News:

• May 14, 2024, 06:05:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Never had this happen before.  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Never had this happen before.
« on: December 30, 2023, 01:22:15 PM »
I also posted this in paint and finishing but wanted to make sure I got the topic covered.

I have been covering with polyspan for years and never had his happen.  I made sure the slick/shiney side was up when I covered the wing.  I filled it with dope and filled it as always.  Did not have any fuzzies at all.  When I have the covering filled adequately with dope, I put it on the paint stand and sprayed on a light coat of Klass Kote white and had fuzzies appearing everywhere.  I think my only solution at this point is when the paint is dry, to wet sand with a fine grit paper.  I have never had to do this so my question is what grit should I use to wet sand, 1000, 1500, 2000??? 

Thanks
Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 08:50:00 AM by Mike Griffin »

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Never had this happen before.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 09:16:31 AM »
I's let it dry for five days then start with the 1000 and go from there. Can you say RPITA? LL~ LL~
Ty Marcucci

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 09:58:40 AM »
I's let it dry for five days then start with the 1000 and go from there. Can you say RPITA? LL~ LL~

Yeah Ty it sure is.  Have no idea why this happened but I screwed something up somewhere along the line.  Thank you.

Mike

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 10:35:14 AM »
My first thought is that you wiped the plane a rag that left lint on the surface. I don’t think the Polyspan is the problem

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 11:19:40 AM »
My first thought is that you wiped the plane a rag that left lint on the surface. I don’t think the Polyspan is the problem

Dan I guess that is possible.  I used a tack cloth initially, then a damp, not wet, micro fiber cloth after that and then just let it air dry before I applied the paint.  I will try and wet sand it out but I will have to be very careful because every cap strip was affected.
Right now I am just trying to determine the best way to fix it or just let it go and not worry about it.  I think the only option I have at this point would be to wet sand it with fine grade sandpaper, somewhere between 1000 to 2000 grit,  I know one thing, it is going to be a lot of work and for a small profile, I do not know if it will be worth the time and effort.

Mike

Offline Marty Hammersmith

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 11:36:38 AM »
Being a small profile, if it bothers you so much, maybe just pull it off and try again?
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 12:18:43 PM »
Funny you should ask.  I had the exact thing happen about 4 years ago in my pre monokote days with a microfiber rag.  They catch on every little thing instead of smoothing them out.  Last time I polyspanned I lightly dry sanded it with 1000 BEFORE the first coat.  Them little whiskers stand up when heated.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 02:47:03 PM »
Dan I guess that is possible.  I used a tack cloth initially, then a damp, not wet, micro fiber cloth after that and then just let it air dry before I applied the paint.  I will try and wet sand it out but I will have to be very careful because every cap strip was affected.
Right now I am just trying to determine the best way to fix it or just let it go and not worry about it.  I think the only option I have at this point would be to wet sand it with fine grade sandpaper, somewhere between 1000 to 2000 grit,  I know one thing, it is going to be a lot of work and for a small profile, I do not know if it will be worth the time and effort.

Mike
Tack rag is the last step before product.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 05:26:05 PM »
Probably fly better with fuzzy wings.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 02:37:19 PM »
I solved the problem.  I wet sanded lightly with 400 grit.  Then went back over it and wet sanded it again with 1500 grit.  Took all the fuzzies away and now I can proceed with the Klass Kote.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here