News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine for Umland Sakitumi  (Read 1830 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine for Umland Sakitumi
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
I am starting this build. I would like input on engines. Choices are Aerotiger .36 or Dixon LA .46. Span 55 1/2", length 39", wing area 621 sq", approx flying weight 38 to 42 oz. Thanks, Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine for Umland Sakitumi
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
I am starting this build. I would like input on engines. Choices are Aerotiger .36 or Dixon LA .46. Span 55 1/2", length 39", wing area 621 sq", approx flying weight 38 to 42 oz. Thanks, Mike

Either one of these engines will please you.  The Aerotiger is a lot more expensive and a little bit lighter (not important in that particular airplane).  The OS LA46 is a little more flexible to props and fuel.

Both will work very well in this case, or most cases for that matter.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
Diddo what Randy said.  H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »
Either one of these engines will please you.  The Aerotiger is a lot more expensive and a little bit lighter (not important in that particular airplane).  The OS LA46 is a little more flexible to props and fuel.

Both will work very well in this case, or most cases for that matter.

Randy Cuberly
 Thanks Randy, I should mention that I have one each of these engines NIB so cost is not an issue. This will be the first plane I have built specifically for flying the pattern and going to contests. I have only flown sport CL until now so any advice is welcome.  Regards, Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
  I would advise using the LA.46 while going through your learning curve. Learning to fly the pattern will also mean some crashing along the way, and the LA.46 will be easier to fix or replace. It will have plenty of power and as has been recounted a zillion times, is very user friendly and adaptable while going through the learning process. The Aerotiger is obviously a great engine, but is costlier. I would save it for a special project when you have reached a skill level and confidence level that you will know you will get it's best use out of it. You will have learned more about engines, tuning them and props also that will prove beneficial. They are both great engines, but are different, and you just want to use the right one for the job at hand, and that job will involve taking some unintended but almost certain abuse! We have all been there!
   Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
  I would advise using the LA.46 while going through your learning curve. Learning to fly the pattern will also mean some crashing along the way, and the LA.46 will be easier to fix or replace. It will have plenty of power and as has been recounted a zillion times, is very user friendly and adaptable while going through the learning process. The Aerotiger is obviously a great engine, but is costlier. I would save it for a special project when you have reached a skill level and confidence level that you will know you will get it's best use out of it. You will have learned more about engines, tuning them and props also that will prove beneficial. They are both great engines, but are different, and you just want to use the right one for the job at hand, and that job will involve taking some unintended but almost certain abuse! We have all been there!
   Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee
  Dan, I hadn't thought about wrecking while learning the pattern. It make sense to go with the less costly engine while learning. I am used to breaking combat planes, quite frequently. Thanks for the reply. Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
Ditto to what Mike and Dan said. I'd save the AT .36 for a Classic, personally. The great thing about the .46LA is that if you break it, you can shove a new one in there and fly it without any bench running...I give them one run on the ground in the plane and if all seems well, fly it. So far, that's worked out wonderfully with both .25LA and .46LA.

FWIW, I've been told that the 11x4.5 Thunder Tiger Cyclone prop works very well on the Aero Tiger .36...and also the .46LA. They're cheap (about $2) by the bag (6) from Tower Hobby, tho you need to look a little for that option. For a cheap prop, they're just amazingly good on a variety of .36 to .46 engines.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
La 46 for all of the above reasons, probably need the extra weight to balance too, if you can,  stick with the big rc style muffler   I use the  apc 12 4  narrow tip sport props,  even better  all around than  some of the cf props  that I have used over the years
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
 I have only flown sport CL until now so any advice is welcome.  Regards, Mike

😛Ok this is all in fun because Mike is a friend of mine. 

Not true!  Mike flew Beginner Stunt at our contest and took 1st place!   y1

Super nice guy and a good flyer. It will be good to watch his build and flying progress.

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »
Thanks, Paul. While its true I have flown beginner at 3 contests, all of them were with borrowed airplanes. If you hadn't offered me a plane at Memphis I wouldn't have flown. :)  So that being said I do consider myself  "new"to stunt. I figured it was time to show up with a stunt plane of my own and see where it takes me. I am hoping to hit 3 or 4 events next year. Thanks to everyone that replied, the LA .46 will be the powerplant. Now to find a coach in middle TN..........  Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »
Is this the same Mike that has that little red headed young man that is flying model planes and is driving the girls crazy with that smile of his??
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 10:07:05 AM »
Is this the same Mike that has that little red headed young man that is flying model planes and is driving the girls crazy with that smile of his??
  It is Doc, Samuel will be building some 1/2A plank wing Sterling kits with me this winter as well. He always want to work with me in the garage so I set up another kid sized work bench for him to fiddle around on. The only problem is he always stealing my tools. Its great having him by my side working on planes. Its exactly what I did with my dad.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 10:09:09 AM »
That is great,   remember he is not stealing, just borrowing.   Maybe Santa should help him out on the tool department. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here