News:

• June 16, 2024, 08:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What will become of your "STUFF"  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What will become of your "STUFF"
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:17:07 PM »
This may sound like a morbid topic but it's just reality.  :-[
I just turned 70. As many of you know, I have a huge accumulation of model airplanes, engines and every conceivable piece of hardware and support equipment you could imagine.

The question comes up: When I can no longer enjoy the sport or I have permanently checked out, what's to become of my stuff?

Do any of you ask yourselves the same question?

I have never been married, never had kids. My nephew could care less.
My fiancé (or wife if things go as planned) will inherit everything I own.
She has never been married and therefore has no kids. She would not know what to do with the model aircraft stuff. I will, of course, leave her some sort of instruction but I'm not sure what to state.

With the lack of interest expressed by the majority of today's youth, I thinks it's really a dilemma

Do any of you share my concerns? 

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: What will become of your "STUFF"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
I can relate, will turn 70 the end of the month. Big question is going to be "Will anyone be left that even knows what a CL airplane is". I suspect not many which will make our "stuff" about worthless. The guys that are in their 50's now will have cheap access to all our stuff as we try to get rid of it before we die or our wives try to get rid of it after we are gone.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
Yep!  I just turned 66 and of the three adult kids (2 female, one male) and 3 granddaughters there's no interest in taking up the hobby so I suspect my wife will just call either the Good Will or the garbageman!!    :-\  Jus' curious, make you a deal, if you go before me, can I rummage through your stuff??   ;)

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »
If all else fails, check out the classified ads in MA.  There is listings for estate sales with an 80-20 split. Choose somebody to get the stuff with the stipulation of using an estate sales rep.  She/he/ they/ charity groups get the 80%. My will states part of that way of getting rid of all my modeling junk.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »
   There was an article in Model Aviation within the last year with suggestions and guidlines on this very subject. I know that most of the subject matter in the magazine doesn't meet muster with most of us, but if you don't at least scan it, you never know what's in it. I'm not at home right now but will find and post the issue later. The short answer is planning. Even if you don't have any immediate family to take care of things, you can still make a plan. I have a large collection of stuff also, and have a son who I hope will want and preserve it, because he will never be able to replace it all. But it all doesn't have much monetary value to the outside world. To sell any of it off requires finding just the right people. Right now, as recent events show us, our numbers are reducing right now and markets are shrinking. But the same thing happened 30 years ago, and then there was a renewed interest in our activity. The same thing can happen again once a new generation discovers it, and I think they will if those of us who are left behind contunue to keep putting it out there for all to see. It will take some work butI think it will happen. Everyone back in the early 60s thought rubber power and most free flight would die and wither away, but that hasn't happened. Times change, people change and sometimes things have to be re-invented. Just sit down with those closest to you and make your wishes known on how you want things done. Might not hurt to let several trusted people know. But you have to say something, even as awkward as it may seem.
   Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »
Sad to say but I've seen this sort of thing happen more than once.

Generally it goes one of two ways: The significant other contacts a modelling friend, who will then take control of dispersal of the gear and planes, or the significant other will trash most of the gear and store the planes poorly so they're damaged beyond repair in a few years, and also become trash.

It pays to have a bit of a game plan, and have your SO contact one of your modelling buddies. Giving away the gear to other modellers in infinitely better than putting it in the bin. Hell, it's not like you're going to use it.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »
This is something I've thought about but more along the lines of saving this not-to-replaceable stuff from a landfill.  I've gathered quite a few things from estate sales with hopes to keep it in the game for those who are still flying.  Loads of stuff is given to beginners at the Nats and that could be done at any local events where newcomers show up.  Better to give it to somebody who can use it than to lose it to the trash man.  My fam will get some of mine but I'll be looking to somehow pass it forward.  

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Mike Griffin

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up Bob.  I have thought about this many times.  My wife just says Waste Management will have a field day when she takes it to the curb.  I think she  was kidding (I Hope) but it is something to think about.  I do not have any grandchildren who are remotely interested in building or flying although I have tried to get them interested believe me.  I am 67 and most everyone else I fly with or know who is in the hobby is my age or older so leaving it to a buddy will not work.  It really is something to ponder and I do not have an answer right now for it....

Mike

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
As long as we are planning for the "future" here is what I plan to do: Weed out most (if not all) of the stuff I'm not or am never going to use and sell it on eBay. There's a LOT of interest in other countries and I can't imagine letting my grand kids screw up my stuff! n1  But I can imagine them spending my money! LL~ LL~ LL~
Besides I have lots of balsa that needs to be airplanes..............

Keep a stiff upper lip, Jerry

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
Guys,

It's simple. You don't get to keep it. Either landfill or someone else will get it.

Solution is don't horde, share with others and watch it being used while you are still alive. This way you promote the hobby and have the satisfaction of helping others.

Ron

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
I am currently helping someone get rid of his stuff. He cannot fly any longer due to health reasons. He said he would give me a few good deals on the things I was interested in if I helped him sell off the rest. So that's what we are doing. The holidays kind of got in the way but I will be going back for more soon. A big part of the fun has been just hanging out with him looking at his stuff and listening to him tell CL stories. I am getting a history lesson for free. He's happy its going to go to guys that still fly rather than the dump.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »
A good plan came to my attention recently. A gentleman willed his stuff to the AMA, and it will be sold at this year's Expo starting tomorrow. What could be better, supporting the AMA and assuring that modelers have an opportunity to get the good stuff!

Mind you, I have long made the prediction tha some modeller's widow will end up with every bit of surviving models and supplies and nowhere to dispose of them....   VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »
Already done.  Within the past ten years, sold all engines, kits, balsa and other accessories - mostly at the VSC, but others by mail.  Only things left are a few plastic display kits and a '57 Air Trails Annual.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Shawn Lenci

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »
You guys can leave it all to me.... ;D  Especially Jerry Arana!.  I just turned 48 in November.  In the last year 3 of my R/C buddies, one in his 60's, one in his 70's and one in his 80's have given me all the gear, airplanes, wood, covering, paint, tools, etc. they had left.  My wife has a $#!+ fit everytime I bring home more model airplane stuff.  I just smile.  :)  Actually I have been kind of planning were my collection will go. I have no children but I do have some younger modeling friends that would enjoy some of it.  Over 35 years of collecting and I am not done yet; I just need to figure out what a really "need"....problem is I love it ALL.

Shawn
AMA 97686

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 06:27:09 PM »
 Greatpost Bob, something we all need to think about and plan,

I am in the process of distributing several boxes of modeling stuff for a friend of the family that was a well known rc flyer, most if his stuff was 70 's rc hobby items,  no engines , just a lot of building supplies

The items that crossed over for control line use  ,  balsa wood, paint,  etc, were offered at reasonable prices  to club members,  not a give away , but at great prices ,

The other items were sold to rc flyers in the area. And other more specialized items were sold on ebay for reasonable prices , alotof the items were new in the box , very collectable rc vintage rc items, that brought good bidding prices

The proceeds went to the widow,  with a  reasonable  fee charged to handle , ship, pack and sort thru the items,

The modelers wife was happy, the club  members got some hard to find items at good prices , and we he helped  Clean out his basement   to  help sell the home,

Win win for all

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »
We in Philly have been selling off a close friend's estate. He is in assisted living, not doing well. We get old. Sometimes we loose mental competence. Very sad. The money we raise goes to his family to assist in maintaining his care.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
   There was an article in Model Aviation within the last year with suggestions and guidlines on this very subject. I know that most of the subject matter in the magazine doesn't meet muster with most of us, but if you don't at least scan it, you never know what's in it. I'm not at home right now but will find and post the issue later. The short answer is planning. Even if you don't have any immediate family to take care of things, you can still make a plan. I have a large collection of stuff also, and have a son who I hope will want and preserve it, because he will never be able to replace it all. But it all doesn't have much monetary value to the outside world. To sell any of it off requires finding just the right people. Right now, as recent events show us, our numbers are reducing right now and markets are shrinking. But the same thing happened 30 years ago, and then there was a renewed interest in our activity. The same thing can happen again once a new generation discovers it, and I think they will if those of us who are left behind contunue to keep putting it out there for all to see. It will take some work butI think it will happen. Everyone back in the early 60s thought rubber power and most free flight would die and wither away, but that hasn't happened. Times change, people change and sometimes things have to be re-invented. Just sit down with those closest to you and make your wishes known on how you want things done. Might not hurt to let several trusted people know. But you have to say something, even as awkward as it may seem.
   Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee

You're going to leave me a couple of things, aren't you?
Chris...

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »
As the owner of Black Hawk Models I have offered it for sales but to no avail.  I will continue to run Black Hawk Models for one more year then call in 3 dealers to buy all they want and the rest will go to the trash.  I am 70 years old now and my wife has terminal cancer.  It will take several trips to load thousands of dollars of wood and hardware but it will all go.  
     When a doctor told me that I was going to die soon, I sent all of my personnel items (photos and so on) to my kids.  I do not want my wife to have to figure out what to do with everything.  
     Well that is my plan.

Larry

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
You guys can leave it all to me.... ;D  Especially Jerry Arana!.  I just turned 48 in November.  In the last year 3 of my R/C buddies, one in his 60's, one in his 70's and one in his 80's have given me all the gear, airplanes, wood, covering, paint, tools, etc. they had left.  My wife has a $#!+ fit everytime I bring home more model airplane stuff.  I just smile.  :)  Actually I have been kind of planning were my collection will go. I have no children but I do have some younger modeling friends that would enjoy some of it.  Over 35 years of collecting and I am not done yet; I just need to figure out what a really "need"....problem is I love it ALL.

Shawn

Right on Shawn! They can dump it all on us "young bucks". I'm 45 with a bunch of modeling yet to do! Send it here.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Shawn Lenci

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »
Clint   ;D

AMA 97686

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 08:18:18 PM »

Won't be a problem, when I pass at a "young" age of approximately 243 years old I should have all of my kits built and all of my engines worn out. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
My problem is I live in a remote area where there are only a few of us still flying control line. I do have 16 grankids and 16 great grandkids, and my wife says that she wants to give some of my stuff to those that want it. Out of the bunch there are several that are interested in both control line and R/C. I do give some away when given the chance for new flyers to learn on. I only gave away three last year though, and have many more to go.

I have a fairly large stash of engines with some being worth quite a bit of money. I have noticed on ebay that good spark ignition engines are still going for pretty good money. Not long ago they were dropping in price but now seem to be going back up again. Most are probably being used by the SAM bunch, but I see many of them going to electric. I still have some R/C planes that I should probably get rid of like my old Pattern plane and some of the larger ones that I don't like carrying out of the basement anymore. The trouble is, I still love all this stuff and there are many stories behind every plane I have along with the engines. Some of my planes are over 40 years old and still in very good flying condition.

At 74 years old I am in reasonably good health after having a valve job 3 years ago, but as we all know when we get older the chances of us loosing our health is very real. I know my sons will take care of all my modeling stuff when the time comes so I am not to worried at this point.

Thanks for posting this Bob as it does make us think. This world and all its toys are only temporary.

Jim Kraft

Jim Roselle

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
My club had a significant collection willed to it last year. It is slowly being sold off as a club fundraiser.  A large amount of books from the collection are going to  the ama expo for sale.

Jim

Offline Richard Hutlet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »
Will it to us Canucks. Lord knows we need the help  ~^

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »
An acquaintance of mine a few years ago had a lot of r/c stuff that was out of date, and he had to move for work.   There being no market, and having lost interest, he practically gave it all away to a friend of mine, who gave it to someone else who used it.   Not much market for model planes of any kind around here.   My stuff will probably be considered junk, if any is still around when I am not.

Offline larry richards

• Ensign
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
Hello Robert.  Coming up on 74 in Feb. and thought about this 5 years ago.  True, I was getting tired and really was losing my desire to fly but still loved to build and cut wood so the kit building was the last of the hobby for me.  Then I thought  what do you do when that time of my life comes up ???  That was all it took.  Started a massive sale of all of my kits.  Shut down the shop and sold the shop to a neighbor.  Sold off all of the plans that would sell and shredded the rest.  All of the wood that was used for my kits was sold only this past year.  During this period of time I sold off all of my kit collection which was fairly extensive to buyers all over the U.S....  Engines went too.  As an after life to this hobby, I still work on the REAL aircraft as I am the maintenance officer in the CAF here in Reno and maintain the N3N-3 Navy bi-plane and a Stinson L-5G as an A&P mechanic.  The body and the brain is still active and I still love what I do, and yes, I do miss the wood working but with eyes getting old too, the accuracy is not what it use to be.  Still love to see and hear about the stuff you guys are doing and so sorry to hear when we lose someone dear to the hobby.  When I look back,  I would not change any of it!  I love and live airplanes until it is...  "My Turn"    :)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:03 AM »
The most important thing I have is Stunt Hangar. I have often thought how or who to give it too to keep it going. Someone offered to buy it and I thought about it and said no. Figuring they would just harvest the email addresses and shut it down. The rest of my collection of junk will go to the club.
AMA 12366

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »
It's in my will .. donate it all to FCM ( Fellowship of Christain Modelers) and have them auction/sell it off and keep the proceeds to spread the word of Jesus/Christianity amongst all modelers
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
If you are that age where you clearly won't be able to build your stuff, then put it on Ebay.  Or just give it to your flying buddies, its a great chance to practice generosity.

I have people give me stuff from time to time and I usually sell it off (I have a buddy that likes to sell stuff on Ebay) and donate the money to our club treasury.

If you really hate the idea of giving something away, then "loan" it to one of your up-coming fliers and let them "use" it (as in canon fodder to learn to fly inverted, etc.)

There is an incredible interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) in our school systems.  Our hobby relates extremely well to STEM.  Go talk to the local school system (Junior High) and tell them you'll teach model building as an after school activity.  Within a year, you'll have kids you can donate your stuff to.

If you really are in the situation where you can see "the end of the road" just give your stuff away to your buddies.  Spare your wife and buddies with having to clean up your mess.  Keep repeating to yourself "I know I can't take it with me..."

Mike K did the right thing!

Scott  

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 09:22:28 AM »

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 05:16:25 PM »
I am fortunate to have a local hobby dealer who recycles estate stuff and there are more like him out there using the largest flea market in the world (Ebay) to get the stuff into the hands of someone who wants it.

If the kids are going to haul all of your treasure out to the dump anyway, you may as well list the stuff on Ebay starting with a listing price of one cent and no reserves. Someone will buy it and either keep it or relist it... but it will eventually get to someone who really wants it... and isn't that our real desire?  You won't make any money one way or the other but at least the stuff won't end up as garbage.

Orv.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 05:53:45 PM »
About 4 years ago a family friend had a parent die and he had a huge collection of models, engines, all the kind of stuff we all have. They knew nothing about models and asked me to help. Their question was very basic is the stuff worth anything and how to sell it.

I helped them sort thru the collection, about 1/3 of the collection was thrown in the trash but the other 2/3 of the collection was taken to a local Auction and it all sold. They gave me an engine for my troubles (offered more but didn't need it) and they walked away with a nice check for multiple airpanes, engines and other stuff.

Bottom line encourage folks to call a club or someone who can help sort thru the collection to find a good home for the goods. maybe even drop by a good hobby shop and they might hook them up with a club who can help

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
When Pappy Meriwether passed away, I asked Wayne what was to become of his stuff.   Was told a dumpster was going to be put in the driveway.   I told him no and let me have all the control line stuff.   Must have made a dozen trips with airplanes ready to fly and boxes of engines.   The radio stuff we got another modeler to take and do stuff with.   I handed Wayne a cash sum of quite a bit of money and he was surprised.   Said enough, any  more money was for me to keep.   Ebay was a big help on most of the stuff back then.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
I know of a young guy that always likes to play with new CL toys  ;D

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
Don't call it 'Junk'.  Your relations will treat it as such.  If it is a 'collection' then document it.  Make a detailed list of items, identify everything, include a brief history for each item, include some old photos, clean and store things properly in either a flyable or preserved condition.  If I purchased or received some items from an estate I would love to know the history behind it so that history can be passed along.  It makes it that much more personable and not just a 'great deal from some old guy's stuff'.

Remember that just because your family is not interested in the hobby doesn't mean they wouldn't like to display some items to remember you by.  Put some engines in a nice display cabinet to pass down to the grandkids.

(Great topic by the way)
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »
Thank You Bob for raising a very valid topic for many of us with "Snow on the Mountain" that is if it's not a desert! My wife and daughter have given me the dumpster quote and I have begun to liquidate much of the stuff I don't need or will not likely use again! However there is still a ton of stuff yet to sell off! I had made a plan to give it all to one of my closest friends but he died first! At 76 almost 77 I am of an age where I am more concerned than before.

I do feel that to foist all of my stuff on any individual person, including my Executor, would be a travesty! I thank all who have responded to Bob's post and have gained extra incite from all who have posted. I will scout around for a local auctioneer who also uses the web as an additional bidder to help to guide those who I expect to survive me in the disposition of my Stash!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 12:40:32 AM »
Burn it all and place it in the same jar of ashes so I can take it al with me. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
   Once when Sean was quite young he made the comment to the effect "When Dad dies, I get all his airplane stuff!" I proceeded to tell him that I was requesting a Viking funeral when I died. He asked what that was, and I told him that when a Viking died, they piled up all his worldly possessions, put him on top of it then lit it all on fire. His eyes got as big as saucers but didn't say anything! That is kind of taking it all with you!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »
Hey Dan; I know I am quite a bit older than you but just in case you could leave me one of your old dirt bikes. I love my old Harley but I have a soft spot for old dirt bikes too. Lots of fun on those in the 50's and 60,s.
Jim Kraft

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »
A childhood friend has a towing company and goes to lots of estate sales and other auctions to get scrap he has scrapped lots of Bridgeport's welders and all kinds of equipment . He sells what he can on Ebay and Craigslist. But he ends up scrapping most of it because he says he only moves it once or he's losing money, I bought a few engines on Ebay last year and the seller just sawed the noses off of what looked to be some very well built models. I try to only keep what I can or will use but its a blurry area . :)
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here