News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:41:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More UAS stuff  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
More UAS stuff
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »
So, I looked at the registration. Don't want much do they?  Here are the posted requirements. And since this is a monster and moronic bureaucracy, they are likely to adhere to them slavishly without actual thought.

I will fly below 400 feet

----Well, this will be easy

I will fly within visual line of sight

----Also, not really an issue.

I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: www.faa.gov/go/uastfr

----Again, 99.99% doesn't apply to us.

I will not fly directly over people

----Depends on how you look at it. We sort of fly over people.

I will not fly over stadiums and sports events

----Not only not at issue, but not possible - unless you fly IN a stadium.

I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

----Again, not really possible

I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports

----This one could be a problem since we fly AT an airport and within about 150 feet of full sized aircraft. Of course, they are parked aircraft, but it doesn't say anything about that. This, like most of the guidelines, are clearly not well thought out.

I will not fly under the influence

----Ya think?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:24:19 PM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: More UAS stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:51:07 PM »
All aimed at RC, of course.  The gummint doesn't even know that CL and/or FF exists.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »

So, has any of these yahoos actually made the final decision on whether or not us C/Ler's need to even bother with this? Either way I'm not planning to, I would just like to know what the "law" is. A couple nights ago I read the AMA's blurb at the top of our home page here and it seems to me that if you only fly C/L there is no need to bother?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »
Well, the AMA says we don't have to register. But there is nothing in the FAA stuff that says we don't. In fact, it seems to say that anything needs to be registered. If it weighs over a half ounce, it needs to be registered. Doesn't matter that it is complete nonsense.

Does this mean that I can stop putting my AMA number on the wing and start putting my UAS registration on it?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:52:58 PM »
hey ya folks

From todays (19th)AMA Newsletter:

spacer   AMATodayHeaderV2_02b   AMATodayHeaderV2_03b   spacer
spacer   Tuesday, January 19, 2016   spacer  Forward-2   spacer

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2016/01/18/faa-advocacy-meeting-january-15-and-16/      
Members required to register with FAA

AMA members are now required by regulation to register their aircraft with the FAA to avoid federal enforcement and potential penalties. All Radio Control modelers must register aircraft weighing greater than 0.55 pounds online no later than February 19, 2016. The registration fee is $5. However, FAA is offering free registration when registering on or before midnight EST on January 21. Online registration can be accomplished on the FAA webpage at, RegisterMyUAS.faa.gov . Several AMA staff members and AMA leaders have been working with legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members in the future. Visit modelaircraft.org/gov to learn more.
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2016/01/18/faa-advocacy-meeting-january-15-and-16/

CARL CISNEROS DIST IV
CONTROL LIVE RACING BOARD
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
Maybe if those fine bureaucrats at FAA would get off their fat asses and go see CL flying, they would just leave us alone. D>K

Yeah, but they're all in DC, and there's no model flying allowed in the 30 mile radius from there. With the traffic, that would take at least half a day from their busy schedules.  R%%%% Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:06:57 AM »
Well, I'm not registering.  I plan on getting rid of all my RC stuff over  250g and fly under the limit, CL and FF.  I'll register to fly my model airplains  when ALL the illegal aliens have registered.  R%%%%
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:57:51 AM »
I called the AMA and they were actually quite helpful.

My main concern was the 400' AGL clause. The AMA's stance is that the FAA will allow us as a CBO to operate within the limits of our own safety code, an hence we can operate at >400AGL if we are in compliance with the AMA code.

Like many others here I'm also a licensed pilot and have dealt with the FAA for decades and always found them to be reasonable, rational people who love aviation.

I'm not overly concerned. The whole point of the exercise seems to be education and the ability to render consequences for overtly stupid acts, and ultimately, keep the skies I fly in safe. I've been in hot water with the FAA before and they talked to me about it, made sure I understood what happened and why they were talking to me. They did an attitude check and once they were satisfied I got the message, they let it go. Other guys I fly with have had similar experiences. No books were thrown, no careers finished and no fines.  I came away with the impression that they were reasonable, nice people who were merely protecting the safety of everyone, me included. 

I would most humbly suggest that we are in a position where RC fliers are going to have to comply. The AMA clearly states that CL aircraft aren't required. That being the case, let's not complain about hypothetical abuse that hasn't happened yet. AMA members may actually now have a public forum to be listened too. Before, we were a pretty small group with no real lobbying power. There's a chance for something good to come out of this if we play our cards right. We can be seen as "the good guys" and subject matter experts in the court of public opinion.

Just my $.02 and you are certainly entitled to a different opinion which I promise to respect.
AMA 76478

Offline john ohnimus

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
I just registered... Completely painless and free until the 21/Jan/2016. And we know that only the "good guys" will register.... Sounds vaguely familiar to another issue we have here in our wonderful country.
Hard Tellin'....  Not Knowin'

AMA 413710

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:28:53 AM »
Has anybody else noticed that since the FAA announced registration that is seems no media accounts of drones have reported?  Is it just me or did I miss some accounts?
AMA # 2817

Offline WR Crane aka MrClean

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
You don't have to worry about registering.  According to the AMA when you renew next year they will give your information to the FAA so you won't have to.   If I read the last bulletin correctly.  Of course they made it sound like they understood that registering is just another thing, a pain and then there was the expense that as an AMA member you shouldn't have to do it.  So they are going to get the FAA to waive the fee and just hand over your information themselves.  Not that THAT might have been a factor as well.

Again, washington is as washington does.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »
As I typed on another post, if the AMA is so worried about appeasing the fat arses at FAA,  just send them copies of the current records the AMA has. VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 06:35:37 PM »
I don't feel like registering with an agency that has no authority over model aircraft, for a fee, while giving up valuable personal information, with no benefit of additional safety -- in order to do something I've been doing since 1974.   I just won't do it.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 06:53:18 PM »

Again, washington is as washington does.

That's Washington DC, just to be correct. Out here, our bureau-rats do whatever the hell they want. We voted against the Kingdome, and they built it anyway, on taxpayer dollars. Then they decided to tear it down and build another sports complex that we also voted down, but they built it anyway, on taxpayer dollars. And then there was that Gubernatorial election, where the loser and her party paid for as many re-counts as it took to win. Two or three, I forget. I won't say which party it was, but it was not the GOP. After the election was settled and after the new Goobenor had been sworn-in, some investigations turned up the fact that a lot of her voters were dead when they voted, and had been for some years.  Ah...chit...you were close enough to cover both washingtons with reasonable accuracy.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

John Leidle

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »
 Most of your post seems accurate Steve but I think some is off 180 degrees & even though this took 3 recounts it was a small drop in the bucket compared to the fraudulent vote in Florida a couple years previous... and the damage that followed.

Offline john ohnimus

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 09:20:58 AM »
North Carolina will require all voters to present I.D.'s this year.
Hard Tellin'....  Not Knowin'

AMA 413710

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 11:40:59 AM »
I don't register my guns so I'm sure as hell not going to register my airplanes.

Larry Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
I don't register my guns so I'm sure as hell not going to register my airplanes.

Larry Buttafucco Stunt Team

I'm with you Larry...Maybe we can share a cell!   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »
Got an email from my friend at the Academy....he says that, SO FAR, control line is exempt and had instructed someone to update the FAQ section to reflect that.....

Things change quickly sometimes with the Feds....

Have fun!

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »
I'm with you Larry...Maybe we can share a cell!   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
I'll be there too. ~>
AMA # 2817

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 08:00:22 PM »
Lets hope the prison yard is big enough for me to fly my Ringmasters. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here