News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thought I would share my Hurricane  (Read 1580 times)

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Thought I would share my Hurricane
« on: April 06, 2019, 08:40:11 PM »
    Been Long winter

OS 46LA modified by Byron Parker
  Brodack kit with a few mods
  Ready to fly weight is 38.9 oz

Used acrylic craft paint, Decals, and non-taughten dope as my finish...cost is $1.50 for paint......LOL.....
  Fuselage is hollowed out and sheet with 1/16th plywood
   Added a weight box in tail
    Solid tips hollowed out
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
Re: Thought I would share my Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »
weight box in tail
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 08:45:09 PM »
panel lines
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 08:47:22 PM »
Byron Parker OS 46LA

I think it is a good weight
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
Very Goog .

The Colours are pretty much Spot On .

Looks like it should fly a treat .

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »
Mr.Tom,

Wow! She's a beauty. Can you go into detail on the finish?

Acrylic under the dope? Or dope to stick/seal the silk/tissue/covering with acrylic over the dope?
My curiosity is in regards to using acrylic paint, and how to fuel-proof it.

Thanks in advance,
Stuck in dope Jim

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 10:20:15 PM »
Beautiful model! I love construction threads with the final results!
Give us a flight report.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 05:36:56 AM »
Very nice indeed.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »
Mr.Tom,

Wow! She's a beauty. Can you go into detail on the finish?

Acrylic under the dope? Or dope to stick/seal the silk/tissue/covering with acrylic over the dope?
My curiosity is in regards to using acrylic paint, and how to fuel-proof it.

Thanks in advance,
Stuck in dope Jim

Thank you Jim for the nice comments

I am a care giver for my family  and really have to watch what I spend . So a few years ago I started mixing paint and went thru trial and error. I come up with using Du-Pont 3608 lacquer thinner and craft paint from Wal-Mart that cost 50 cents for 2 ounces......One gallon of thinner last me to do three airplanes. I wish one day to use all dope.....LOL....but.....I have to do it this way.  when spraying the paint the surface (this is super important) temperature has to be between 66 to 72 degrees to slow the drying process down so the thinner and acrylic can  chemically bond to surface

I use non-taughen butyrate to  seal the whole plane before coverings........then I use polyspan and silk span for coverings and apply them with taughten dope and put three coats on....then I use DC540 Napa primer paint which I sand off onto the floor

after all colors and details are on I clear coat three times with clear non- taughten dope

This works for me.....but ....this isn't for everyone I know.....but I get results to at least looks nice to the eye.....there is mistakes and it would probably get put on the back row of judging......

I just learned to spray clear coat before panel lines......next plane I will do that....never thought of doing that and nobody ever mention that to me.....so I have mistakes there

I got the kit from the beginner event that I placed third place in 2017 .......engine cost was 60 bucks (I had to jew for.....LOL) ........tank from old plane I had from a hand me down plane and the pushrod from Tom Morris which I will be able to do at least two planes ....maybe three.....wheels cost me 2 bucks from swap meet

All together I have 16 dollars for whole plane (not counting engine)

This is the fourth plane I have built since I got back into flying control line.......each plane gets better....so....I am on the right track

I am still a beginner pilot and hoping to win the Nats this year with the Hurricane

Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 08:49:47 AM »
Very nice indeed.

Thank you Crist......I have a Shrike wing of yours..... which is going to be on the table for next winter........I will keep you posted
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
Very Goog .

The Colours are pretty much Spot On .

Looks like it should fly a treat .

Thank you Matt.......I used Google......LOL.......spent a good couple hours browsing on the internet before I found the one I wanted
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »
Mr. Tom,

Walmart craft paint in two ounce cans? Please post a name brand or picture of the label of a representative couple. I crash and smash enough that your method may make salvaging planes do-able again...every time I crash one of my doped planes, I almost cry because I mix my colors in small batches on the fly from vintage (old) bottles of dope.

If you jump over to CoxEngineForum you can see repairs to my Black Hawk Mosquito. The guys over there tell me it now has "hard earned battle scars." I think the repairs look like #&+$$-$-@@!

Your paint selection can be purchased repeatedly and matched pretty closely as needed. A much better solution for a regular crasher like me.

Thanks for your details.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:53:21 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Flying Control Line Stunt
    • Flying Control Line Stunt
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:39 PM »
Very nice results Tom.  I especially like the underside of wing.

Charles Carter

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 10:05:35 PM »

Looks great Tom, should be a really good combo with the LA too.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »

Thank you Crist......I have a Shrike wing of yours..... which is going to be on the table for next winter........I will keep you posted

Please do!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 06:33:49 PM »

Hey Tom, I'm trying to recall, have you ever been to the Polk City, IA contest?

Wayne Willey

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »
Hey Tom, I'm trying to recall, have you ever been to the Polk City, IA contest?

yep.......I was just going to ask ya if ya are going this year......couldn't make it last year cause my father had a stroke and I am his caregiver.......I love the stretch out cartoon looking Nobler P-40......LOL  I had the Bi-directional flap system scratch built P-40.......I screwed up the finish and went WAY over the mark and then the flap system....so.....I put a 52 OS 4 stroke on it ....love flying it now.......Had Rachael give me the Don Still Stuku kit which I will be bringing to Polk City for to see......can't wait to go......thank you for compliment
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »
yep.......I was just going to ask ya if ya are going this year......couldn't make it last year cause my father had a stroke and I am his caregiver.......

Ok yeah, I was thinking we'd met before. You didn't miss a thing last year, the weather was really bad and I think most everything got cancelled. Us Minnesota guys had been watching the very unfavorable forecast and ended up not going at all. It was a tough last minute decision to skip out because Bob and the guys always put in a lot of work and run a great contest. Hoping all works out for this year, reservations are all made, see ya there!

Wayne Willey

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »
Mr. Tom,

Walmart craft paint in two ounce cans? Please post a name brand or picture of the label of a representative couple. I crash and smash enough that your method may make salvaging planes do-able again...every time I crash one of my doped planes, I almost cry because I mix my colors in small batches on the fly from vintage (old) bottles of dope.

If you jump over to CoxEngineForum you can see repairs to my Black Hawk Mosquito. The guys over there tell me it now has "hard earned battle scars." I think the repairs look like #&+$$-$-@@!

Your paint selection can be purchased repeatedly and matched pretty closely as needed. A much better solution for a regular crasher like me.

Thanks for your details.

At Wal-Mart craft section.......paint is Apple Barrel.....and it is in  little plastic bottle of 2 ounces

Then buy 3608S Carmax or Du-Ponte ......I get mine from Car Quest or Advance Auto........38 dollars.....it's cashy.....but it goes a long way

Squirt 1oz in container and then add 4oz of thinner.....shake the hell out of it let set for a minute.....open container and check how thick or thin it is and adjust accordingly  for your gun

I run 30psi in my 4oz ans 20oz gun and I use 15 psi for air brush

This paint sticks to surface but not as good as Dope .....so.....you do your base color coat and you test a spot with tape to see if it pulls your base coat off of surface.....if it does......just spray dust it with clear coat....then apply your masking....apply another color and then lock it down again with a dusting of clear coat

I learned that the surface temperature really makes a different in bonding to the surface .....cold the surface the longer it takes to dry and the thinner and paint melts onto surface ......but if you can't you will have to lock down with clear coat

My finish weight .......the highest was 8oz and lowest was 4.5oz.....my Hurricane came out 5.5oz

This craft paint is some really light weight @#$%........it is maybe more work.....but ....Can't afford the good stuff right now and I gotta do what I gotta do.....I think it turns out respectively good........

Hope this helps ya.......

Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
Brother, I'm so cheap I think we are spending out of the same wallet!

I will try this on a speed plane I'm building for a "Gentlemen's race" on CEF. I need a quick, cheap method for splashing color on a one time flight. This looks like a great test for the brand/application. Will it brush well enough?

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 09:51:11 PM »
Brother, I'm so cheap I think we are spending out of the same wallet!

I will try this on a speed plane I'm building for a "Gentlemen's race" on CEF. I need a quick, cheap method for splashing color on a one time flight. This looks like a great test for the brand/application. Will it brush well enough?

only use spray gun or air brush
Tom
AMA 1073788

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here