News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 'Epitome' Stunt project.  (Read 1988 times)

Offline John Carrodus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
The 'Epitome' Stunt project.
« on: March 20, 2022, 02:02:16 PM »
Now that the rains have started here in Sub Tropical Auckland Ha! A 'What if ' question, one I'm sure has gone through many folks minds over the years. ( another flash and window rattling "Kaboom!")

The Mission
                                       To design and build the ultimate word in IC control line stunt

Since NOT much under the sun is new, lets assume we are assembling the best bits from the best so far. (Or new if you have a better idea! )

What motor?
What wing, tailplane, fus, undercarriage, construction materials, methods and finish, target weight and line length etc.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The 'Epitome' Stunt project.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 03:22:24 PM »
Now that the rains have started here in Sub Tropical Auckland Ha! A 'What if ' question, one I'm sure has gone through many folks minds over the years. ( another flash and window rattling "Kaboom!")

The Mission

Since NOT much under the sun is new, lets assume we are assembling the best bits from the best so far. (Or new if you have a better idea! )

What motor?
What wing, tailplane, fus, undercarriage, construction materials, methods and finish, target weight and line length etc.

That has been contemplated and tried more times than Carter's has little liver pills! I have always said a stunt model is the sum of all it's parts. They all have to work well together and compliment the pilot. Then it all kind of boils down to the nut on the handle! You could take the best components, as you describe, and assemble them into model, and then put it in different hands and you will see varying results. I think the time is best spent determining what you like best and understand the best, and then just working with it to refine it to get your best result. Some guys can fly the boxes that the kits come it! The rest of us just really have to work at it.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 03:53:37 PM »
                                                                         The Mission
And then convert it to Electric and make it better! LL~

I doubt that you are ever going to get a consensus on even the basics like wing area.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 04:36:53 PM »
Yes, given - the capability of the operator is a major factor. My inquiry though is about the equipment for eg  Why do skeet shooters prefer some guns over others ( taking out emotional factors), or which was the better WWII fighter, the P51 or the
FW190? as egs of what I'm chasing here. Progress depends on human abilities but is not by itself the only X factor(s) That make that sweet special combination of magic ingredients which lead to that greater thing much larger than the sum of its parts.
   So-  Question rephrased            What are the (non human) factors for the Epitome stunter?

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 04:57:25 PM »
I asked the same thing 5 years ago and what I found was, this is a pyramid that has a dull point.

There are a set of numbers but each one has a fairly big range of possibilities. I couldn't point to one thread or post where this is comprehensively revealed.

You could search on here for each individual part of the plane and learn the nature, size/shape ect and get a good picture of what you can do to build a successful plane, a daunting task.

Ultimately, I just copied TunderGazer and made it a bit smaller because I can fly smaller planes better. A world champ once told me, "The best stunt plane is the one that's best for you".

Wishing you fun with your design work,

Motorman 8)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 05:02:24 PM »
A lot of those things are the choice /opinion of the user based on their own experience and beliefs to a degree.  If you stay within a certain set of parameters you can make a lot of things work acceptably provided you also take the time to work through the process of flying and trimming the airplane.  What doesn't work very well is hoping to mix various airplanes to create something 'special'.  You are better off choosing something that is already known to fly well and simply work with it to achieve the best trim and power adjustments and learn how to fly it very well.  If your goal is to compete well,  it isn't a perfect design-it's plenty of hard work with proven ideas and equipment.  A lot of time can be wasted trying to lay golden eggs. (IMO).  If there was a 'perfect' formula every airplane flown in the Top 20 would look and be the same.  They don't and aren't.  Thank goodness for that!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 05:10:37 PM »

What motor?

Everybody else has already done this project - and everyone came up with a different answer. I can only answer for myself - not mentioning anyone's pet project is not intended as an insult.

I would start by studying the best of the current airplanes, what is both right and wrong with them, and presume that we are at the end stage of engine-powered development.

Engines are a no-brainer, PA75 as David has them set up, or RO-Jett 61 BSE "Brett Version", set up as described a million times. The PA obviously has more power, I think I like the way the Jett responds in the wind (when it is running right - unlike the last two NATs) and is less prone to the "unexpected break" issue. A third choice would be a 40VF, but I think the really thick wing models want more.

Airplanes - for either of these it's worth looking at the Infinity, Trivial Pursuit/Star Gazer, the Impact, the Thundergazer, and both versions of the Diva. While I obviously have had a lot of good success with the Infinity, and have watched a lot of winning flights from the Trivial Pursuit, I think both of them (since they were designed along the same ideas we gleaned at a Thanksgiving dinner in about 1990 between Ted, Keith Trostle, and me) have wings that are excessively thick.

I think what is *right* about them is the relatively low aspect ratio wing and very low aspect ratio tail, which is the key to the way the turn and track. I think the Impact is on the edge of too large for most people's building skills - my successor IC airplane would have been an Infinity, same planform, with an Impact airfoil. That would get me less drag and more dependence and control over the response using the engine setup, with (hopefully) not the super-sensitive trim adjustments like the real Impact. That was also the goal of the Infinity, but I think both Ted and I way overdid it with the wing thickness, using 4-2 break era idea of parasitic drag to hold back the power, not fully appreciating the ability to control the engine, and how repeatable they would be.

The only other approach I would look at is the Diva, and the Skinny Diva. These take the idea of "controlled by the engine/motor" to the ultimate by reducing the parasitic drag to a minimum. In that case, it brings the 40VF back into the mix, as by far the easiest to deal with and would be killer in such a thin-wing airplane, having pinpoint control over the power delivery and dead-nuts predictable. The Trivial Pursuit, Infinity, and Impact were all designed around this engine to start with, and it is *very hard to argue* with a Impact/40VF just based on the record. I have flown all of them with a 40VF, but the Trivial Pursuit and Infinity definitely benefit from the extra power.

A completely untried approach, that a lot of us have talked about (only talked, obviously) is a much smaller design for a 25LA or FP, maybe, 400 square inches version of the Infinity - Infinity Jr. All the above airplanes are big-boy planes that sometimes require big-boy muscles to handle in any sort of a wind. We have numerous examples of cases were we were "out-muscled" in bad conditions, like me at the 2021 NATs (where I had some trim and engine setup problems) and David at the 2021 Golden state when he missed his bias point by maybe 15 feet. I look at the trivial ease at which I could pick up the Skyray 35 and go out and drill 5 feet like a pool table on the very first flight in years, maybe you could do that and solve the few real weaknesses (like poor cornering in certain parts of the pattern). I am not at all concerned about "presentation" or other pseudo-competition ideas, if it works better I figure I would get a better score.

None of this is suggesting that you couldn't get "good enough" using some other design approaches, or other engines, but this is what *I* would do. The only thing I think you should avoid are 60's style gigantic 4-2 break engine designs and approaches. That is a complete dead end as far as I am concerned, something we moved on from long ago.

Brett   

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 06:26:29 PM »
Thank you all. Bret I am very grateful and humbled by your depth of wisdom, knowledge and experience. The Force is strong indeed in you!! I see I have many Mt Everests of my own to climb. I am still in the foothills and you guys have given me a compass to steer by. My question looming now is...Are those mountains larger than my allotted time and ability to climb them? One would be heaven , the other hell! I'm a cosmic optimist.
Many thanks 

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 06:41:59 PM »
I am curious why you specified IC?  As Brett mentioned, we have gone about as far as we can go with IC and electric, as we are finding out, is a different animal.  Many of our best have been electric for long enough that this topic might be more enlightening and draw more participation if it included electric since I don't think any of us have exhausted electric's potential yet, but it is your thread and if IC is what you want, that is what we should discuss.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »
Thank you all. Bret I am very grateful and humbled by your depth of wisdom, knowledge and experience. The Force is strong indeed in you!! I see I have many Mt Everests of my own to climb. I am still in the foothills and you guys have given me a compass to steer by. My question looming now is...Are those mountains larger than my allotted time and ability to climb them? One would be heaven , the other hell! I'm a cosmic optimist.
Many thanks

Excellence is a journey, not a destination.

Brett

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 07:09:00 PM »
    Everybody else has already done this project - and everyone came up with a different answer. I can only answer for myself - not mentioning anyone's pet project is not intended as an insult.

I would start by studying the best of the current airplanes, what is both right and wrong with them, and presume that we are at the end stage of engine-powered development.

Engines are a no-brainer, PA75 as David has them set up, or RO-Jett 61 BSE "Brett Version", set up as described a million times. The PA obviously has more power, I think I like the way the Jett responds in the wind (when it is running right - unlike the last two NATs) and is less prone to the "unexpected break" issue. A third choice would be a 40VF, but I think the really thick wing models want more.

Airplanes - for either of these it's worth looking at the Infinity, Trivial Pursuit/Star Gazer, the Impact, the Thundergazer, and both versions of the Diva. While I obviously have had a lot of good success with the Infinity, and have watched a lot of winning flights from the Trivial Pursuit, I think both of them (since they were designed along the same ideas we gleaned at a Thanksgiving dinner in about 1990 between Ted, Keith Trostle, and me) have wings that are excessively thick.

I think what is *right* about them is the relatively low aspect ratio wing and very low aspect ratio tail, which is the key to the way the turn and track. I think the Impact is on the edge of too large for most people's building skills - my successor IC airplane would have been an Infinity, same planform, with an Impact airfoil. That would get me less drag and more dependence and control over the response using the engine setup, with (hopefully) not the super-sensitive trim adjustments like the real Impact. That was also the goal of the Infinity, but I think both Ted and I way overdid it with the wing thickness, using 4-2 break era idea of parasitic drag to hold back the power, not fully appreciating the ability to control the engine, and how repeatable they would be.

The only other approach I would look at is the Diva, and the Skinny Diva. These take the idea of "controlled by the engine/motor" to the ultimate by reducing the parasitic drag to a minimum. In that case, it brings the 40VF back into the mix, as by far the easiest to deal with and would be killer in such a thin-wing airplane, having pinpoint control over the power delivery and dead-nuts predictable. The Trivial Pursuit, Infinity, and Impact were all designed around this engine to start with, and it is *very hard to argue* with a Impact/40VF just based on the record. I have flown all of them with a 40VF, but the Trivial Pursuit and Infinity definitely benefit from the extra power.

A completely untried approach, that a lot of us have talked about (only talked, obviously) is a much smaller design for a 25LA or FP, maybe, 400 square inches version of the Infinity - Infinity Jr. All the above airplanes are big-boy planes that sometimes require big-boy muscles to handle in any sort of a wind. We have numerous examples of cases were we were "out-muscled" in bad conditions, like me at the 2021 NATs (where I had some trim and engine setup problems) and David at the 2021 Golden state when he missed his bias point by maybe 15 feet. I look at the trivial ease at which I could pick up the Skyray 35 and go out and drill 5 feet like a pool table on the very first flight in years, maybe you could do that and solve the few real weaknesses (like poor cornering in certain parts of the pattern). I am not at all concerned about "presentation" or other pseudo-competition ideas, if it works better I figure I would get a better score.

None of this is suggesting that you couldn't get "good enough" using some other design approaches, or other engines, but this is what *I* would do. The only thing I think you should avoid are 60's style gigantic 4-2 break engine designs and approaches. That is a complete dead end as far as I am concerned, something we moved on from long ago.

Brett

Its nice knowing that, after reading this, I’m on the right track on where I’m thinking of heading for the next airplane. My current one is spectacular but I have ideas to try and evolve it…
Matt Colan

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 07:12:00 PM »
Its nice knowing that, after reading this, I’m on the right track on where I’m thinking of heading for the next airplane. My current one is spectacular but I have ideas to try and evolve it…

Going from a Ferrari to a Fiat Matt?

Craig
Ps. It is a very beautiful plane!
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 08:27:00 PM »
"Going from a Ferrari to a Fiat Matt?"

I did that 47 years ago!
And I'm still switching back and forth between the two.
149 thousand on the FIAT and 204 thousand on the Ferrari.
Two of the most reliable cars I've ever owned - and I've owned MANY!

Bob Z.

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 08:29:47 PM »
Bret  concur.
The first part of your comment is the Heaven.................

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 09:20:05 PM »
Going from a Ferrari to a Fiat Matt?

Craig
Ps. It is a very beautiful plane!

Hopefully it’ll go from an F2003 to an F2004 in capabilities  S?P

Thank you!
Matt Colan

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 07:21:35 AM »
Mr. Carrodus...I will give you an opinion, just MY own (minimalist) personal one:

*Build an IMPACT or a TRIVIAL PURSUIT, the one you like the most.
*Build it DEAD STRAIGHT and keep the weight UNDER 63 ounces (ready to fly)
*Install a SUPER TIGER 60 or a PA 61, piped (or an electric equivalent if you want...)
*Practice untill you BLEED!

You will see!

Later,
Claudio  H^^

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »
Ken- I must reply to your question -Why IC?
        I love the sound, smell, feel.
        They say machinery does not have a soul.
         All my IC models have a heart and personality of their own.
         Like our species, some are great, some are bloody tricky!
         Love em all!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 10:11:47 AM »
Each of us has talent to do things.  Some better than others.  I've watched guys/gals go out and put up many flights in one day after spending countless hours building the plane of with equivalent power.   Also I seen guys/gals put in very few flights after many years of practice and coaching do well.  I my self and I have several people tell me that my first flight of the day is usually my best and I det worse as the flights go on.  My brother used to tell me I could not stay focust.  Besides age I have also lost the urge to win at all cost.   So I hope all you guys/gals will do what works for you even though you may never haver have the drive or talent to reach your goals. D>K H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2022, 10:49:00 AM »
Ken- I must reply to your question -Why IC?
        I love the sound, smell, feel.
        They say machinery does not have a soul.
         All my IC models have a heart and personality of their own.
         Like our species, some are great, some are bloody tricky!
         Love em all!
I too miss having an engine for the same reasons you stated but, my top love is flying the pattern and to that end the engine/motor is just another part of the plane.

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2022, 11:30:42 AM »
At the price of fuel, spark ignition should be an option. I have been flying them for the last 20 years, and with the new components we have now the weight of a few ounces should not be a factor. They run steady through the whole flight, produce plenty of usable power, and any engine can be converted fairly easy. Sounds like going backwards, but not with modern technology.

The fuel does nothing to finishes. With 2 stroke oil it cleans off with a paper towel. Takes half as much so tanks could be smaller. If I was a bit younger I would develop it just to prove it as a viable alternative. Not sure how it would work with a pipe, but do not know why it would not.

Good fuel is only going get higher. A gallon of white gas is around $8.00, and about $5.00 to $6.00 for a quart of stroke oil which gives twice as much flying time as fuel.

The only down side is more components make it less reliable. But I have hours and hours of flying without a problem.

But, I guess as long as people have money to go to contests fuel cost is not that big a deal unless you burn lots of fuel over the season like I use to do. The price of gasoline is now going to be more of factor as it continues to climb. Even for getting to a field to fly. I was driving over 50 miles round trip to fly at the closest club field. It is an RC club field but has a control line circle with concrete pads for take off and the center of the circle. The rest is buffalo grass which is kept pretty short. Anyway, just thinking out loud.
Jim Kraft

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 12:00:36 PM »
At the price of fuel, spark ignition should be an option. I have been flying them for the last 20 years, and with the new components we have now the weight of a few ounces should not be a factor. They run steady through the whole flight, produce plenty of usable power, and any engine can be converted fairly easy. Sounds like going backwards, but not with modern technology.

The fuel does nothing to finishes. With 2 stroke oil it cleans off with a paper towel. Takes half as much so tanks could be smaller. If I was a bit younger I would develop it just to prove it as a viable alternative. Not sure how it would work with a pipe, but do not know why it would not.

Good fuel is only going get higher. A gallon of white gas is around $8.00, and about $5.00 to $6.00 for a quart of stroke oil which gives twice as much flying time as fuel.

The only down side is more components make it less reliable. But I have hours and hours of flying without a problem.

But, I guess as long as people have money to go to contests fuel cost is not that big a deal unless you burn lots of fuel over the season like I use to do. The price of gasoline is now going to be more of factor as it continues to climb. Even for getting to a field to fly. I was driving over 50 miles round trip to fly at the closest club field. It is an RC club field but has a control line circle with concrete pads for take off and the center of the circle. The rest is buffalo grass which is kept pretty short. Anyway, just thinking out loud.
Jim I’ve thought that could be a decent alternative, especially since it appears glow plugs may go extinct.  I’ve scrounged about 150 plugs but that doesn’t solve the general problem.  I might find someone who can convert a RO Jett and see what happens...

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 01:23:23 PM »
Jim I’ve thought that could be a decent alternative, especially since it appears glow plugs may go extinct.  I’ve scrounged about 150 plugs but that doesn’t solve the general problem.  I might find someone who can convert a RO Jett and see what happens...

Dave

I think too, that a well controlled spark ignition would be an important part of that hypothetical ideal engine for our use. But, instead of gasoline, I'd stick with methanol and the usual oil percentage; you'll have to lubricate & cool the engine too, especially the bottom end. The ideal engine  metallurgy for our use, you can copy from my work. And, with spark ignition there is usually no need for nitro.
The electronic ignition should be controlled by something similar to Igor's timer. I think all the necessary bits are readily available, we'd just need someone smart enough to put it all together. And I think we'd also need a rule change. L

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 03:36:49 PM »
And I think we'd also need a rule change.
Why a rule change?  What is the difference in a timer controlling the RPM of an electric and the spark of a slimer fuel engine?  Maybe you were thinking of something else.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 05:11:03 PM »
Yes I'm not sure unless there is something in FAI that I'm not thinking about.  I think it would be the same as another "project" I haven't got all together yet into an airplane to work with.  I had Dub Jett make me a sort of throttle valve for a RO Jett .61-.76.   I had Igor make me  a couple timers and accelerometers to operate the throttle valve in a manner similar to electric.  I don't see any advantage with the .76 but could be useful on the .61 in the same size airplane.   It's all there, just need to get it done.  The idea is the same and any rules would seemingly apply as well.
I hadn't thought about the fuel but good thinking Lauri.  The ingredients, less nitro, are not expensive and readily available.  I think it was Evo who came out recently with an ignition engine or two in the .52 size range.  I'd like to see about the electronic module they made for it.

Dave

Did we take this thread off course?  My apologies.
AMA 20934

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 05:56:12 PM »

Design and build whatever you want, you're still going to have to get past Joe Gilbert and his Ringmaster.  :##
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2022, 08:12:22 PM »
Great ideas guys. I have really enjoyed this discussion and learned a lot. Thank you. Gerald Wimmer and I were discussing the future of shortages in glow plugs, fuel etc. We touched on gas /spark conversion. I think it's a good rabbit hole to dive into. I think a tuned pipe set up would be fine too. I know Gerald is beginning to toss the ignition stuff about in his already crammed head.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 08:52:36 PM »
What motor?  What wing, tailplane, fus, undercarriage, construction materials, methods and finish, target weight and line length etc.

Motor: If we start converting the hundreds of available glow engines to spark, it takes another 30+ years to figure out the “best” one.  My goal would be to use the .37 or .55 from Mike Goes Flying that already run on gasoline.  Right?

Wing/Tailplane/Fus/Undercarriage:  Impact.  Or Nobler.  Or what Brett said.  Personally I would like to do it with a modern biplane just to prove it can be done.

Construction Materials:  NO BALSA.  If you, me, or the next guy to enter the hobby, can’t walk into the LHS and buy all the wood necessary, of the “epitome” of density, then it must be built with ZERO or very little balsa.  Foam core wing probably.  Fiberglass skin or wrapped in paper and painted.  Same for the fuselage.  Phil Cartier (Core House) uses a foam core fuselage in his Gotcha Streak.  Alternative: foam board from the 99-cent store.  There’s a guy on social media that makes huge RC wings out of $10 in materials.  We should try it.

Methods: already covered (pun intended?).  Vacuum bagging has produced wings FAR better than anything we need, just take a look at some modern gliders.  I’ll bet we could laminate a few layers of 99-cent foam board, with a layer of stiffener on each side (carbon veil? brown Kraft paper?) then fiberglass it or Monokote it.  Should make a light but strong fuselage, either profile or full fuse.

Finish:

Target Weight:  It should weigh between 2x to 3x what the engine weighs (that was a joke).  Who knows?  I’ve never seen a formula for how much a finished model should weigh.  All of the opinions / guesses are based on trial and error and historical data.  So Impact / Nobler / What Brett says and build it light and strong.

Line Length:  All the way from the handle to your airplane.  Any shorter and you’ll have problems.  But seriously, line length depends on the airframe.  35-foot if your Epitome is a 1/2A and 70-foot if it’s a Brodak Sweeper.  Any other design and the lines will be somewhere in between.

Good luck with the experiment Mr. Carrodus.

PW

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2022, 09:04:22 PM »
Paul. This stuff just gets better and better! You have me fired up over several interesting comments. Many thanks. I love the idea of messing with foam and cardboard, never tried it. I am very keen to get into this idea!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2022, 09:48:31 PM »
Vacuumed bagged brown paper with or without ‘glass layers is very light and stronger than balsa. I detailed the technique in Model Airplane News. Look up “Brown baggers don’t only do lunch”
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2022, 12:00:05 AM »
Why a rule change?  What is the difference in a timer controlling the RPM of an electric and the spark of a slimer fuel engine?  Maybe you were thinking of something else.

Ken

I said I think, because I'm really not sure. I haven't read the rules (FAI) for ages. Last time I checked, there was much more liberties for engine control for electric than IC. L

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2022, 07:15:48 AM »
Motorman
I have taken your suggested path and combined the various bits and pieces from several planes.I am about to start the full size plans. Rough ...I mean rough pic below .
Thank you all
John

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2022, 08:19:47 AM »
That's one fine looking plane!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2022, 09:38:45 PM »
I think the Impact is on the edge of too large for most people's building skills…

It’s too large for my building skills.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2022, 08:00:01 AM »
Vacuumed bagged brown paper with or without ‘glass layers is very light and stronger than balsa. I detailed the technique in Model Airplane News. Look up “Brown baggers don’t only do lunch”

Looked for your article and couldn't find it.  Very interested.  Do you have a copy?
Jim Vigani

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here