News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:34:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The best video of a dad and his kid flying a Cox P-51. Hollywood quality.  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Greg McCoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
I have never seen anything produced at this level, of a dad and his kid, flying a Cox P-51. A story of a dad, a hobby shop, and neighbors watching.

AMA 77370

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
Re: The best video of a dad and his kid flying a Cox P-51. Hollywood quality.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 11:16:02 PM »
Thought that was Smith Bros Hobby shop.
 Technical adviser, Tony Naccarato.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 02:04:11 AM »
Too fun!  Where did you find this?

The hobby shop is definitely Smith Bros in Northridge, California. And the video technical advisor works there--Tony Naccarato. The plot was perfect for his input--us control line guys (and everybody else, for that matter) always go in there and ask how come our plane won't [list your problem here].

Tony was the guy who had to find all the models.  I had a Testors P-51 that I donated. He was looking for Cox, but I think he fixed up a bunch of different ones. Some definitely survived, because it looked like a gaggle of them at our recent 1/2A Fun Fly. Painted up, they looked better than from the factory....

And then there was the model airplane work that they did for the beef jerky ad.....

Divot McSlow[/list]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:12:45 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 06:30:31 AM »
That model was one of my projects. It had a snap throttle. Quick hard up to kick into high, quick down for idle.  Cindy was my ex-wife. (Not really all that sweet)  VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »
I have never seen anything produced at this level, of a dad and his kid, flying a Cox P-51. A story of a dad, a hobby shop, and neighbors watching.
Priceless - I lived on a cul-de-sac in Springfield VA at that age and we flew all sorts of Cox & Wen-Mac (when the engine would start) plastics.  Neighbors would watch and Cheer when on the rare occasion they came down on their wheels.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:16:41 AM »
  That video isn't all that old. I recognize the guy playing the shop owner from TV movies and such, just can't think of any titles and such or his name. The Dad looks familiar also. They just used vintage cars, clothes and stuff. The box for the second P-51 is for the B model Cox had, not the D model shown. I have had parts for the Sweat Cindy pass through my collection but never had one with the snap throttle. I'll bet that was a lot of fun for a newbie!
   Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
   Dan McEntee

Here's a little Christmas treat from the recent past with Cox models:  The second includes the late, great Jason Pearson.

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »
It isn't old at all. I think it was done in the last 12 months. (I'm bad with dates....)

Divot

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 12:29:45 PM »
It isn't old at all. I think it was done in the last 12 months. (I'm bad with dates....)

Divot

I would guess within the last 5 years. Recent vintage electric R/C models and park flyers give it away. Would be nice to contact the guy that made the video and ask what his inspiration was. If you look closely at the Cox boxes they show the shelf wear and such. My B model P-51 new in box example is in much better shape. If it gets to youtube and more circulation and viewings, I wonder what effect it would have on people that are even the slightest bit interested in something like that??

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
That was really great,thanks for sharing!

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »
I don't care how old it is or isn't. I really enjoyed that.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
Wow, what a great video! Very well put together!

I recognize a red model hanging in that hobby shop as one that I believe Tony Naccarato flew during an indoor electric demonstration either at the 1980 NATS, or at the AMA Expo around that same time. At least it looks like the one!

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
Dan,

How did you manage to stuff a 4 ounce fuel tank in that Stuka?    I kept expecting it to run out of fuel long before it finally quit.

My Dad had no interest in model airplanes, so I was on my own.  It's a testament to Cox that a sixth grade boy could buy a PT-19 at a discount store for $6.00, read the instructions and have no trouble starting the engine, and learn to fly all by myself.  The plastic Cox models may not have been the greatest flyers, but they were good enough to be a lot of fun and the engines found their way in just about every Carl Goldberg I/2 A kit sold.  The Corl Goldberg Lil' Satan was a real eye opener as to what a 1/2A model could do.

Merry Christmas,

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »

I would guess within the last 5 years. Recent vintage electric R/C models and park flyers give it away.
    Dan McEntee
It was the flashlight for me.
Al

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »

I would guess within the last 5 years. Recent vintage electric R/C models and park flyers give it away. Would be nice to contact the guy that made the video and ask what his inspiration was. If you look closely at the Cox boxes they show the shelf wear and such. My B model P-51 new in box example is in much better shape. If it gets to youtube and more circulation and viewings, I wonder what effect it would have on people that are even the slightest bit interested in something like that??

Dan McEntee

It was 2017.

There are full credits listing names of the actors, production crews, etc.
AMA 77370

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
 That was GREAT, thanks for sharing! I love the added little details like catching fingers in the prop etc, made me laugh out loud! Sure brings back some memories, I wonder what the actual reason for the production was?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:22:30 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 09:11:49 PM »
I wondered the same thing, Wayne. When I looked at the on-line body of work for Shannon Van Metre, it appears like it is part of a portfolio of short films used to demonstrate skills to be evaluated for future jobs. My guess, anyway

Dave
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:42:03 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
    Way back when, sometimes in the late 60's or early 70's Gary Frost was approached by some one from Ford Motor company about doing some model airplane work a special motivational film being made about setting and achieving goals. Lots of it was made at Buder Park. Gary was a member of the St. Ann Hot Heads at that time and several members worked on the production. A guy name Bill Rech had a large model he used for the old PAA Load event or record attempt and was designed strictly for lifting weight. They wanted to get a shot of what it looked like flying from a control line model. Easily done these days, but back then the model had to lift a 16mm film camera. They did it, and the effect was great. The story was basically similar to this one but not as comical. A father and son setting goals for building and flying models and meeting them. they started with control line and moved to R/C . it was actually very well done and Gary had a copy of the film and I saw it at Esquadrille meetings at least twice when they could round up a 16mm projector. It just struck me as I was reading this thread again that Gary had that film, and since his estate was liquidated already, what ever happened to it. It never occurred to me to ask him about it before he passed away. And then of course, there is always the film Cox made called "Wally Wins His Wings" and the "My Three Sons" episode where Chip enters a local contest with a Wen-Mac Cessna. In fact ALL the models in the episode were Wen-Mac!. There was an episode of "Hazel" with a model contest and Cox models in it, and at least one episode of Lassie with a hobby shop store front and Comet control line models in it. I would LOVE to have copies of all those shows.
  MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 10:58:31 PM »
Danimal,

The Hazel episode was #153, called "A Little Bit of Genius," and aired April 4th 1966. The model airplane work was done by Wild Bill Netzeband. He described the process and the problems in one of the model magazines back then. Apparently, both Shirley Booth and Bobby Buntrock were pretty quick learners with a handle.

I think you can view/download here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1368938/?ref_=rvi_tt

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 12:07:45 AM »
Dan, In that My Three Sons episode. It was Robby. The episode was called Air Derby.  Season 2 episode 31.
 I found it on Stunt hanger.
   http://www.tv.com/shows/my-three-sons/air-derby-39443/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here