News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Indestructable-destructable  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
The Indestructable-destructable
« on: September 01, 2006, 06:18:28 PM »
A while ago, I got some good advice from another C/L guy, he said to "just build a plane and fly it. dont worry about its looks, cause you will crash alot."

So I made this Cardinal, with a foam wing cause it was a fast build. I crashed it more times than I can count. I would have to guess at least 30 times this plane has hit the dirt. And not all were soft scraps. In fact, most were full power smacks. This airplane has made some impressive holes in the ground.

It has had two fueselages, the wing, the tail feathers and flaps were good enough to use on the rebuild. The original vertical stab lives on my ARF Cardinal. I made a new one for this second rebuild.

I guess I am amazed at the durability of the foam wing. In all the crashes, the wing has only begun to show signs of fatigue recently. Some epoxy cured the woes. Latly, I have been letting my friends try flying with this tough airplane. The wing finally let go on a 20ft high nose dive from a first time pilot. I was just happy he was willing to try it. I think he was relived when I laughed at the lawn dart he made. The wing is toast, but the rest of the plane will fly again. I will make another foam wing for it, and fly it once more.

Here are a couple pics....

the yellow and white is the second scheme, the black and yellow was its first. Some of you may have seen these before.....

It was great while it lasted,
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
Re: The Indestructable-destructable
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 07:54:05 PM »
Looks like you are having fun Greg.

Need to leave the ground alone though.  What did it ever do to you?   **)

Jay
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:06:47 AM »
You're on a learning curve Greg. Here is some advice.................Keep on doing what you're doing----you're  getting to be a better pilot all the time.

More advice............try hard to build each new plane better than the last- always start a new plane as soon as the latest one is off the table.

It's great that you're giving other guys a shot at flying your models. But PLEASE don't share your newest or best. Save those for our get togethers. **)
Frank Carlisle

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 07:09:47 AM »
Well Frank, Thanks, I got some good advice from some good guys. You have definatly helped speed my progress becoming a better pilot.  Its better to fly with friends, even if they dont fly themselves. I am lucky some of the guys at work show an intrest. We are planning on building some planes togather this winter, after hunting season.

Funny you mentioned them flying my good ones, they always pick out my good ones and say "I want to fly that one" joking. I reply, "haha NOT!"  So those will stay safe til we can get togather ourselves. I only do my best crashes for you.  ;D

And I think you would have liked the sound of this one going in, it sounded like a bone breaking. way cool :X

I am due back at the workbench.....

Greg

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 07:17:30 AM »
Sorry to see it go Greg.

I liked the Black one. Way cool.

Be sure to post pictures on the new one.

Take it easy
Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 08:56:59 AM »
Sorry to see it go Greg.

I liked the Black one. Way cool.

Be sure to post pictures on the new one.

Take it easy
Paul

I sure will Paul, it will sorta be the same plane, you think? The black one and the white one are the same wing, flaps, and horizontal, just a new fues. Next will be the same fues, tail feathers and flaps with a new wing, so it should still be the same airplane.  8) 

This plane had a long and happy time in the air/ground. This is the plane I told you about before Paul, its a tough airplane, and I think it flew good. It turned real tight, but would get sorta gawky on real sharp overhead stuff. But I could do the squares better with this than my ARF Cardinal.

I'll be working it this winter, got a couple other projects to finish first, includung that Dreadnaught.

more to come  %^

Greg  f~

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here