News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:13:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Best Source For Balsa  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The Best Source For Balsa
« on: August 14, 2022, 02:37:05 PM »
Here we go again someone asking where todays best source for balsa is. Below are some sources I've identified, any recent experiences and recommendations will be appreciated. (great source, bad experience, poor quality, stay away, etc.)

Bus Nosen
Balsa USA
National Balsa
Sig
Specialized Balsa Wood, LLC. ---Offered by weight
Model Aviation Products (MAP) --- Offering "contest grade"
Sig
OKIE Air

Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Best Source For Balsa
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 02:55:51 PM »
Check with "Bob's your Uncle" to see if he has any light balsa sheet stock.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 09:00:49 PM »
I've always got good stuff from Okie Air. Haven't ordered from them lately, I've been building kits.

From Sig I've learned to order several pieces of the size I want because you might get a straight one.

Motorman 8)

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 08:05:54 AM »
Balsa Wood Inc. is a good source. At the present time they do not have 4" wide wood available.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »
I've gotten some really light stuff at Hobby Lobby.  This is when the local hobby shop was not stocking their shelves.  To me anything that the fingers go through while handling is too light. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 12:39:00 PM »
The two Hobby Lobbys in our area did years back on occasion have a decent supply on hand to pick through but recently their stock is way down and shelves are empty. Same goes for the Hobby Town we have, they said they have a Bud Nosen order in but have been saying that for months now. They are in a jam because the Syracuse University Architecture Dept. would typically at this time send students there for materials for building model bridge structures. I guess it's time to start considering bass wood and upping the model design load limits. From what I heard it's a competition.

Who wants to order from the various on line sources and spend the money they want not knowing what you will receive.

Steve

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 02:10:39 PM »
They are in a jam because the Syracuse University Architecture Dept. would typically at this time send students there for materials for building model bridge structures. I guess it's time to start considering bass wood and upping the model design load limits. From what I heard it's a competition.

Steve

A friend of mine’s son was a competitive bridge builder several years ago. Each person  or team would build a bridge and then at the competition they would test which one would support the most weight. They had to consider orientation of the grain as well as size of structural components.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 04:42:53 PM »
I just did a brief on line price comparison for a 1/4" x 3" x 36"  balsa sheet. Prices are for what these vendors are calling "light balsa" in the 6 to 12 lb range. Aero Light or contest grade prices are noted where vendors supply it.  What's the current experience on the best source for decent quality?
Steve

Bud Nosen no prices available online, must call.             $  ??
National Balsa                                                             $  4.10      Aero Light 4 to 7 lb Grade $12.34
Model Aviation Products                                               $  5.02       Contest Grade $6.02
Specialized Balsa                                                         $  5.92
Balsa Wood Inc.                                                           $  3.08
Balsa USA                                                                   $  5.79

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 07:31:01 PM »

Added Sig.

Bud Nosen no prices available online, must call.             $  ??
National Balsa                                               $ 4.10      Aero Light 4 to 7 lb Grade $12.34
Model Aviation Products                                      $ 5.02       Contest Grade $6.02
Specialized Balsa                                            $ 5.92
Balsa Wood Inc.                                              $ 3.08
Balsa USA                                                    $ 5.79
Sig                                                          $ 4.42

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 10:22:33 PM »
I cannot speak to anyone on the previous list except Bud Nosen.  When I produced kits, I bought from Bud Nosen.  Eric Rule bought a lot from Bud Nosen, Tom Morris bought from Bud Nosen.  I never got bad balsa from Nosen, whether it was contest balsa or AAA balsa.  For what it is worth.

Mike

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 05:18:13 AM »
Thanks for the PMs sent to me in response. Anyone know where Brodak buys their stock? The Vector 40 kit I bought from them last year has beautiful material in it.

Steve

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 11:53:04 AM »
Speaking of Sig:

I received a small order of Balsa last week.  I ordered four sheets of 1/16" x 4" x 36" 'contest balsa.'  All four sheets were 5.5 lb. density.  I ordered 2 sheets of 1/32" x 3" x 36" 'contest balsa.'  Unfortunately they were over 11 lb. density. The 1/8" C-grain wood I ordered was out of stock.

I also ordered the one Sig Twister kit they had in stock.   I was amazed the price was still $74.50.  I graded all the wood for density and found that all the wood was under 11 lb. and the fuselage blank I estimate to be between 7 and 8 pound density.  So, pretty typical for Sig Twister kits before the balsa shortage.  Oh, yes, the fin and rudder were 5.5 pound and the stab and elevator about 8 pound.  The flaps were about 11 pounds.

In inquired about fuel and Becky said they are still out of stock.  Becky also said not to trust the Website as to the availability of things, but rather give her a call to check and see if what you want is truly in stock.

Joe Ed Pederson

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 12:58:37 PM »
Who ended up with the MAL inventory when they closed.  That was some of the best contest balsa around.  When I was last there about 2 months before they closed, they had a room full.

$12.34 for a sheet of 1/4 x 3 makes me want to collect stamps.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 12:54:37 AM »
The Wind Turbine Depot over on 5th ave has plenty of 6# C-grain balsa.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here