News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:45:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Think I let the magic smoke out!?!😫  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Think I let the magic smoke out!?!😫
« on: September 20, 2022, 12:01:02 PM »
I went to Maiden my new plane today. I’m not real sure what happen, but I think maybe the wet grass grabbed the wheel pants. The plane nosed over and the prop stopped on the ground, the plane tipped back down and started to roll out again only to nose over stopping the prop again. This time the pit man grabbed the plane and a big puff of smoke exited the cowl. It looked cool but had that bad electric smell. 😩

Setup:
Cobra motor
BA ESC

Question: should the ESC have shut down after the first prop strike?

PS the wheel pants are coming off. 🤬
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Re: Think I let the magic smoke out!?!😫
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 12:15:17 PM »
BEST to ask the folks at Bad Ass this question.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 12:23:00 PM »
what timer were you using?

Hubin timers do not have shut down in case of a prop strike

KR timers do have that function in case of a pop strike.

ask me how I know.

carl
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 08:36:00 AM by Carl Cisneros »
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 12:26:39 PM »
What was the over current setting?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Frank Donnelly

• 23 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 01:30:19 PM »
I don't see current limiting as a programable feature in the BA ESC manuals. As previously mentioned it would be best to check with the Inov8tive Designs. The Castle Phoenix Edge ESCs have a current limiting function. Also as previously mentioned the KR timer monitors the RPM and will shutdown if there is a prop strike. Hopefully the ESC was the only thing damaged.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 02:44:08 PM »
Called and spoke with the owner of BA. The ESC does not shut down for a prop strike. He said the new versions will have that feature. He said the Cobra and Tempest ESC’s did have that feature. I think I will be switching brands.
I just cooked a brand new motor. 🤬
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 04:05:37 PM »
That is such a basic function that I am surprised, this many years into electric, that every timer/esc marketed to the CL world doesn't have it.  I may be underestimating the complexity, but it seems like one line of code in the right place could trigger a shutdown. "if runtime > 2 and RPM < 50 then 'kill_it".  That is a legitimate line of code in Basic.  I am sure whatever language the timer/esc folks use has something similar.  Time to turn it on and minimum RPM can easily be stored parameters.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 04:20:20 PM »
Here's your chance to use a Castle Edge-Lite or Talon ESC.  You will get the over-current protection and gain the Hi-Governor function vs your existing Badass esc. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 05:28:11 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 06:39:49 PM »
Here's your chance to use a Castle Edge-Lite or Talon ESC.  You will get the over-current protection and gain the Hi-Governor function vs your existing Badass esc.

What Brent said!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 06:46:18 PM »
My first castle did the same thing and puffed smoke because I hadn't program ed the high voltage spike cutoff. Easy fix, but costly lesson.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 09:42:57 PM »
Thanks Brent

I am using 4s batteries. I don’t see a Edge-Lite that goes that small. I did see a Talon that is 4s.
What would you recommend?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 10:18:04 PM »
Thanks Brent

I am using 4s batteries. I don’t see a Edge-Lite that goes that small. I did see a Talon that is 4s.
What would you recommend?

I have a Cobra 2820 970kv, Castle Edge-Lite 50 ESC and Hubin FM-9 in High Governor mode, Thunder Power 4s2800, BadAss 11x6 wood prop. It only pulls 28amps holding on the ground at 9908 rpm.  (Hubin programmer box RPM setting) The attached picture shows the amp draw of this setup, running on the ground.

It's much more about amp draw, not necessarily number of cells in the selection of your ESC needs.  Each of the Castle ESC'S mentioned can handle 6 cells or more.
All of the Castle ESC's can be adjusted in the Castle-Link program to shut down as low as the stated amp rating of the ESC, i.e.  35, 50, 60 amps.  It's not as fool proof as a stopped rotor/prop function, but it should save itself from a meltdown in case of a nose over or similar event.

Talon 35 would probably cover my current needs and is lighter at only 1oz.

Edge Lite 50 if you want to data-log, and need that extra amp capacity. (2oz)
(I have run this same Edge-Lite 50 ESC on 6S TP2800 with a Cobra 3520 700kv motor & 12x6APC)

Talon 60, no data logging and is ready for any higher amp draw needs. (2oz)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 12:59:53 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 10:23:18 PM »

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 02:59:10 PM »
I have a Cobra 2820 970kv, Castle Edge-Lite 50 ESC and Hubin FM-9 in High Governor mode, Thunder Power 4s2800, BadAss 11x6 wood prop. It only pulls 28amps holding on the ground at 9908 rpm.  (Hubin programmer box RPM setting) The attached picture shows the amp draw of this setup, running on the ground.

It's much more about amp draw, not necessarily number of cells in the selection of your ESC needs.  Each of the Castle ESC'S mentioned can handle 6 cells or more.
All of the Castle ESC's can be adjusted in the Castle-Link program to shut down as low as the stated amp rating of the ESC, i.e.  35, 50, 60 amps.  It's not as fool proof as a stopped rotor/prop function, but it should save itself from a meltdown in case of a nose over or similar event.

Talon 35 would probably cover my current needs and is lighter at only 1oz.

Edge Lite 50 if you want to data-log, and need that extra amp capacity. (2oz)
(I have run this same Edge-Lite 50 ESC on 6S TP2800 with a Cobra 3520 700kv motor & 12x6APC)

Talon 60, no data logging and is ready for any higher amp draw needs. (2oz)

Thanks! Great info.
Points to ponder
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline redout

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 06:36:50 PM »
Not my idea, but I have often wondered if a fast-blow fuse in one of the battery wires could prevent burning out an expensive motor.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 06:46:47 PM »
I have gone completely with the KR timers because it protects agents prop strikes and also it works with a cheep ESC.  However be aware that during the first seconds of runtime the KR is ramping the motor up to full speed.  It checks to make sure there is a good working motor and then throttles back to a set RPM level.  During this runup time it is not protecting agents a prop strike.  SO if you are using a stooge or a helper to launch all is good because you can hear the motor drop back to set rpm level.  If you are flying by your self and let the aircraft launch at the end of startup delay you have a second or two of variability.  I fly on pavement so a noise over on takeoff is rare. So far with the KR timers I have not burnt out a motor or speed controller.  PS I have burnt out motors but that was my fault.  I found out the hard way that you can't run a setup on the ground for a long period of time with a full size prop.  Motor unloads and current draw goes down when the airplane launches.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 08:02:35 PM »
Not my idea, but I have often wondered if a fast-blow fuse in one of the battery wires could prevent burning out an expensive motor.

Back in my R/C sailplane days, that is exactly what we did. Motor control was mostly a simple on/off with a servo arm tripping a micro switch. There were some on/off electronic motor controls then. Simple enough because all we wanted was a good, fast climb out to altitude, maybe two, then shut down. Folding props were scarce and expensive, so to stop the prop in a specific horizontal position. I had a short length of plastic rod from a push rod set that would stop the prop where I wanted it. So to protect the motor and battery, we had as small a fuse as we could find, and also an arming plug to prevent accidental start ups.

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 05:20:48 PM »
It's tricky to get the fuse the right size.  Too big and it does no good. too small and it may trip at the wrong time.  Also fuses have resistance and therefore burn some power.  Added to all this it adds solder joints and weight.  This and many other reasons very few if anybody has a fuse in a stunt ship setup.  A much better solution is a KR timer or an ESC that has over current shutoff built in.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 11:33:37 PM »
John is correct in saying about my timers only shut down once the governor mode has kicked in, because my program needs to start measuring rpm in a stable mode. Therefore the model needs to be held on "not-so-great" grass until the rpm is high. It's not easy to shut down the motor on high current because the spikes in the hard corners are already high, so monitoring a sudden drop in the rpm is a good way that works very well. A fuse would be too slow to react.

If the grass is rough, then use a helper and just wait for the rpm to kick in. Use a stooge if flying alone anyway, to avoid the model deciding to take off while you're walking out to the handle. A simple stooge is easy to make for a grass field.

Keith R
Keith R

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here