diminishing hobby funds.... BUT I truly believe the guys that swear by them as the best of the best.....

Even for hack / sport flying... there is really no compelling reason to be frustrated with the old tech , rings, fussy fuel, fussy tanks, and poor life spans of many of the 1950s~1960s crap

Hell I can find brand new never run OS .35, .40, .46 much cheaper that a used ST, Enya, K&B, Veco, Johnson, Fox... and the Magnum line is very affordable and reliable

On could say my $200 ARF SV-11 deserves a decent RoJet or PA monster on pipe....but I bet my RS Blue printed  $152 Magnum .52 will suit my easy to start and fly needs just fine

I had a ST .60 once upon a time...admittedly I was dumb back then.... happy when a friend bought it off me... stupid engine always back fired.. spun off the prop...bit my finger tips... and ate a LOT of fuel

If you absolutely MUST ply old school for nostalgic reason...very cool

But to compete, train, and have a bullet proof power system that does not require a lot of every flight thinking

I sure would follow the advice here from the winners.....with "been there done that" experience
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »

Basically who cares.  I build toy airplanes for fun.

^^^ Pure Truth above^^^

Basically, if not for my OFB that is a great engine guy, as a newbie, I would have just stuck to E power because it's pretty darned simple if you understand how it works.
That being said, LiPo batteries make me a little nervous, so Glow seems safer to me.
THAT being said, getting a consistant running engine is paramount to getting a good flight, regardless of WHAT brand of engine is in the plane, RIGHT?
Some of the folks here don't want to spend time tinkering, they would rather spend a bit more money to have what they know is going to work. Nothing wrong with that. Commonality of engines and equipment in various planes makes sense whenever possible. One spare part that fits multiple planes IS a good thing, right?

Some people have less disposable income, and need to, or want to, find some cheaper alternatives to the solution of a good running engine above. They cannot or do not want to trade dollars for time.
Personally, as I age, I feel like more days are behind me than ahead, so trading some dollars for time when possible makes sense.

But it's ALL supposed to be fun, whether derived from OS, AP, RO-Jett, Stalker, Cobra, Thunder Power, or God knows what the next greatest power system will be.

We should remember that we are all "US", not US vs. THEM in this hobby. Try to help each other when you can. If you can't help someone and you tried, it's ok, some folks ask a question and already have a couple answers in mind.

Lets just have fun and get along for 2018. They are toy planes.

BR,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
I never imagined posting a link to a ridiculously priced engine would have turned into so many arguments and discussions over old and new engines.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2018, 06:20:45 PM »
It is a shame that RO-JETT or PA do not come is SUB 60 sizes anymore or am I wrong? I have no need for a monster sized motor or a Model that requires one. SOmetimes I think that CLPA follows those humongous RC models we all love to ridicule. I sort of miss the days when all you needed was a Stiletto 660 or smaller model to compete. But I will say one thing. I firmly believe that always having to mess with engine runs or compensate for erratic engine runs most certainly hampered my ability to hone my flying skills. Run Away's, Over Heats, and the entire host of other engine issues and flight to flight inconsistency made me more focused on adjusting to the engine run rather than flying.

You don't need a good steady engine run to do lazy 8's a couple of loops or even flying inverted, But try completing even a semi recognizable pattern with an recalcitrant engine  and you will be pulling hairs. It completely blows even trying to get the model trimmed right out of the water. The engine winds up downwind and then goes slag upwind, gets loose in overheads, or just plain runs away screaming like a Kardashian faced with a Implant malfunction, and see how that messes with your Karma. Sure electric can mitigate some of that but there it's not all that cut and paste. There is as much if not more to dial in an electric setup for CLPA as there with IC plus you have to bring your charging system to the field with you, which means sitting in your car charging batteries else spend a ton of money on batteries as quality LiPos are not cheap. Oh and by the way FAA has prohibited LiPo batteries as checked baggage on all flights, you pretty much have to mail them to your destination in advance.

So if someone makes engines that are designed for CLPA using modern materials and technology then just the hours saves from having to mess incessantly with hardware not specifically designed for that purpose is well worth the money, it is if you ever think about perhaps competing semi seriously, or perhaps just getting better at flying your toy airplane. Just for informational purposes, I had my share of the old school Iron engines back in the day FOX, McCoy, Enya, K&B etc. Once i discovered OS, I never looked back, even back then. But as I mentioned I never got into models that needed a 60 or larger engine. Did I mention that it's too bad that RO-Jetts and the like are being made in a Sub-60 size?
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »
Liner:
I know, right?
Any engine that runs consistantly the way you want without problems and too much fussing seems like a good engine to me, regardless of make.
Getting parts seems like something to consider regardless of brand.
R,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2018, 07:13:34 PM »
Peter, last C/L engine price list I got from Dub Jett listed a 35, 40L, 51, 61, 67 and 76.  That was about a year ago and all are still available as far as I know.  If you PM me an email address I'll forward the price lists.  George

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2018, 07:20:22 PM »
I believe the RO Jett 40 in both side and rear exhaust versions are still made and available.  I have three of them one side exhaust and two rear exhaust (all Bar stock engines and very light).  They are very good running engines and believe they will last for ever if treated well.  Also Randy Smith (yes that guy again) does a magnum 36 that is a beautiful and very good running engine.  A bit heavier than the RO Jett but runs very well and is a bit less expensive.  Get the B&B one!

There are some very good smaller engines available so there should be No Problem if that is your fare.  I also do not like Lipo's.  Not for any particular reason.  I'm just stubborn, and like the smell of castor even if it is only 5%!    LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2018, 01:12:25 AM »
I have 4 V.60tys 2 were Free and the others I got for 50 ea off eBay. They all run the same. Tigers, in my opinion, run the best set up this way. RS venturi and spray bar in stock location. Sig Champion fule, 13 X 6 Revup prop. This engine is very predictable with plenty of power for a ship up to 65 oz. Let the airplane off at 85 to 9000 RPM for a smooth four stroke with little cycling. If you like the nostalgic sound this is the engine for you but if you need the screaming power of a windup weedeater the buy a VF.46.

The engine that I am using on my next plane of the PA.75 very powerful with similar run characteristics. Call me nostalgic but I love that sound.
AMA 12366

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2018, 01:22:34 AM »
FWIW, I picked up a used RO-Jett .76 SIDE EXHAUST from a regular on here and eventually called Dubby Jett and sent it off to him to convert to REAR EXHAUST. That was only $50 plus shipping both directions. From what I've read on here more recently, I might be able to get it converted to a .67 if I wish to buy a new piston/cylinder and head insert. Dubby can usually deliver stunt engines in a pretty timely manner, but I don't know what the hurricane and flood did to him. Worth a call.   y1 Steve

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2018, 01:50:19 PM »
  I'm just stubborn, and like the smell of castor even if it is only 5%!    LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
[/quote]

Really?  %^@  5% oil!? I think you mean 5% nitro......... y1

Jerry

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2018, 04:16:16 PM »
I assumed (yeah, I know!) that Randy meant 5% castor of a total of 20% or more oil. Nobody in Tucson runs 5% nitro at their density altitude.  H^^ Steve

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »
I assumed (yeah, I know!) that Randy meant 5% castor of a total of 20% or more oil. Nobody in Tucson runs 5% nitro at their density altitude.  H^^ Steve

Ahhhh, that makes more sense to me! y1

Jerry

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »

Yeah, Thanks Steve!

I guess I made an assumption that no one would think I only use 5% oil!  I typically use 20% total oil in most engines but use a total of 18% sometimes with only 3% castor in some RO Jett engines.  The AAC Ro Jetts tend to run cold if too much oil especially castor is used here in Tucson where the air is typically very dry and hot.
Also of course as Steve mentioned, 15% nitro is pretty much the norm here with up to 20% + in some cases to maintain power and a good run.  Some folks tend to carry two jugs of fuel to the field with like oil content but 15% in one jug and 25% in the other jug and then mix the two to choice in the syringe before filling the tank.  By varying the amounts from the two jugs you can mix any amount between the two.  However...do the math carefully.  The biggest danger is that the higher the nitro content the more fuel it takes to fly the pattern.  It's easy to run short if you're not careful.  How much it's effected depends on the engine venturi size, prop, and RPM range used.  SO...it requires some careful planning and practice to accomplish but can be a very effective tool for altitude and climate/temperature changes!  However don't say I didn't warn you and don't call Dub Jett and say "Hey, Randy Cuberly said your engines only need 18% oil..."  What I'm talking about is special cases here at high altitude.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
While We're on the subject of INJUNs . And while all the ' engine blokes ' are HERE . . .

Was a Big Jim ST 51 post on U Tube , at F Meadow - Later unavailable due to copyright / tunes !? ??? ( dunno it had any )

Can someone/ anyone REINSTATE IT , from the historical perspective it is one of the few ' movies of Mr Greenaway , and a engine of his flying stunt ,  >:(

Thanks . H^^

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2018, 08:55:37 PM »
I like the idea for the time share I will put in my life savings mind you my life consists of lots of airplanes so my savings is $13.24 a tooth pick and half a stick of gum

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »
While We're on the subject of INJUNs . And while all the ' engine blokes ' are HERE . . .

Was a Big Jim ST 51 post on U Tube , at F Meadow - Later unavailable due to copyright / tunes !? ??? ( dunno it had any )

Can someone/ anyone REINSTATE IT , from the historical perspective it is one of the few ' movies of Mr Greenaway , and a engine of his flying stunt ,  >:(

Thanks . H^^

Well, I dunno. I recall seeing that one, but it's not there anymore. Probably, whoever posted it needed space in their account folder or something of that sort? Windy might know, but I have no idear (sic) who posted it originally. If you manage to get it reinstated, please let us know.  H^^ Steve

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 10:09:56 PM »
Hi Skip,
I've been reasonably competitive with my old V60 Tigre powered Golden Falcon. it's an old 80's style 60 ship. It's all wrong. But I've flown it a lot and it's really reliable.
My pipe ship needs some maintenance and I'm actually slower than Randy at getting models done but it has a PA 61 on a 65 Aero Pipe and the model has a few little quirks so I'm not flying it right now but it can fly more competitively than the 60 ship. But only if it shows up to the contest.
Build your ships, put in the engine that suits you, practice (or have fun).
You if desire to compete, and can fly in Advanced, you can kick everyone's butt with a 60 ship almost everywhere in the country if you practice with a coach and fly regularly. After 1,000 flights on one or two ships with reasonable shapes sizes found by a flying with a good outside observer/coach, you'll be competitive.
Once you're in Expert, one has to step up a lot, and my 60 ship suffers from slow speed recovery in hard corners and trim issues from having a forward CG.
I'm building a Thundergazer for a PA75 like David Fitzgerald has, but I'll have a hard time beating he, Brett or Paul ever because I won't fly as much as them. Not enough fire for it anymore, too many hobbies, etc.
Have fun with the 60, it gets one to 95% all at once better than any other engine, and easier.
Chris...

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
Hi Skip,
I've been reasonably competitive with my old V60 Tigre powered Golden Falcon. it's an old 80's style 60 ship. It's all wrong. But I've flown it a lot and it's really reliable.
My pipe ship needs some maintenance and I'm actually slower than Randy at getting models done but it has a PA 61 on a 65 Aero Pipe and the model has a few little quirks so I'm not flying it right now but it can fly more competitively than the 60 ship. But only if it shows up to the contest.
Build your ships, put in the engine that suits you, practice (or have fun).
You if desire to compete, and can fly in Advanced, you can kick everyone's butt with a 60 ship almost everywhere in the country if you practice with a coach and fly regularly. After 1,000 flights on one or two ships with reasonable shapes sizes found by a flying with a good outside observer/coach, you'll be competitive.
Once you're in Expert, one has to step up a lot, and my 60 ship suffers from slow speed recovery in hard corners and trim issues from having a forward CG.
I'm building a Thundergazer for a PA75 like David Fitzgerald has, but I'll have a hard time beating he, Brett or Paul ever because I won't fly as much as them. Not enough fire for it anymore, too many hobbies, etc.
Have fun with the 60, it gets one to 95% all at once better than any other engine, and easier.
Chris...

Hey Chris;
    There may be a Mini-Me Golden Falcon in the future. Sean was asking me about the airplane and I'm sure he has talked to you about it. One of these days, I'll type my version of why the American flag decal is on the right wing tip!  That one one of the wildest things I ever saw!  I always loved the paint scheme on that airplane!
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2018, 02:22:36 AM »

I do nothing but what I already listed. (Box stock)
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here