News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: This is the other quad idiot  (Read 6264 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: This is the other quad idiot
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »
Well at least you have a place to fly when weather is co-operative.   At TOPClass meet got word the circle is being replaced with a water theme park.  I guess I'm as much at fault for not driving the 70+ miles to fly/use the circle.   The field Dave Trible is trying to get in usable shape is only 12 miles from my house.  Problem is the other morons with their off road vehicles plowing thru the circle.  The field is kind of out of the way, but once you've been there is easy to get to.   So far the winds have not given me trouble as the tree line is quite some distance.   We do have the levee along the Kaw river on west side.  Need to get down there more when it dries up a little.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: This is the other quad idiot
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »
Wow,
I had no idea it was that bad Doug!

Even here in Tucson we get some turbulance when the wind switches from SE to NW, usually sometime around 11 to noon.  It's usually not nearly as bad as what you describe but can be sometimes as the velocity increases.

In fact there used to be a trash can on the SE side of the field for those that were brave enough to fly in that stuff.  It often was filled with balsa and doped silkspan!  I filled it up once.  A couple of fairly well known fliers filled it several times!  Asphalt is very unforgiving!

As we've aged here and no one is really trying to be a Nats Champ anymore we most often quit flying when it gets rough!  Milk Sops all! y1

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here