News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:28:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thank You Brian Gardner and John Jorden  (Read 1286 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Thank You Brian Gardner and John Jorden
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
 I bought Brian Gardner's ST.60 ABC and went over to John Jorden's house to work on my profile. I brought over the liner to show him. While working on my profile John decided to install it. I must say the quality of the liner is outstanding and the workmanship of John was just the same quality.

Only one small addendum. The Rod big end was too small and small hobbyists don't usually have the reamers needed to fit the rod. The fix we used was to use the stock rod.

One other funny thing happened. I needed .038 taken off the baffle and I was looking at John working the mill. I said set it to .038 he look at me and said the HF mill only reads down to 1/16. It just caught me off guard.

Anyway, Thanks to you both.
AMA 12366

Tom Vieira

Re: Thank You Brian Gardner and John Jorden
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »
sounds like John needs to spring for some DRO's!!!!   VD~

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 02:01:20 AM »
There was so much variation in the ST V60 its hard to make a kit where one size fits all. Baffle height differences, crankpin lengths, crankpins worn to different diameters etc.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:07:35 AM »
I bought Brian Gardner's ST.60 ABC and went over to John Jorden's house to work on my profile. I brought over the liner to show him. While working on my profile John decided to install it. I must say the quality of the liner is outstanding and the workmanship of John was just the same quality.

Only one small addendum. The Rod big end was too small and small hobbyists don't usually have the reamers needed to fit the rod. The fix we used was to use the stock rod.

One other funny thing happened. I needed .038 taken off the baffle and I was looking at John working the mill. I said set it to .038 he look at me and said the HF mill only reads down to 1/16. It just caught me off guard.

Anyway, Thanks to you both.

You should  do  whatever  you need to  but, About the  piston baffle , IF  you have the means to do it, you will be  much better off making the head slot deeper  and  leaving  the baffle height as tall as possible, When you do that, The engine  makes more power  runs better  and  uses  fuel more efficiently
I have  made these with taller baffles,  also  the  Super Tiger "COMO"  51  in which  Super Tiger  upgraded  their piston baffle with a  higher baffle  runs better makes more power than the old 51  and  uses less fuel,
When you start trimming the baffle down,  you will notice an increase  in fuel usage because the smaller  the  baffle  the  more fuel blows out the  exhaust  without being burned

Randy

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
sounds like John needs to spring for some DRO's!!!!   VD~

A decent 1" travel indicator with a magnetic back accessory is an acceptable substitute. Just don't trust a dial indicator to be 100% accurate.

IIRC, the mil-spec was no more than .006" over the range of the indicator. Pretty serious on a test indicator and seldom would a 2" travel that would pass muster. Mil-spec was pretty unreasonable, IMO, but that is the price you pay if you want goobermint work. And then, there was Boeing...they demanded that we get our 6" scales calibrated, and hang our tools on a board with outlines, so we would know what was to go where. God help us if we used the wrong wrench on our machine...they required an adjustable wrench be on that board. I hate those things, and consider them suitable for last resort only. They do work, almost as good as a hammer!   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 06:28:20 AM »
gotta love industry!

When i worked for Gleason Works once upon a time, they demanded anything on the floor be calibrated.

I got yelled at for using mics that were one day past due rather than the ones that just came out of calibration.

So, i do what any good Grinder would do, i grab some ceramic blocks and show our ISO team that our calibration department was a joke.  My mics were dead nuts, while the "just freshly calibrated" ones were out a thou and two tenths!  When i asked them if i should make salable product with an "out of calibration" gage or make scrap with a "calibrated" gage, they just walked away.

Then my boss started screaming at me....

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 10:04:22 AM »
That's because contractors don't know squat and they are lowly compared to government civies.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:20:12 PM by Target »
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline curtis williams

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 11:22:20 AM »
Life as a machinist.  Good times!

Advertise Here