News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:56:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The story of the "Senta a Pua" badge.  (Read 10513 times)

Offline elizio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
The story of the "Senta a Pua" badge.
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:34:25 AM »
It's the story of the "Senta a Pua" badge.
(traduction of Ferenc Zamolyi)

THE STORY OF THE “SENTA A PUA” BADGE

The 1st Fighter Group of the Brazilian Expeditionary Air Force on Italy had as its mascot and nose art a fighting ostrich with the motto “Senta a Pua”, representing the spirit of that unit – facing the enemy with proudly raised head and capable of gulping down anything in its stride, even the GI rations which were indeed very strange to Brazilian taste.
It is still in use today, as the squadron badge of the original 1st Fighter Group’s successor unit. The story behind it goes like this:

“The badge, portraying an athletic ostrich wearing a flyer’s kepi and holding a smoking handgun with its head proudly raised to the enemy fire, was designed by Flight Captain Fortunato Câmara de Oliveira, Commanding Officer of the 1st Fighter Group’s Blue Squadron, while en route from the port of Norfolk, Virginia to Livorno, Italy, during the 2nd half of September, 1944”.

Symbolism behind the badge –

Outer green/yellow rim – national colors of Brazil
The ostrich – speed and maneuverability of the fighter plane; also, the smart-alecks said, a reference to the pilot’s stomachs, capable of digesting the unfamiliar (to Brazilian taste, used to a traditional staple of rice, beans and steak) GI beverage provided at the front.
Kepi on ostrich’s head – Air Force pilot
Shield – the protection afforded to its pilots by the robustness of the P-47
Background in blue with stars – the sky of Brazil with the South Cross
Handgun – the firepower of the Thunderbolt
Cloud – the endless sky
Smoke and Shrapnel – enemy AAA (flak)
Red background – the blood shed by war pilots
Motto “Senta a Pua” – battle cry of the 1ºGAvCa (1st fighter Group)

The phrase “Senta a Pua” is quite untranslatable into English, as it is a popular (slang) saying in Brazil. Its approximate meaning would be something like “Hit’em Hard”.

I hope you like this short historic insight about the “Senta a Pua” moto, which surely will be seen in our P-47s at next years Nats.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The story of the "Senta a Pua" badge.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:11:38 PM »
Thank you for the information about "Senta a Pua". I'm probably not the only one that didn't know Brazil was an Ally during WWII, and provided a fighter squadron. I am surprised that the bird is said to be an Ostrich, which is an African native. The Emu would be more appropriate, but not that many would know what one is.  I have been up close to an Emu (it looked over my shoulder, I think looking for a snack) in Australia. They look the same, to me.

My ol' Dad was the pilot of the first Allied aircraft to land in Rome after the Germans withdrew. Our ground forces had not yet checked the runway for land mines, but he had no more gasoline. B-17, I assume. Maybe he got some fighter cover from "Senta a Pua"!  Later, he was a pilot of a B-17 flying back to the USA from Italy, via Belem, BR.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline elizio

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:23:19 AM »
The modelairplane...

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:32:29 AM »
Here is one of mine.
AMA 12366

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here