News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:06:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thunder Tigre 36  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Thunder Tigre 36
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:45:09 AM »

Guy's what is a good prop, nitro content, oil content and percentages, and any other info on running in one of these engines
     Thanks... #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Thunder Tigre 36
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
I used the search function on here and got 33 replies
   Why rehash it all over again
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »
On the other hand, the 33 replies do not in any way answer the question...I read all 33 of them    from Using "Thunder Tiger 36" as the search

I tried several other search methods and still came up with no good info

I know the answer about various TT 36 set up are here cuz I have read them over the years

BUT I think it is buried inside a Nobler ARF or some similar thread

Sorry Gil I do not have the answer but I know Randy Smith does for sure

and If I know Randy he is gonna have advice like Nitro as needed per local conditions...meaning 5 to 15% depending on air temp
I think the TT 36 is old skool so probably in the 22~28% oil region.... never had one so basically lower oil if ABC/ AAC and higher if Iron liner

Prop range is goona be subjective based on the plane and I have no clue--- but I bet the same range as and Evo .36 or OS 40
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »

Thanks fellow's, I appreciate the help...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »
I bought a TT.36 used from one of the forum members, this was their suggestion:

George,

I ran Thunder Tiger 11x4.5 props and APC 11/4 an 5 props. I have never  used 15%nitro on any of my C/L engines as it really isn't necessary where I live. makes the engine over accelerate and the fuel economy goes out the window. Use 5% in normal weather and 10% when reaching the 90's at 11K it isn't a bad run but set the engine to get the speed range that you want. Changing venturis is the easiest way to do this.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 04:28:41 PM »
If it helps, both Bruce Hunt and John Thompson (both fly Expert) tried to make a standard TT .36 work in an ex-Don McClave "Blackbird", and failed. And I think both are pretty good engine guys. Eventually, JT saved up his nickles and sent it off to Randy Smith. I don't recall if it got modified OEM parts or if it got the full tilt Aero Tiger treatment. Stock, they make a pretty good Beginner's Navy Carrier engine, according to Mike Potter.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »
If it helps, both Bruce Hunt and John Thompson (both fly Expert) tried to make a standard TT .36 work in an ex-Don McClave "Blackbird", and failed. And I think both are pretty good engine guys. Eventually, JT saved up his nickles and sent it off to Randy Smith. I don't recall if it got modified OEM parts or if it got the full tilt Aero Tiger treatment. Stock, they make a pretty good Beginner's Navy Carrier engine, according to Mike Potter.   H^^ Steve

Hmmmm....
That's odd!  Steve Moon used one for quite a while in a Geiseke Nobler for VSC, very successfully.  I also had one in a G. Nobler and it ran reasonably well.  Both Steve and I are also Expert level fliers and while it did take some minor set-up to achieve there wasn't any major mods required.
Mine had a completely stock engine with a .265 venturii and ST Needle Valve assembly.  I used a Phelps style 10.5- 4.25 prop and because I live in Tucson, 15% nitro with 20% oil (half castor and half Klotz).
It gave very good runs.  It did require a careful initial needle setting for the day but once achieved it was quite stable and ran a very strong wet 2 with a slight increase at the tops of maneuvers.  On hot afternoons the nitro was increased to about 18%.
I eventually replaced it with an Aerotiger because I had one.  While the Aerotiger was easier handling with a much broader sweet spot, it really didn't work any better than the stock engine when properly adjusted.
One thing that was key to setup for both the stock engine and the Aerotiger was the proper amount of backpressure on the tongue muffler.  Many holes were drilled and tapped for 4-40 screws and screws were added to holes until the proper backpressure was attained.  Most of the people I knew at the time were tuning Aerotigers that way and it worked also on the stock engines with the setup mentioned.

No it wasn't "choking" the engine just controlling it.  The engine was still very powerful and would fly a larger airplane if necessary!  I don't remember the precise number of holes or screws but someone around probably does!  I'm pretty sure that I picked it up from Bill Werwage at VSC many years ago.  I seem to have some recollection of Ted Fancher being involved with one there also! (Aerotiger).

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 09:53:29 PM »
Guy's what is a good prop, nitro content, oil content and percentages, and any other info on running in one of these engines
     Thanks... #^

Hi I sent you an email reply  to your questions :   Try a Cyclone 11 x 4.5 , TF  11 x 4   APC  11.5 x 4.5  , 20- 22% oil mostly synthetic , Merlin hot big bore plug, wet rich 2 stroke, or some get a 4/2 hi RPM break  around 10,500 RPMs

DO NOT use all castor , this is  NOT an old school engine, its a ABN dual ball bearing Loop Charged engine
DO NOT stop up the tongue or tube mufflers with bunches of screws, The reason Bob and Billy did this was they had venturies that had been opened up 7 step larger than needed

Use a true venturi with a # 17 or 18 drill size, this will be the same as a .270 to .280  restrictor venturi  , if you must  drill thu and ruin the case to use a needle thru  the  restrictor venturi, take care, the sides are not round and it will leak, the carb hold down/Needle valve hole at the back  will need to be sealed well so it does not leak

Randy

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 01:21:20 AM »
Hmmmmm. I wonder why mine worked so well.  Guess there's more than one way to skin a cat! Or set up an engine!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 08:42:05 PM »
Hmmmmm. I wonder why mine worked so well.  Guess there's more than one way to skin a cat! Or set up an engine!

Randy Cuberly

They have  large power and a large envelope they will run in, But I have had people burn them up putting  many screws and choking the exhaust down ,  When I removed the  8 step too large venturi from Billy's  engine, the screws needed to come out, result , better run, more power   less heat, , the relationship between the intake and exhaust are tied to each other, open the exhaust and the intake "acts"  bigger,  close it down and the  intake  "acts" smaller , helps if you are running  too large a venturi  but is  not  optimal.  You hit on a combo that worked , however that does not  negate  the  things I wrote  about how to set up the engine.  I would  suspect  you would not  need  near  15 to 18%  nitro  with the  screws removed.   I have been in Tucson many times  with guys running  Aero Tigers  with 5% fuel and making  huge power, as  you say different  ways to do things

Regards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here