News:

• March 19, 2024, 01:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tail horn for Ringmaster  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tail horn for Ringmaster
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:56:26 AM »
Working on a profile rebuild and find I need a tail horn that is a little shorter (lower hole location) then the standard nylon RC horns. Has anyone made simple bolt-on tail horns, what material did you use that holds up?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tail horn for Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 12:56:34 PM »
Working on a profile rebuild and find I need a tail horn that is a little shorter (lower hole location) then the standard nylon RC horns. Has anyone made simple bolt-on tail horns, what material did you use that holds up?

Best,    DennisT

How long from base to hole?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 02:08:22 PM »
   For a Ringmaster they need to be between 3/4" and 1 1'4" tall, depending on how the bell crank is set up. Most well stocked hardware stores sell hard aluminum angle that is 1'/16" thick and I've made horns from that before. they may even have T stock also and that may be better. All you need is a drill and a hacksaw and a few minutes work you have a control horn.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 02:14:13 PM »

Best,    DennisT

I use FR-4 ckt board material....without the copper of course.
Not bolt on but just make a slot and epoxy it in.
This stuff will never wear out.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 03:00:14 PM »
Maybe I do not understand the question/problem.  Why not just drill another hole in the nylon horn you already have?

Keith

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 03:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses. The horn I have is already in the bottom hole which is 5/8" up from the elevator surface. It is the last hole and there is no room the put another one below it. What I need is 17/32" from the bottom edge of the horn (allowing for a 1/32" ply mount plate). When I installed the bellcrank I moved the pushrod in closer to the pivot to slow the controls, it worked fine I just need a little bit more throw.

Best,   DennisT

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 04:16:48 PM »
Like motorman said use s Ringmaster horn snd use s ball link and it will never wear out
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 09:49:02 AM »
Found a Sullivan steel horn that has nylon inserts that has holes in just the right height. Will use the plywood sandwich for strength.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:51:22 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 10:54:33 AM »
This may work for you.

I have used it many time when I needed spacing that was different from the standard.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 11:47:06 AM »

On a Ringmaster?  I am very surprised that you would need a shorter one, you only want about +-1/2" of elevator motion total. Any more an it just stalls immediately (and more-or-less uncontrollably).

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 11:48:26 AM »
I have used it many time when I needed spacing that was different from the standard.

Note that unlike the other discussion, this one needs to be mounted well back on the elevator to get the hole line up with the hinge line.

Brett

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 12:53:58 PM »

I set mine up with about 15 to 18 degrees of travel each way and so for it hasn't  stalled
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 01:18:17 PM »
  I set mine up with about 15 to 18 degrees of travel each way and so for it hasn't  stalled

15 degrees ~= 1/2"

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 08:50:59 AM »
Reason for needing a little lower hole was I used a SIG 3" bellcrank that I drilled new a pushrod hole about 75% between the hub and the first stock hole. I had used the stock hole on another RM and needed a very large tail horn. By slowing down the throw I could use a more normal tail horn. Problem was that the elevator wood was very soft so I needed to add 1/32" ply supports on either side of the tail horn mount. This move the old tail up and reduced the throw to where it was a shade under 15deg. The Sullivan horn has a hole that is just that little bit lower and still bolts to the plywood pads.

Best,  DennisT

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 11:49:04 AM »
   Note that unlike the other discussion, this one needs to be mounted well back on the elevator to get the hole line up with the hinge line.

Brett

As usual Brett is correct. (my mind boggles at how many times I have said this over the years).

I would go further and say that when you locate the adjustable horn you need to make sure that the connecting hole in the nylon adjuster is locate directly over the hinge line. In addition due to the small diameter of the horn upright and blind nut you should add some plywood plates top and bottom of the elevator to spread the pressure of the horn movement over a larger surface.

The thing I like about this horn is that it offers infinite adjustment of the height location of the push rod connection unlike other horns that have two or three connector holes. If this will solve your problem great. If not please feel free to ignore the suggestion.
Eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here