News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:56:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The greatest stunt ships that have never been published. Here's the List!  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I have (hopefully) attached a spreadsheet showing the results of my previous thread: "The greatest stunt ships that have never been published. Name your candidate!"

If you are one of the nominators (see the rightmost column) and I don't have your email, please send it to me by PM.  Also, let me know if I have any errors in this spreadsheet.

As you can see, there will be numerous steps to get these published and I am counting on you, the nominator, to help me out.  I have already been in touch with some of you and will get in touch with the rest as we go along.

One thing that is already obvious: this is going to take some time and patience and endurance.

Scott

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
I see the JD Falcon on this list.. it was published in April of 1961... not sure if it was MAN or American Aircraft Modeler... 

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Was the Second wind published?
Fred Q

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
I see the JD Falcon on this list.. it was published in April of 1961... not sure if it was MAN or American Aircraft Modeler...

I think the one on the list is JD Falcon 2

Doug
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
 Believe Gordan had two twins, one was called Two Much.
Was John Ds Jerseyman published?
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
Neptune by Jim Ebejer was #1 in the FM "Classic Stunt" series.  The text and drawings were done by Fred Carnes, and should have been published in '92 or '93.

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
My bad -- it was November 1994. The FM plan number is CF949.

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
Roland McDonald's "Strathmoor" (Detroit) stunter was published in the February 1959 issue of MAN.  The reduced-scale plan on page 13 indicated there was a full-sized plan available.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Thanks Steve.  I'll remove the Neptune from the list.

The Strathmore that had been nominated was the I-beam Strathmore, so that one stays.

Doug: yes, the JD Falcon on the list is the II version.

Gordon: the nominator only referenced a "twin" by Delaney.  Someone is going to have to provide some more specifics for us to move forward.  What are their names and which one is the one that we should pursue?

Fred: was the Second Wind a Hunt design?

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Thanks Steve.  I'll remove the Neptune from the list.

The Strathmore that had been nominated was the I-beam Strathmore, so that one stays.

Doug: yes, the JD

Gordon: the nominator only referenced a "twin" by Delaney.  Someone is going to have to provide some more specifics for us to move forward.  What are their names and which one is the one that we should pursue?

The Too-Much is the classic legal twin made famous by Gordan throughout the 60's and later at the VSC's. 

Gordan's modern twin is his Gemini.  It was yellow originally and it is now white.  Big plane that was very impressive and competitive.  Gordan campaigned the Gemini throughout the 90's.

I last saw it fly when it was still yellow in the mid 90's.  It's one of those memories I'll always remember.    I used to pit my 1/2a plane next to it and the size contrast was hilarious!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:06:21 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Thanks Brent.  I sent a PM to Dave Fitzgerald asking him which plane he was nominating.

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Brent, Mark`s twin and my twin was different. Mine had 1/2 in less cord.,Had shorter nacelles,Longer tail moment be 1 1/2 in. slimmer fuse, Different rudder. Also had retracts in it. But other than that I guest there the same?

Gordy

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Gordan's modern twin is his Gemini.  It was yellow originally and it is now white.  Big plane that was very impressive and competitive.  Gordan campaigned the Gemini throughout the 90's.

I watched stunt at a NW Regionals back then.  Gordy was flying his twin and got second.  Paul Walker won with a B-17.  It gave me the impression that the more engines, the better the stunt. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Reading above I spotted comment regarding JD Falcon. I never knew there was a JD Falcon II( two). What were differences between the two versions?
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline eric rule

• Commander
Scott;

Thanks for publishing the list. A great service to your fellow modelers!

Just a couple of notes to help (not to complain in any way).

RSM kits the Neptune and the Dill Chipmunk. We also offer Gordan Delaney's Twin Pathfinder in kit form.

Eric

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
Reading above I spotted comment regarding JD Falcon. I never knew there was a JD Falcon II( two). What were differences between the two versions?

Lyle : I have reason to believe that the JD Falcon II was a "one - off". John D'Ottavio penciled it in early 1968 and I commenced with the build later that year.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Scott;

Thanks for publishing the list. A great service to your fellow modelers!

Just a couple of notes to help (not to complain in any way).

RSM kits the Neptune and the Dill Chipmunk. We also offer Gordan Delaney's Twin Pathfinder in kit form.

Eric

Thanks Eric:

So now you can claim that two of your kits (the Chipmunk and the Neptune) were nominated to the list of the Greatest Stunt Ships that have never been published.  But, of course, they can no longer be on the list since you are "publishing" them in kit form.   ;D

By the way, what was originally nominated was "a twin by Delaney".  I never have heard back which twin it was.  Based on your kitting it, the Twin Pathfinder must not be it.  I guess we'll narrow it down eventually.

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Lyle : I have reason to believe that the JD Falcon II was a "one - off". John D'Ottavio penciled it in early 1968 and I commenced with the build later that year.

Frank: we need a picture.  Please!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Scott :

I've got one or two that I will try to locate and scan. The late  Don Shultz "Shultzie" took one at the 69 Willow Grove NATS. 
Check out the tiny photo of me fueling it in the upper left corner. I'll find a larger one and post.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Here's a photo of Frank with his Falcon II at the 1969 Nats. By the way, he flew Stunt there, but also flew in the senior Combat event... and won!

Bob Hunt

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Classic-looking stunt ship!  Thanks Bob!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Bob :
Thanks for locating this.

Frank

P.S. - Now if you can locate that 18 year old guy...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here