News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T-Bolt canopy  (Read 1414 times)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
T-Bolt canopy
« on: August 02, 2006, 09:15:23 PM »
Now that the plans are out for Billy's T-Bolt is anyone going to make the RazorBack canopy?
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
Re: T-Bolt canopy
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 09:25:14 PM »
Who made the canopy on the planes built so far? I can produce almost any canopy IF I have a good form or the data to produce one. I wouldn't take the time to produce a mold if there was not a demand for it that would help pay my investment in time to produce it. I can easily spend 40 - 50 hours making a mold.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »
I could make the plug.
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 10:02:15 AM »
You make the plug and I will do the canopies
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 10:38:59 AM »
Robert, are those not some of the best plans? You can, i think learn a lot about building just looking at the plans. I wish all plans were this good. Put my name on the list for a razor canopy. Ron. j1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »
Ty,  I e-mailed the person about the Playboy kits.  He is having health problems right now and can't work on them as much as he would like.  He stated that he has a list of the people interested in the kits will notify when they are ready.  You know health comes first.   DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 05:09:46 PM »
When the Playboy kits are done you will see why it took so long to get them done. There as several premade assemblies that help the person who is a novice to I-beam type planes to build one. The Playboy kits have been in the making for over a year to insure that they fit correctly. What did happen to me poersonally was about the time the plans were completed I got sick and an infection settled in my kidneys. I went into kidney failure and had to start dyalisis three days a week. On these days I am unable to get in the shop and work. It also slows me down so that on the days I do get in the shop the amount of work I can do is reduced. I had stated on another forum that I would have them out by October.  There is a possibility I can have them out a little sooner and if I do there will be an announcement on the forums.

To give you an example of the type of assembly in the kits. The box beam will be completely assembled. The builder will only have to mark the positions for the ribs and drill for the belcrank post and insert it in the fuselage. The holes for mounting the landing gear wires will be predrilled also.

The motor crutch is completely assembled, cut to length and trimed square. The builder will only have to mount the engine with the metal pads that will be included - no cutting needed to do this.

There are 336 premade assemblies that go into the 48 kits that I am making.  Seven per kit.

I am sorry there has been a delay. I am 100 % disabled as per social security and am doing the best I can.There are
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »
I think a nice O.D. and grey Razorback would be a nice addition to your fleet Sparky! Do the yellow and black diamond/checker cowl and tail too... y1 y1 y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
I am doing more for the builder than is normally found in a kit. This effort is so that the  builder will be able to build a plane that has the same look as an I-Beam. It will have all the ribs but the builder can install them without having to fit every one. I had heard several people say that the reason they would not build an I-Beamer was because they did not want to fit all the ribs or else they thought they might mess up in the attempt. My efforts in doing the Playboy are to allow anyone to build it that has built a normal stunter with flaps. I want everyone to be able to build one if they want to. If it takes me some extra effort to make the subassemblies for the kits then I will do so. I am not trying to rush out a new kit - I am trying to produce a kit that will be wanted by everyone. I am also trying to introduce a new method of building I-Beam planes  - the LASER LOCKED RIB system. When this system is seen by other kit makers, I hope they will want to incorporate it in their products. Another advantage to the Playboy is the wing stability. The I-Beam is not used. A box beam with two full length hardwood spars with caps of balsa produces a much stronger beam. The leading edge is two piece and forms a 90 degree space for the ribs to sit in. The trailing edge is made from three pieces of balsa and the triangular shape they are glued in makes it stronger as well and less prone to warp. The molded turtle deck is formed from a DOUBLE layer of balsa. The motor crutch is completely assembled and cut to lenght and square. The builder only need to moung the motor with the matel engine pads that are included. And the formed canopy is made from 35 thousands thick UVEX - the same material used for sefety eyewear. The built up wheel pants will have extra sheets of balsa so the builder can adjust the width to the wheels he uses. There will also be extra outside sheets so the wheels can be made removeable. There is also an inside structural feature so the pull test will apply the forces directly to the belcrank post.

I had planned to have the kits completed by June however I have been slowed down in my work. I am sorry for that delay.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here