News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:43:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Brodak T-Rex Lives  (Read 26085 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: The Brodak T-Rex Lives
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2007, 10:32:34 PM »
Brad,

>>Not to pick, but John does not make any higher percentage on ARF's than he does on kits .  Just so you know he sells everything at the same markup.<<

Doesn't really matter if he does (I have no idea). If he charged 10 times the markup for ARFs, that's his business. He can do what he wants. It's his business. As a customer, I would make the decision if the price was worth it to me and make my purchasing decisions accordingly. But pricing is the seller's decision. I have no problem with whatever business decisions Brodak decides to make. It's his business.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
ARF, ARC, RTF, kit built, and scratch built.  I fly them all.  Currently building the Umland Colossus and after that will assemble and cover a TMQB.  I am on the list for the new G. Nobler componet kit, but will be scratch building a Ringmaster 576 too.

The motors I use range anywhere from old McCoy 40s I rebuild into Hybrids, to ready made and tuned PAs purchased from Randy.

I guess I am trying to say that I am very diverse in what I buy and fly.  I love the laser cut kits, especially Walter's, and I love the new ARFs, ARCs, and compent kits.  To everyone who produces equipment for the sport I love, thanks.  Keep up the good work.

Brad, do not get discouraged.  Your T-Rex is looking good and will be a hit.  Do you have any other designs that you are working on? 
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2007, 11:58:42 PM »
Brad,
whether or not it is my "style" whether or not I will purchase and fly one, whether or not I will complain or even comment about whether it meets BOM or not, I commend you for your efforts, it looks to be a quality piece. people drive Fords, Chevys, and foreign cars, its a matter of taste. Having designed my own planes, most recent, my 109, I appreciate the amount of effort it takes to desing and build a competative plane. to do it with an eye for mass market( or niche market ) is a step above.
congrats, you have accomplished something here that some people only dream they can do. keep on keepin on,
oh and please change the rudder  y1 ;D
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 06:01:07 AM »
Do you have any other designs that you are working on? 

Yes, I do!!!  I am pushing every day to get more through the que.

I have another design called the Sirius.  It is a complete rework of my Solace design.  Should be kewl!!!

BTW, the Solace is covered in mylar and was painted.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Eric Viglione

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:39 AM »
I've been following this thread with interest. Not only because I like Brad's designs, but I think Brad's enthusiasm for what he is doing is infectious. But Brad old buddy, you made one mistake, you made too much noise, you are far too happy, positive and optimistic for some people.

It's kinda like when grumpy old farts call the cops on kids flying C/L at a school yard, they just can't stand young people having fun and making noise, it reminds them that they are old and no longer in charge so they have to flex their muscles and show a little authority and call the cops to throw them out, then push to make new city ordinances to keep them out of flying in schoolyards.

Good job on the TRex, keep on making noise and having fun!  H^^
EricV

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 07:41:57 AM »
Don't let the curmudgeons bug you Brad, that thing is totally cool!

A thought to the spinner crowd.  Brad commented on planes like the F4U and the P-47, but don't forget many radial engine planes did have spinners, and looked totally cool, like the FW-190, early Helldiver, even the first Hellcat had a spinner.  Having the "radial" style front end just means you don't have to wrestle with the ARF front end and the typically metric  OD of the ARC planes spinner rings.  Just put whatever spinner you want on it and go.

I did a spinner on a little Brodak Mauler kit one time, and it both totally enhanced the looks of the model, and gave me that protection if I decided to pile my plane straight in.

Don't forget that one of Brad's most important statements in this thread (that seems to have been overlooked in the effort to excoriate him for the covering), is attention to detail.!!!  I would MUCH rather have a component kit plane that I didn't have to fix 100 aggravating small issues!, than the coolest looking plane that had the fuselage break in half because the Chinese used communist glue to assemble it.  Oh, and another thing for the guys who don't like the looks.  Maybe there will be more designs?  Something for everybody?  I can't wait to see what comes out next.   y1
Steve

Offline gary tultz

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 09:11:44 AM »
What Bill said. And in two known cases,actually WON the NATS. ---The Rainman. y1

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 09:34:24 AM »
My 2 cent worth.
 I wil probably purchase one and fly again. I love it. Keep up the good work Brad.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 09:43:40 AM »
Steve,

What is Communist Glue?? LL~ LL~ 

That comment made me laugh!!! 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 11:04:09 AM »
My 2 cent worth.
 I wil probably purchase one and fly again. I love it. Keep up the good work Brad.

That would be great.

Dick, what is that plane is your avatar?  I like the fin.

The nose on the T-Rex is actually more like a WW1 plane I saw in the Great Waldo Pepper.  I am still working on the nose.  It is a work in progress.  Heck, all it was before was a CAD plan, now its a plane.  How cool is that?  Its friggin' awesome!!!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:35:00 AM by Bradley Walker »
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
That would be great.

Dick, what is that plane is your avatar?  I like the fin.

Brad,

That is an AT-6 Texan.

Think "Akrobat"  for the rudder.  Straight up LE and curved TE to match the curve on the read of the fuse with a flat top.  Could be tall with rounded off corners.  That is what I think would look great!  Just my .02 on it. 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 11:46:29 AM »

I like this.  I may have to try it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2007, 01:10:34 PM »
Absolutely neat, I like the T-Rex will definitely give it a go.
Also, I get to fly this SNJ next week. Kind of an early Christmas present from my wife!
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2007, 02:20:01 PM »
I am glad you like it Ty.

What is the NFFS?

BTW, I am liking that AT-6 rudder!!!  I would work on the CAD drawing right now but I went to the dentist this morning and had a tooth pulled and bridge installed.  The pain meds are making it difficult to focus.  I am seeing cross eyed, but at least it does not hurt!!!  Whew!!!
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
NFFS=National Free Flight Society
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2007, 03:28:51 PM »
Brad,
I love what you are up to here - the thing looks good - will be a far better product then what is currenlty available, and will be well recieved.

I will put my order in for 2 of them right now.......albiet that I love building airplanes, I also like to fly - I have a kid on the way - so I see my building time being cut drastically in the near future - so a plug-n-play component kit is something that appeals to me greatly at this time.

Look forward to the Solace derivative also -

KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING.....

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2007, 06:22:39 PM »
Here is the wing test panel after one coating of Sherwin Williams Ultra Fill Spray can primer and maybe 10 minutes of sanding.  This is pretty much ready for color.  it is slick as a baby's bottom and sealed with very little paint.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2007, 07:58:35 AM »
Installing the engine mount.

Here you see the Dave Brown 60FS engine mount (retail $6.95).  I basically designed the T-Rex for this mount, as I have tested them and I would not use anything else (at least in 4 stroke length-there are other good alternatives in standard length).  I will be suggesting this mount for the kit.  I have attached the mount to a piece of 1/4" ply that that will serve as the main firewall (this will be included with the kit).  I use standard blind nut installation with 6-32 bolts.  I really hate working on mounts once the plane is built, so I decided on this method.  It is really easy attaching the mounts outside of the plane.

As you can see, the plane comes with one 1/8" firewall attached.  This will be the "guide firewall" for attaching the actual 1/4" firewall (I am not sure why they put that clearance hole in the firewall, but I will have it eliminated).  Here is the whole thing clamped up for fiberglass filled 5 minute epoxy gluing.  The finished 3/8" firewall is more than substantial for mounting the nylon mounts.

Here you can see the tank floor installed.  I used a piece of 1/4" balsa capped with 1/64th ply.  This will be included in the actual kit.  It was omitted from the prototype so I could see inside.

This is the finished install.  Note the fillets inside and along the engine firewall (they are hard to see as they are light brown). This is fillet mixture is 5 minute epoxy filled with West Systems micro light filler (the best-it ends up working like Epoxolite but takes only a few minutes to use).  This not only serves to strengthen the whole installation, it will serve to totally fuel seal the tank compartment.  This area is ready for fuel proofing.

Here is the PA 65 installed.  Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong rise header!!! Argggh!!!  Randy!!! 

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 08:28:01 AM by Bradley Walker »
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2007, 09:37:45 AM »
Brad, might I offer a suggestion... Have them make the cutout/hole in the built-in firewall big enough to only have an outline left. All that is needed is a reference to glue the 1/4 inch fire wall in/to and a 1/8th lip would be plenty. This will eliminate a little unnecessary weight and give clearance for the rear of the blind nuts. A 1/8 lip would give you a little added glue/epoxy area to lock the 1/4 firewall into the fuselage.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »
Brad, might I offer a suggestion... Have them make the cutout/hole in the built-in firewall big enough to only have an outline left. All that is needed is a reference to glue the 1/4 inch fire wall in/to and a 1/8th lip would be plenty. This will eliminate a little unnecessary weight and give clearance for the rear of the blind nuts. A 1/8 lip would give you a little added glue/epoxy area to lock the 1/4 firewall into the fuselage.

That is true. 

Hmmm...excellent.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2007, 10:38:38 AM »
Brad, your paint scheme is nice. High contrast, with some dark colors can
be awesome.

Nice work.

L.

"The more we do, the more we can do; the more busy we are the more leisure we
 have." -William Hazlitt
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:41 PM »
Brad, your paint scheme is nice. High contrast, with some dark colors can
be awesome.

Nice work.

L.

"The more we do, the more we can do; the more busy we are the more leisure we
 have." -William Hazlitt

Do you mean the Solace?

Yah...  that guy just never panned out.  Almost folded up though!!!  Not to mention the fact that after the 3000th RO Jett runaway, I think I shank shy... 

Pretty POS...  Looks good on the wall though.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »
Do you mean the Solace?

Yah...  that guy just never panned out.  Almost folded up though!!!  Not to mention the fact that after the 3000th RO Jett runaway, I think I shank shy... 

Pretty POS...  Looks good on the wall though.

Brad,

At least you can take *SOLACE* in the fact that it LOOKS GOOD! LL~ LL~ LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2007, 02:16:06 PM »
This is the engine compartment fully sealed with Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer Sealer (water based).  This is a water based, very fuel proof, brush able product that you can find at Home Depot.  It goes on white and thick and smells like latex house paint.

I use this in place of epoxy for fuel proofing engine compartments. 

Of course, this is another innovation from the Master...Bill Wilson.

-George Bernard Shaw

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here